Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Osteoarthritis-Knees

Am not!

I wish I had some mountains. I'm doing bleachers at the local high school stadium to get ready for a hiking trip next spring in the grand canyon. But the ugliest mountain I ever saw was still better looking than these bleachers. I'm jealous.

Osteo-arthritis is the main reason I decided to have surgery. Every step I took hurt and I hoped that losing weight would help with the pain. When I woke up in the hospital after surgery I realized that I had no more pain. I am 10 days out and the pain hasn't returned. I asked the doctor but he had no theories about why the pain disappeared overnight. Anyone have anything similar?

chillihot59....years before my surgery' date=' I was taking shots (orthovisc) in both knees every 6 months. I didnt go back to my orthopedist until 3 weeks ago....to start my shot therapy again:(. You see, I last had my shots about 4 months before surgery (in Dec '11). But becuz of the weight loss, my knees were feeling great. The problem is, my knees caught up with my weight becuz of my stalls and sloooooow losing. I had a feeling that was going to happen. I am now wearing my leg brace that I had to have special-made for me prior to surgery...sure fits a lot better since my calves and thighs have shrunk a bit!

I think surgery was too little/too late to save my knees...I have no cartilage and no amount of weight loss can rebuild that. My doctor & I still see knee replacement surgery in my future...im just hoping that my sleeve surgery will help me hold off having it done for years and years and years from now![/quote']

Hi as I was reding you post I was hoping for good ending because I have the same delema with knees also but i was also hoping my surgery would help with my knees also I haven't had any shots yet only taking pain meds please let know how it's going sorry to hear about your situation but weight sergury was worth it for your health as well too. be well

I got the Orthovisc shots in my knee and WOW did that help. I'm pre-op so I'm hoping that taking the weight off will help even more. I highly recommend getting these shots. You can get them over and over also, not like the other shot where you can only get 2 per year or something like that.

My mobility has definitely improved,but I still take alleve e very day.,I couldnt function without it,especially my hands. I told my surgeon at my last visit tnis past mo nday. I told him always take it with food, ,and he seemed ok with it,didnt beat me up or yell at me. But that's me,I cant condone doing what I do because everyone is diffetent

I wish I had some mountains. I'm doing bleachers at the local high school stadium to get ready for a hiking trip next spring in the grand canyon. But the ugliest mountain I ever saw was still better looking than these bleachers. I'm jealous.

I've always wanted to do the Bright Angel Trail down and the South Kaibab back up or vice-versa. Do me a favor. Read the book "Death in the Grand Canyon" before you go. I know it sounds morbid, but 99% of deaths in the canyon are from people doing silly things or not thinking things through either do to bravado, severe cold, thirst or severe heat. It's a fascinating read and you'll enjoy it. Some great history too.

Next May we are going down into the canyon via the Havasupai nation. The only way into the canyon is hiking, horse or helicopter.

Water is the heaviest thing you will have to carry and you will need gallons for just even one person. Overpacking is better and always, on any hike, pack as though you will have to spend the night (or a few nights) in the wilderness. Even in summer, pack a jacket and pants, a knife, matches/lighter, FLASHLIGHT, extra socks, plenty of food (up your carbs) ....

You probably know this stuff already, but I had to say it - especially if you haven't done a lot of mountain/canyon hiking.

and a whistle. Helps people find you. Awwww, you say you won't get lost or fall? Willing to bet your life? Also let people know your itinerary. Never hike alone.

I am going with my wife and her sister and husband. Ive done lots of day hikes but this will be my first overnighter. My wife is very experienced at doing this. She's been on some 10+ day wilderness trips.

I will check out that book. The good news is my clothes don't take up as much room in the back pack as they used too.

I am going with my wife and her sister and husband. Ive done lots of day hikes but this will be my first overnighter. My wife is very experienced at doing this. She's been on some 10+ day wilderness trips.

I will check out that book. The good news is my clothes don't take up as much room in the back pack as they used too.

You are so right about the room in your pack. You wouldn't think big people clothes could take up so much room, but they do! We have to do freeze dried food as we will be in the canyon for a week or so.

You are so right about the room in your pack. You wouldn't think big people clothes could take up so much room' date=' but they do! We have to do freeze dried food as we will be in the canyon for a week or so.[/quote']

Not to change the subject, but I will. :-) On my 'what I look forward to' list, one of the things is packing less clothes!! I travel every few months for work and my clothes just take up too much room!

BB & Catracks, ya'll go have fun. Give me a 5 star hotel any day over freeze dried food and a sleeping bag. :-)

Has anyone noted any improvement in mobility and/or level of pain post sleeve? Since I can't take Ibuprofen/NSAIDS, acetaminophen just doesn't cut it on the real achy days. There is some improvement with mobility and pain but, not as much as I had hoped for. I'm 8 wks out so, maybe I'm just impatient! I don't know if I should consult with my orthopedic doctor, my primary, or my surgeon? I still have to use my walker, when I have to do any substantial walking, because my knee will suddenly buckle on me.

Talk to your ortho about Supartz. It is a replacement joint Fluid made from chicken combs (the things on their heads) that is administered through a series of weekly shots directly into the knee, 5-6 usually. I have patella femoral syndrome which has left me with very little cartilage behind my kneecaps. I had surgery in my right and more than 60% was scraped off. My ortho highly encouraged me to lose weight and strengthen muscles in my legs to help my patellas track better. The pain from walking, stairs, etc. was part of the reason I had the surgery. A few months before the VSG, they looked again and said my knees were osteoarthritic. I had the injections about two months after the VSG surgery.

After the surgery, I was doing everything I could to help the weight loss -- walking, biking -- but with pain. So my ortho suggested this to get me through this hump of working out, but having yet not lost all the weight. The injections are not fun, but it's over in 30 seconds. The benefits last about one year, and should help my own knee somehow produce more of the natural joint Fluid on its own. It's been great, and I'm not sure I could be doing what I have been without it. Just losing the weight helped the pressure on my knees more than I ever realized. And now I have well-defined muscles in my thighs that are helping as well. I do squats, lunges, treadmill, hikes, hill climbing on my bike -- things I could not do when I was 275lbs.