Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be traveling to the happiest place on earth a meer 39 days after surgery. Doc already said it would be okay to fly but took out vacation insurance just in case. Has anyone had any experience with dining in Disney so soon after surgery. I spoke with their dining department today and they basically said if my family wants to visit a buffet (character dining) I have to pay the full price even though I won't be able to eat much. She said that I can ask the manager at the time if I could pay the child's cost but they don't have to grant it. I hate to make my kids miss out on this experience or me miss out on them at the experience. Any advice on Disney dining would be appreciated. We have a suite with a fridge so we are ordering food for the room' date=' milk for kiddies, sugar free ice pops, Water, etc! Thanks for your help.[/quote']

We go to Disney every year and have been to most of the restaurants. There are actually only a few buffet restaurants, mostly character dining, compared to the number of walk up and full service restaurants. Do you have priority seating reservations anywhere specific? Are you on the Dining Plan? My first recommendation is to check out www.allearsnet.com, they tend to have the most up to date menus posted. Second, don't stress about eating at the World. There is no place better equipped to handle dietary restrictions. If you are at one of the full service restaurants and don't see something on the menu that fits your needs, do not hesitate to ask your server or the manager. They will always customize a meal if possible and will even send a chef out if you have specific questions. It's truly amazing how accommodating they can be.

If you have any Disney related questions, especially regarding dining or logistics, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help! Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using VST

My doctor said they will give me a card which states that I have had bariatric surgery and requests that I be allowed to order from the child's menu. Like everyone said, there aren't always many good choices on that menu...

We are actually going to Disneyland in the next week or so.... I will bee 3 weeks post op. I feel fabulous however I am very concerned on the eating situation!

Let me know how you make out, please! Have fun!

My doctor said they will give me a card which states that I have had bariatric surgery and requests that I be allowed to order from the child's menu. Like everyone said' date=' there aren't always many good choices on that menu...[/quote']

I was told I will be given that card too. Was surprised to findmwhen I called the dining section of Disney, they told me I will probably have to pay full price for the character meals. We are scheduled for two. They will be the most expensive 1/2 a chicken breast I will ever eat.

I was told that restaurants are not required to honor the cards. boo :(

I was told that restaurants are not required to honor the cards. boo :(

That's what I was told too. Poor form on Disney's part. Really surprises me too with how guest friendly they try to be. Guess only to guests who can eat their expensive food. Malready have a grocery order list going. Please let me know if anyone can think of anything else I should get. Remember, only have a small fridge.

-whole milk for kiddies

- skim fr me for Protein shakes

- string cheese

- case of h2o so we don't have to buy in parks

- sugar free Popsicles for midnight snacks! Hope they fit in freezer!

I will be 39 days out at time of trip. Thanks all.

I was told I will be given that card too. Was surprised to findmwhen I called the dining section of Disney' date=' they told me I will probably have to pay full price for the character meals. We are scheduled for two. They will be the most expensive 1/2 a chicken breast I will ever eat.[/quote']

This is going to happen whether you are at Disney or anywhere else. You have to refocus your thinking to the fact that you are paying for the experience, not the food. Very different from the days where we would try to " get all we could" out of a buffet meal.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I used to work at Disneyland and I can assure you that while the people over the phone can't guarantee anything, the people in person have more of an ability to make that call. Talk with the manager and plead your case. Just remember to keep the conversation friendly and not to get upset. They may be able to make that call and allow you the child's price and they may not. At the character buffets, you aren't really paying for the food but rather the experience. The managers are there to help make dreams come true and provide the highest level of service, so they may be able to accommodate your request. You never know until you try. If they can't, just remember that it is the experience that is worth the price of admission.

When you are not dining with the characters, I would recommend:

The Benegal Barbecue- meat skewers, perfect small portions of Protein

The Mexican restaurant in Disneyland and California adventure have a great roasted chicken meal. Healthy and good Protein.

Flo's cafe has some good healthy options. I had a great chicken salad there pre-op.

Also everywhere else, that is not a character dining experience, will allow you to order kids meals, even smaller toddler meals, or even side dishes because they have no idea who you are ordering them for. So they won't turn you down. Disneyland has really increased it's healthier options in the last few years, so if you look for them I assure you they are there.

You can bring all the Snacks in the park with you that you want. So if you decide to eat small toddler meals with your family, maybe bring Protein Bars or shakes in with you to help you reach your protein goal.

I hope you have a great time and the parks are not too crowded for your trip.

At the character buffet if you ask they will make you food without all the junk and bring you a plate. You will be paying full price but, at least you won't be picking through the food attempting to find something to eat. My suggestion go when they have free dining then you won't be stressed out on how much your paying not to eat.

My family and I enjoy eating out after church every week. Portion sizes are so big these days that there is usually plenty so I can share with someone. This way i don't get limited to the poor choices on the kids' menu. My sleeve is pretty close to 4oz so I only need a little bit. Only once did we get charged for sharing a plate. Honestly, it must happen a fair amount, because no one has even questioned us. Good luck and have fun.

Has anyone had an experience where they were told they could not pay child's price at Disney? When we were there they allowed me to pay child's prices at the character dinners. We went to 2 of them. We didn't have an issue with it at all. When we got to the restaurants, my husband spoke with the managers and they were more than happy to allow us to pay child's price for my dinners! All you have to do is ask. If they would have said no, I would have been just fine with paying full price.

At the character buffet if you ask they will make you food without all the junk and bring you a plate. You will be paying full price but' date=' at least you won't be picking through the food attempting to find something to eat. My suggestion go when they have free dining then you won't be stressed out on how much your paying not to eat.[/quote']

I wish I could change the dates of my trip but this us when my school break is and I am a teacher. Free dining ends the day before my trip and starts again two days after. They call it Jersey week down there because so many people from Jersey go down due to the teachers convention

I do Universal Horror Nights last night in Hollywood and it was Awesome! I did have major HEAD HUNGER though! 2 weeks out makes it hard as there was NOTHING in the park I could eat, not a single thing. Disneyland will have better options and they allow you to bring in your own food:)