Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Ariel Ortiz- November

Hi KSGirlmomo

Bring loose fitting clothes. I brought way to many clothes. I spent most of my time in my pjs in the room or wearing my most baggy capris and t-shirt.

Yes you will have a drain.

Sunday: I flew down to San Diego landed at 545pm driver picked me up outside rather than at the info desk as posted. His sign was taped to window of Van this was annoying because I was waiting inside and looking for a person holding a sign. Then I remembered to turn on my cell and he has sent me a msg telling me to come outside. He then drove us to Marriott where would be staying for 4 nights well me for 3 because I would spend 1 night at the clinic.

Monday:

Arrived at clinic about 7:15 am the hotel shuttle drove us there. Gloria at the front desk speaks perfect english and so do the doctors. Some of the nurses have a little trouble.

They had me meet with the nutritionist Dr. then the cardiologist for ekg. they weighed me, xray, asked more medical history, took a bunch of blood for lab work, then they took me to my private room which does not have a washroom, shared washroon down the hall a few feet. The rooms are pretty nice and the whole place is very clean. Nurse gave me a gown to wear and little slipper booties so no need to bring your own night stuff other than a tooth brush/paste. If you are bringing a friend they can wait in your room and reas while you have your surgery or go downstairs for a coffee. After I was dressed in gown the Nurse but in an IV and an IV port in my hand to administer drugs.

Then the two doctors Dr. Ortiz and Martinez who actuall do the surgery came and met me. Then the nurse took me into the operating room where a couple of anethesiologist were already prepping. They hooked me while introducing themselves and the next thing I remember I was back in my room and my sister was trying to wake me up. Throughout the rest of the day and night they come in and give you various types of medicine, pain, antibiotics etc. At one point they make you get up and walk around. I was fine so I just walked around to washroom and stuff on my own after that between nap. My sister returned to hotel about dinner time so she could eat there and spend the night. Hotel shuttle took her back.

Tuesday: Doctor comes around and gives you a prescription for various meds that costs about 156.00 us dollars which you must buy before you leave clinic to have at hotel and take home with you. Nurse shows you how to empty drain on your own at hotel. Its easy. Shuttle back to hotel.

Wednesday: Back to clinic to have dressing changed

Thursday: Back to clinic to have drain removed and xray and leak test. Then waited around for driving to take me back to San Diego airport.

The hotel gives you all the chicken broth and popsicles you want in room or in restaurant. I did some of both. They maids leave Water for you although they forgot a couple of time but we called and they brought it right up. My sister enjoyed the food at the restaurant and room service and the prices are reasonable. My sister is a bit of a candy addict, they didnt have much in the little store so she walked about 3 blocks up the hill to Walmart to stock up. The area around hotel seems pretty safe. The hotel has a nice pool area that we lyed around at for awhile but you cant swim with drain and the water is cold.

Any questions just ask.

Oh Jordan1923 thank you so much for that! Answers so many of my questions! Just a couple more if you don't mind. First off, how are you doing now that you are home? Second and I know this is probably silly, but what did you do for you phone so that you didn't have international roaming? Really concerned if we should get a prepaid or what, but my husband and I are both going so I really want to be able to keep in touch with the kids. And lastly do you have any recommendations as to Protein drinks/shakes ect that you tried before surgery? I have bought some Unjury samples that I plan to try but haven't yet.

Oh Jordan1923 thank you so much for that! Answers so many of my questions! Just a couple more if you don't mind. First off' date=' how are you doing now that you are home? Second and I know this is probably silly, but what did you do for you phone so that you didn't have international roaming? Really concerned if we should get a prepaid or what, but my husband and I are both going so I really want to be able to keep in touch with the kids. And lastly do you have any recommendations as to Protein drinks/shakes ect that you tried before surgery? I have bought some Unjury samples that I plan to try but haven't yet.[/quote']

I used google chat and Facebook chat to talk......clinic has phone you can use. I brought injury sample and mixed with Soup or Water.

Your preop diet is in the email material...you have three/four choices of hat to do.

Am doing great, have liked via phone with them several times. Am 6 weeks out, no probs so far!

So glad you mentioned the cost of the meds! Was that with the original fee or an extra charge? :)

The meds was on top of the original fee.

I used my cell texting .75 cents a txt. I left my phone in airplane mode unless I wanted to send a txt. When I was sending a txt all those who had sent me a txt would come in as soon as I took it off airplane mode. Usually on a trip I pay the extra 30 dollars for a plane but for 4 days it wasnt worth it.

I was drinking Boost for diabetics for the preop surgery. I like them ok. I also have some of the EAS wallmark brand their ok but I like the boost better.

I am using hemp powder for the Protein Shakes after surgery which I will start today. It can be mixed with pretty much anything but fruit disquises the taste best. I chose the hemp because I try to avoid as much dairy as possible, given that the Protein is for a long time I dont want that much dairy on a daily basis. I plan on mixing it with high protein vegetables as well.

Today is 1 week home and I am doing fine. Only hurts a tad when I bend over to pick up something. If I stick with clear fluids all is well. I tried a shake yesterday to see how it would go and it made me feel so full I though I was going to burst, followed by diarrehea. Sometimes the diarrehea is caused by my diabetes meds so cant be totally sure if it was the shake. Other people are drinking the shakes on day 4 out and no problems.

