Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor would not schedule my surgery until I quit. And 2 weeks after I quit I had to take test at lab to prove it then 2 Wells before surgery i had to take test again. I am so glad i quit. They say the chance of ulcers is great and that's awful on the sleeve.

The Doctors where I had surgery would not do surgery on a smoker and you had to quit a month before surgery. I have never been a smoker so it didn't affect me at all, but there are those that have quit and are happier for it.

I stopped a month before surgery, but sad to say started back up 3 weeks after surgery.

I wa told to quit for 2 months prior to surgery and no smoking until at least 6 months after. I'm just a social smoker with no addiction so no problem, I just don't smoke anymore, but I miss it!

I have been told absolutely not to smoke for two weeks prior to surgery and will be placed in nicotine Patches at the hospital.

I am currently smoking but don't anticipate it being too difficult as I usually quit ok, it's just staying quit after a few months! But apart from healing it's also the heightened risk of getting an infection because your immune system is compromised as a smoker! I'm not scheduled until June/July 2013 but plan on quitting well before I go on the liquid diet so im not doing too much at once :)

Good luck :D

Was asked and that was it never told to stop and nothing was said bout after just offered help if and when I want to stop.

Dr fussed some about it, I cut way back before surgery and still smoke now. I healed fine, but if you can quit, it would be beneficial to you. I am addicted in a bad way but still plan to quit before year end.

Hi

I quit 3 months before the surgery (was a non smoker for many years the 2 years ago started again,stopped and started 10 times in 2 years,only smoke for about a month at a time then quit for 2 or 3 then smoke again,stupid I know)

I didnt smoke until about 2,5 months post op.I have had a bout of very severe gastritis about 2 months later.I was sick as a dog with so much pain.Treated with antibiotics and PPI. (on nexium every day anyway)

Then I read how acidic smoking really is.well, I want to get off the PPI because of the Calcium issues it causes so YESTERDAY,I quit!

I think statistics of gastrectomies shows bad problems with ulcers in smokers long term.

I'm a smoker as well but very pre op. I plan on quitting closer to my sleeve date whatever that ends up being.

With any surgery they tell you to quit smoking because of the slowing of the healing process but I've never had a problem with healing even when I had my double mastectomy (lost 26 lbs along with my breasts lol).

In any case I'm prepared to quit although I'll miss it.

Was asked and that was it never told to stop and nothing was said bout after just offered help if and when I want to stop.

Same here, ik I need to for health sake but my Dr didn't push the issue & even when I went to my pre-op appt a week prior to surgery -she gave me paperwork on quitting but only offered - it wasn't a demand... Not that I'm proud of it but I smoked up until a few hours before midnight of the surgery date 9/12 & am back smoking now - I will admit now I'm more conscious of it then before but i do want to eventually...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

If you get an ulcer in that small stomach from smoking you will be awful sorry. I hear it is extremely PAINFUL. My dr. would not do surgery until I quit and proved it by taking a urine test 2 weeks after I quit and another 2 weeks before surgery. I quit after smoking solid for the past 32 years. I am so thankful he made me quit. please try , it can be done.

My surgery is in 28 days and I quit 2 days ago. Hopefully for ever!!

The surgeon barely mentioned in, but only on the nutritional and information guide. I quit 2 weeks before surgery and started up 3 months after. I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day. Cigarettes and diet soda are my vices.