Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All Food Feels Like It Its Stuck In My Throat And Chest

I was sleeved July 3rd, and I used to think the world was ending. The pain was THAT bad! It felt like every bite was stuck. I swore I would never eat or drink ever again. Thankfully, it passes. When? I am guessing it is different for everyone. In the meantime...Good luck!

Not just eating too much will cause the "stuck" feeling, but also eating too fast. And never chase this feeling with liquid of any kind. I did this once or twice and it causes a terrible pain in the stomach area because I think there is just too much food to let the liquid through and doing so puts even more pressure on your stomach area. I did it my mistake( it used to work pre op) and never again...good luck!

I think that a lot of us had hiatal hernias repaired, much to my suprise!

Sorry to hear that you are still in the hospital! Why are they keeping you so long? Because of the heartburn? That stinks!

At first they keep me because I could keep down and liquids for the first 2 days, then I had problems with heartburn and hiccups. I'm not having much pain, which is good, Hopefully I get to go home tomorrow.

At first they keep me because I could not keep down and liquids for the first 2 days, then I had problems with heartburn and hiccups. I'm not having much pain, which is good, Hopefully I get to go home tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear from you all this is somewhat normal. I'm still in the hospital' date=' I am 4 days post op and having to worse case of heartburn. They say it comes from crystal light lemonade flavor. I drunk some and thought I was going to die. I'm also having hiccups. I had a hiatal hernia repair with the surgery so the first 2 days post op I could not get anything to go down past my diaphragm. I really hurts to swallow to fast or to large of an amount. I pray to go home tomorrow. I don't really know when I am full but I don't really feel hungry.

Did anybody else have a hernia repair with the sleeve surgery?[/quote']

I had to have a hiatal hernia repair as well & stayed in the hospital an extra night due to side pain which I am still having... I was drinking ok @ 1st but now I'm getting that stuck feeling - if it wasn't for that & my side I would feel a lot better... Hope you get out soon... Praying for quick recovery

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm glad to hear from you all this is somewhat normal. I'm still in the hospital, I am 4 days post op and having to worse case of heartburn. They say it comes from crystal light lemonade flavor. I drunk some and thought I was going to die. I'm also having hiccups. I had a hiatal hernia repair with the surgery so the first 2 days post op I could not get anything to go down past my diaphragm. I really hurts to swallow to fast or to large of an amount. I pray to go home tomorrow. I don't really know when I am full but I don't really feel hungry.

Did anybody else have a hernia repair with the sleeve surgery?

I also had a hernia repair and ended up staying 3 nights instead of the 2 nights planned. I thought it was odd because the endoscopy did not mention a hernia.

I've had the same feeling with every single drink or bite I've had so far. My doctor says it's just internal swelling and to be patient. I'm eating liquids/purees and very slowly. I'm definitely not taking too much at one time. I have to drink/eat a tiny bit then wait for the feeling to pass. Then do it again. I eat/drink almost nonstop for 200-300 calories a day at the moment. I feel like everything gets stuck either at the back of my throat or in my chest. I'm on day 12.

This is me, I on day 5 post op. It hurts to swallow...

Anyone still having the stuck feeling?? I still am, I was hoping it would go away by now but nope, it's make'n it almost impossible for me to eat.. Idk what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Still having the same problem, hoping I'll get an answer when I talk to the doctor on Friday. Absoluteky everything causes discomfort.

I'm glad to hear from you all this is somewhat normal. I'm still in the hospital' date=' I am 4 days post op and having to worse case of heartburn. They say it comes from crystal light lemonade flavor. I drunk some and thought I was going to die. I'm also having hiccups. I had a hiatal hernia repair with the surgery so the first 2 days post op I could not get anything to go down past my diaphragm. I really hurts to swallow to fast or to large of an amount. I pray to go home tomorrow. I don't really know when I am full but I don't really feel hungry.

Did anybody else have a hernia repair with the sleeve surgery?[/quote']

I am still in the hospital and I also had hernia repair, it is day 3 and I can only sip Water or hot tea . I also have a holter monitor as I almost passed out the first time out of bed. This is rougher than I anticipated.

For most people there is a fair amount of swelling in the stomach after surgery, after all at least 75% of your stomach has been removed and to the body, this is a substantial injury. Once the swelling subsides it should get easier to eat, hence the stages of eating to allow nourishment, clears, solids, mushy, soft then solid over time.

I am nearly 6 months out, and I feel the restriction even at this point especially with dense solids (firm protein) so I go slow, but I am able to eat about 8 oz or 1 cup of food, maybe 3 oz of firm Protein and some vegetable or fruit, and a little whole grain starch.

There is a video somewhere on this site that answers the question how big is my sleeved stomach? The doctor shows models of a larger and smaller stomach and then indicates how it looks after surgery. There is a bend near the top just below the esophagus, and it seems, this is the area that can be very narrow after surgery, and so the food and drink needs to make this bend before descending into the new smaller sleeved stomach, but as you can imagine if it is swollen, there is not much room in the early stages....so slow and steady is the only way you can proceed.

I know it is somewhat alarming in the beginning, you're thinking what the heck did I do here? But it does get better, and over eating becomes difficult and therein lies the beauty of the tool, it really helps us lose the weight!!!

Of course some people do have complications, including strictures that need to be dealt with, if you feel you cannot get your hydration in, you will need to follow up with your doctor promptly.

Good luck!!

I'm 6 days post op and this might be a silly question but how do u know when u are full I'm really not hungry but know I have to get the Proteins in but I don't know how much to eat :(

I'm 6 days post op and this might be a silly question but how do u know when u are full I'm really not hungry but know I have to get the Proteins in but I don't know how much to eat :(

At this point, about 4 oz of food should be enough in a sitting. You won't feel REAL fullness until you move to more solid food. At this point in my program I was having full liquids until 2 weeks - that was thinned out hot Cereal, Protein shakes, creamy Soups, SF Jello and SF puddings. After that I moved to pureed/soft foods and was able to add refried Beans with melted cheese, regular Soups, yogurt, cottage cheese with canned fruit, scambled eggs, and soft cooked meats and veggies (think crock pot)...and about 4-6 oz at a time.

Now 6 months out I can tolerate about 8 oz and I can eat most foods, but very small portions. I never try to overstuff it is very uncomfortable. I slow down when I get that first sensation of fullness and then I hiccup twice, almost every time, its weird, but alot of people have this, or they get a runny nose...strange but true.

I'm in the same boat! I'm one week post op and have the stuck feeling. Right behind my sternum hurts. Blahhhhhhh I wanna be normal lol I'm also learning I can either eat or drink not both at the same time. Thats gonna take some getting used to.