Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Sleeve Or Not To Sleeve

I am new here to VST so this is sort of my introduction. I just had my first NUT appt today and I'm already in fear of how things will be. Morbid obesity runs in my family big time. My grandmother (4'11" 290 lbs) had the old lap band many years ago and lost some weight but gained it all back. She was healthy except for the obesity and degenerative arthritis that was eating her bones away but what I mean is she didn't have high BP OR Cholesterol or diabetes or anything like that. She died at only 63. She was sick and her body just gave out. My mom (307 5'6") had bypass and had a long line of complications and was very depressed and then she had knee surgery and got addicted to hydro condone she got better and after 6 years has kept her weight off and is only addicted to buying clothes. My uncle had the old lap band but didnt lose much years later he had bypass and had complications bc he was 600+ lbs and died from a blod clot two weeks later. My sister is 5'11 at probably close to 280 or 290. I am 5'7" at 234. I fluctuate constantly I've been from 150 to 242 and back again several times over the last few years. I'm a stress eater a happy eater a reward eater you name it... I've done every diet there is and I've even done the whole binge and purge thing to maintain a certain weight. The NUT suggested I get counseling because even with the surgery I've got to learn to deal with life with something besides food. I have twoboys(9&10) that need me andi want to be choosing this for right reasons. I am just nervous and scared. Any advice besides the obvious that I already know?

And my profile pic is an old one during one of my ups and downs and I was about 180 lbs there

Sounds like you have a lot of first hand experience with obesity and weight loss surgery. Whatever you decide will be the right decision. Only you though can make that decision.

I am\was the same as you. The first thing I did was realize that I am going to change. I started to enjoy the walking in the gym, while I was on the phase 2 diet. I ended up losing 30 lbs prior to surgery that was last week and I feel great and look forward to the new me.

Only you can make that decision because you must be mentally prepared to take this journey. My history with food sounds a lot like yours, always turned to food for whatever reason. I was sleeved July 18 and chose this path so that when' I lose weight This time, I will not gain it back! I was sick and tired of being the Yo Yo dieter and having four sizes of clothes filling all my closets. I hope you read about everyone's journey here, and make the decision that is right for you:)

I have two boys 9 and 10 years old that need me and I just want to be sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. I have read of complicated and even deadly experiences and honestly it makes me feel really selfish for even considering something so risky when my boys need me around fat or not. I know it could and most likely will increase my value and length of life but I can't help but think what if it shortens it. I know no one else can tell me what to do. I guess I'm just searching venting and looking for friends with common decisions to make.

I can tell you are really worried and need to be there for your boys. While there are many successful weight loss surgery patients, as you know some do have surgical complications. Try getting your whole family on a healthy eating and exercise program. Make good nutrition your number one focus. Concentrate on Protein, very low carbs and watch your calories. Maybe you can manage on your own without the surgery:)

That is definitely an option. I just think maybe I've been going about this wrong I mean I'm obviously doing something incorrectly. When I've gone on diets I've exercised and ate healthily but I only stick with it a few months. I'll lose a lot of weight, feel good about myself and then some stressful event will take place and my life gets all out of whack and here comes the weight and the self loathing and depression ect. I just want to lose one more time and keep it off this time!!!

I totally agree with the advice given above. I was also a yo-yo person, being heavy as a child, losing it, gaining some with pregnancy, and then gaining even more. I only wish I had been aware of this procedure years ago. My 2 children are now grown, but had I had the sleeve done when they were younger, I could have participated in so much more of their lives, rather than sitting and watching because I was heavy. I too worried excessively about the complications, and talked extensively with my doctor, reviewed all procedures and mortality rates. I hope you make the right decision for you, and I wish you much success in whatever you decide to do.

I totally agree with the advice given above. I was also a yo-yo person' date=' being heavy as a child, losing it, gaining some with pregnancy, and then gaining even more. I only wish I had been aware of this procedure years ago. My 2 children are now grown, but had I had the sleeve done when they were younger, I could have participated in so much more of their lives, rather than sitting and watching because I was heavy. I too worried excessively about the complications, and talked extensively with my doctor, reviewed all procedures and mortality rates. I hope you make the right decision for you, and I wish you much success in whatever you decide to do.[/quote']

So if u had known would u have done it when your kids were little?

Jessica, I understand the yoyo, because I have done that several times in the last 12 years. Had my sleeve on 8/28/12, and it was the very best thing I could have one for my weight issue. I am also 5'7" but my weight was 275 to 280 and I was at my max and couldn't take any more diets. My co morbitities were hypertension and almost predabetic, so I started my process in January and jumped thru my insurance companies "hoops" and have not looked back. I have lost 28 pounds and no longer feel a prisoner to food. My sleeve holds 4 to 6 ounces, so I am kept in check. Drink my Water and still have my coffee everyday, but no crazy out of control carb cravings. I work hard on getting in Protein and have found fruit smoothies with Protein Powder have helped me. Also, I walk 20 to 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. My surgery was pretty easy with very little pain and nausea. I bounced back fast a returned to work in 2.5 weeks, but no lifting over 10 pounds for 8 weeks post op. My diet is soft food and I am doing well with it. I wish I would have done the surgery sooner, but am so glad I went through with getting sleeved. Good luck and God bless you with whatever you decide.

So if u had known would u have done it when your kids were little?

Yes yes yes

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone. It means so much to be able to talk to people who understand what I'm going thru

You sound like a female version of me. My surgury is this coming Wed I start Monday with all the pre op stuff upper endo etc. I have a 12yo and a 20yo (he's out of the house) and a beautiful wife that's 5'1" and a 105lbs soaking wet (makes me mad) but I used to be smaller when my oldest was younger and did all kinds of things with him but my 12yr old has gotten nothing and he's getting to that age where parents don't matter as much. So I desperately want to salvage at least a couple of years before he's out to. I Took out a large life insurance policy about 5 years ago because I felt then if I didn't do something I was going to die. I wanted my family to be taken care of finacialy if something did happen. I've lost and gained and lost and gained several times through the years.But what really got me to say enough is enough is I was on a diet and went out to lunch and was looking for a salad bar well I found one in a pizza place (Buffett) I did eat the salad and said to myself I'll just eat one piece of pizza but by the time I left I had probally ate 8 pieces telling myself after each one to stop. I realized then I had zero control anymore and needed serious help. I also got to thinking I've gained over 100lbs in 2 1/2 years (I had lost 70) before that overall been obese 1/2 of my adult life I (40). Im sorry i ramble on but what I'm trying to say is I am not really here for my family now other than a pay check and I don't want my sons to grow up and say my Dad never did anything with me but set on his butt and eat. I am nervous and scared to death of the post op side and possible complications but I've did a 3 week all liquid diet sofar and lost 27 lbs with no cheating and walking up to 4 miles a day. I feel like I need to have the surgury to help me stay on track. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. Lloyd

I have two boys 9 and 10 years old that need me and I just want to be sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. I have read of complicated and even deadly experiences and honestly it makes me feel really selfish for even considering something so risky when my boys need me around fat or not. I know it could and most likely will increase my value and length of life but I can't help but think what if it shortens it. I know no one else can tell me what to do. I guess I'm just searching venting and looking for friends with common decisions to make.

I have a 3 year old son and i totally understand what your saying , I have the same fears running through my mind , i guess no one really ever knows what lays around the corner , but for me I am going through with it bc i believe it will keep me here longer for my son and healthier for my son ..... I too have the fear that it could turn out different ,your not alone in your fears !