Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opportunity Cost

juny

so back in April i got the job i currently have. i started this process in may and the requirement for the insurance is 6 months supervised diet. ok fine... that puts me at completing the diet phase next month. today i interviewed for a job that under ordinary circumstances i would be over the moon for, its actually in my field, w/ opportunities to move in the company. its everything I'd want...only....at this point in my life i can't really say i want it more than i want this surgery. they haven't called back or said they were interested or whatever....its all up in the air. but I'm left w/ possibilities forming and falling apart in my head over and over. good job = no surgery because the other insurance won't cover, plus I'll be new again and won't be able to take enough time off for another year. its so strange to hope that they don't want me even though its the job that i've worked towards getting for so long. its not like I've had a ton of interviews just a handful.

I've lost 33lbs on my preop 'diet' and i was really proud of it but this whole interview thing plus going to night classes has thrown everything I've worked on into a heap. I've been god awful on my diet...I've gain like 5lbs back. i know i have to get this thing settled but I'm so freaking wobbly right now. on the bright side I've been off of pop since April and haven't gone back and I'm still working out 4 days a week. but i haven't had time to plan my way to thinking about the food I'm eating instead of just ordering and eating whatever sounds like it will fill me up.

hoping by Friday to have my crap together and move on, i can't believe I'm willing to stay at a dead end job just so i can have this surgery but...at this moment in my life, it just is.

ok...i think i broke the rant button.

I stayed at my job just to have surgery. I became a nurse practitioner (no WLS coverage) and I'm still working weekends as an OR nurse, because their insurance does cover it. Sure, I hated to do it, but I had to do what I had to do. I'm 2 weeks post-op, and it is so worth it.

thanks, its nice to know i'm not the only one having to make frustrating choices. i think in a year i'll be ok. but for now... i really feel compelled to do this.

Sounds like the job is within the same company. I wonder if you can ask about the benefits the new job has, then, if it's covered, you can suck it up and do your 6 months over..it's not really a big deal to start over...you'll just have a jump on things and can work out to make your lungs and heart stronger for surgery. That's what I would do. I would also ask to transfer the time off to the new job.

If you aren't "entitled't to the time off, you can take the money from the old job, and put it in an account and take unpaid time off that you'll tell them about from day one...and still have money to cover your bills for a couple weeks.

I was within a couple of months of having surgery in spring 2011. Then I landed a job offer with a good pay bump in another state 1,000 miles away. So, I took the job and my surgery was delayed over a year. Thankfully the *** at my new job also covered the surgery like my old ***.

That having been said, you can always delay the surgery and find another way to pay for it. My only "regret" is it would've been nice to have the surgery and some initial weight loss for a fresh start before moving.

But, life isn't perfect, and delayed gratification builds character. Or so they say.

Good luck with your decision.

you can always think about cobra keep first insu. by paying out of pocket. I think you have 6 months.

Can you maintain your current insurance under cobra if you leave your current job. The premium will likely be double but if its a matter of two months, it might be worth it