Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Free Vs No Sugar Added

I'm 4 days post op and having some trouble understanding the difference, in regards to the first post op stage, between what I can have and not have.... One thing says no sugar added while another says sugar free. For instance somE apple juices have no sugar added but have tons of natural sugar.... Help! I'm lost

Things that say they're No Sugar Added have the natural sugars in them from whatever ingredients it is made from. Sometimes it is a little sugar, sometimes it is a lot. You need to be careful when it comes to the No Sugar Added gimmick and read the nutrition info label.

So for instance this apple juice says all the ingredients are "concentrated apple juice, Water, natural flavors, citric acid and ascorbic acid" but still has 20g of sugar... Is it ok to have this early?

Yes it's fine to have it. Just don't drink gallons of it because of the natural sugars in it. 20g isn't that much, but it does add up over the course of the day.

Just to add to that sugar free is generally no sugar at all but artificial sweeteners instead to make it sweet, and yeah no added is they don’t add extra sugar to the drink to make it sweeter its just whats in there naturally from like fruits or milk sugars etc.

Natural stuff is better for you than 10 tablespoons of white sugar put in it to make it sweeter lol

So in your opinion sassy, are these "no sugar added" drunks ok to have just 4 days post op?

I would say either are ok it depends if you want artificial sweeteners or not.

If its juice I would go for no added and don’t forget to mix it half and half with Water, juice is a little strong on acid that close out to drink straight so you dilute it with water.

I still mix juice and water lol currently I am on white grape and peach juice I mix with peach and nectarine water lol

ps you can pick up any kind of drunks you want ;) lol

Yes sassy is correct, be sure to dilute the juice. forgot all about mentioning that.

Is that the same with baby foods, those are generally ok to have? Not sure if you guys tried them or not

yes baby foods are fine once you reach the pureed stage of your diet. I ate them for a while myself. as are Soups like cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli etc, as long as you strain the solids out of them first or blend them up real good.

Sometimes a juice that states "from concentrate" still has added sugar because the "concentrate" had sugar and it is their way of not having to say it they get away with it because it originates somewhere else.I used to work at a place that did bottling for Ocean Spray and Snapple.

Also erinsdsu, you have to be careful with things that say sugar free as well. Somethings say s/f but also say sugar alcohol. And from what my NUT/Doc say that too is not good.

I personally wouldn’t buy baby food baby products have sugar in them follow on milk has so much sugar in it its really bad!

Make your own puree its easy you just blend dinner with like gravy or milk or whatever.

Blended food with sauce/fluid makes fine puree and you know what’s in it no extra E numbers or additives or colourings not alot of salt that kind of thing plus you get way more food to section up and store.

Just go to a dollar store and pick up a bunch of baby food containers I have like 40 of them that cost me about £6 all sorts of sizes and they are perfect for either 1/2/3 portion sizes depending on what ones I use and what the food was I was putting in them.