This information is so helpful to us...thank you KS for asking the questions and thanks to all for responding!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Everything that Jordan 1923 said!!!! My VGS was June 19, 2012! I am doing great and no probs. I would do it all over again. I am going to start checking on my plastics a year out. I was so scared before I went. Now I know it was nothing to be scared of.

It was the begining of the rest of my life!!

Loved Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez, Josie (my nurse), Dr. Miranda and the entire staff. Hotel staff was wonderful too.

Tip: The liquid yogurt that you can drink on day 2 or 3 (cant remember which day) can be bought in the hotel gift shop. Just ask the hotel staff. I didn't know this. They will give you a complete detailed post op diet.

Tip: Don't take to much luggage. Just comfy clothes. Take luggage with wheels. When you cross the border coming back into the states you have to walk through. Not far and easy. But it's better to be able to roll your luggage.

I can eat anything now. Of course not much of it! I can even eat Mexican food (I live in Arizona!). I have lost 73lbs since I started my pre-op diet till not. I do make smart choices even tho I can eat anything. It is a whole life style change!

If I can help answer any questions send me a message. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much joyfulaz and congrats on the 73# gone!!! Feel like I've made a really good decision with Dr Ortiz hearing all these great experiances!

Hi KSgirl and Bajanqueen your dates are getting close. How are you all doing. I am losing weight slower than I hoped but I guess everyone loses at different speeds. I am down 12 pounds from surgery date, but more from my preop diet as indicated on my ticker. Hoping to speed up the process.

I bought some of the Unjury and it is pretty good with cold stuff. I am having trouble with the chicken Soup and cheese, I dont like them much.

I am able to eat pretty much anything now in small sizes which I still am having trouble judging. If you eat too much then in about 15-30 minutes you feel quite ill from overstuffing. Other than that I am great. Going to start some exercising now, to help speed up the weight loss. Good luck to you both.

Hi KSgirl and Bajanqueen your dates are getting close. How are you all doing. I am losing weight slower than I hoped but I guess everyone loses at different speeds. I am down 12 pounds from surgery date' date=' but more from my preop diet as indicated on my ticker. Hoping to speed up the process.

I bought some of the Unjury and it is pretty good with cold stuff. I am having trouble with the chicken Soup and cheese, I dont like them much.

I am able to eat pretty much anything now in small sizes which I still am having trouble judging. If you eat too much then in about 15-30 minutes you feel quite ill from overstuffing. Other than that I am great. Going to start some exercising now, to help speed up the weight loss. Good luck to you both.[/quote']

Hi Jordan! I started my preop today...bought some chicken broth; ensure shakes and will be making my own with some Protein powder; some sugar free jello; Water and I'm allowed one carb free meal daily. It's still the first day but I've been on this journey for a couple months. I figure I'll live through it for a great cause and outcome! Nervous about the surgery and the immediate recovery, but I know God is watching me; I'm sure it's a normal reaction! I hope your journey continues to go well! You found like you're on track. Congratulations on your weightloss so far! What was your experience like right after surgery? Just curious; I know all experiences are not the same.......

Hi Bajan

Immediately after surgery a little drousy for awhile. But felt pretty good. Slept for a few hrs. Then I watched TV for a few hrs. also walked around the halls a bit to washroom and such, mostly out of boredom. They give you pain meds and antibiotics so not much pain or anything. The drain tube gets in the way a bit so if you roll on it or pull on it, it will hurt a bit. By the time I left the clinic in the morning I felt pretty good. Just be careful lifting or getting in and out of the van that transports you to hotel. I got dizzy sometimes, but as long as I sat down for 30 seconds or so I was fine. Down 15 pounds since surgery date now. I am able to eat anything now as long as it is smaller amounts. Instead of whole sandwich I can eat half for example. At the hotel right after surgery I was eating lots of chicken broth and popsicles. But I never felt hungry at all. Hope this answers your question if not just let me know.

Hi Bajan

Immediately after surgery a little drousy for awhile. But felt pretty good. Slept for a few hrs. Then I watched TV for a few hrs. also walked around the halls a bit to washroom and such' date=' mostly out of boredom. They give you pain meds and antibiotics so not much pain or anything. The drain tube gets in the way a bit so if you roll on it or pull on it, it will hurt a bit. By the time I left the clinic in the morning I felt pretty good. Just be careful lifting or getting in and out of the van that transports you to hotel. I got dizzy sometimes, but as long as I sat down for 30 seconds or so I was fine. Down 15 pounds since surgery date now. I am able to eat anything now as long as it is smaller amounts. Instead of whole sandwich I can eat half for example. At the hotel right after surgery I was eating lots of chicken broth and popsicles. But I never felt hungry at all. Hope this answers your question if not just let me know.[/quote']

Thanks so much Jordan! Your experience is helpful...one of the concerns I have is recovery and and the pain; so hearing you say that you didnt have much pain is music to my ears...well it sounds like you're doing well! Keep up the great work! I'll share my experience in another couple weeks! Thank you so much for sharing!

Well the day is finally here. My husband and I flew into SanDiego today and have been here at the hotel this evening. FYI: the broth really is very good! We are to meet in the lobby at 6:40 in the morning to be picked up. I will let you all know how it goes later tomorrow!

Well the day is finally here. My husband and I flew into SanDiego today and have been here at the hotel this evening. FYI: the broth really is very good! We are to meet in the lobby at 6:40 in the morning to be picked up. I will let you all know how it goes later tomorrow!

Please let me know! I'm going in two weeks;)

Best of luck and go girl you will be great and keep us posted