Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buying A Wedding Dress Post-Wls

So my fiance and I have decided to plan our wedding for December. We've been engaged for 2 years and since things are going really well for us, we want to actually get married.

Anyway, I have no idea how I should go about dress buying. I know it's too late for me to get a custom dress, as those can take months. But should I get a white party dress? Should I wait until late November and buy something off the rack? Can I trust my mom to do any alterations I might need?

Does anyone have any experience or advice for me?

I would say buy something in late November and you may still need your mom to alter the dress. Some people lose sizes very quickly and some people don't. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Best of luck to you.

I should give more info. I was sleeved on August 13, 2012. I'm down about 20lbs so far.

I bought mine like a few months ago, had surgery last week.... I already don't fit in it... My advice to you (and what I'm going to do) is buy one off the rack! They are hardly that custom anyway --mine wasn't anyway and it was an expensive gown. My wedding isnt til Feb so there is no way I'll fit in my gown by then. Congrats on being smaller for your wedding! I know it's my dream come true!

Off the rack sounds like a good way to go. Now I just need to find something I like, lol.

What does your dress look like? Do you have any pics?

places like Davids bridal (I didn't know this ) you buy the dress right off the rack the one you try on. I think they still order some but you can just buy one they have. I was in a wedding a few weeks ago and we ordered our dressed in May I was a size 20 when trying dresses on they ordered me a 16 and it fit I was SO stressed about it fitting me though.

Yeah my friend bought hers off the rack at David's. You could also order something online and get it altered. That way, you may be able to order it closer to your date. I'm in a wedding in October, sleeved in June, and I just ordered a bridesmaid's dress from Target. It's returnable so I ordered two different sizes, waiting a few more weeks to decide which one I'm going with.

Talk to the Consultant in the wedding shop they can tell you the best time to shop and how long alterations may take.

I'll get on my laptop in a few minutes and post it! David's bridal can alter two sizes up or two down (just FYI) i am waiting til January to buy mine :)

Thanks for all your posts, ladies! I think off the rack is the way to go. I've been looking at dresses for a while on my computer, I hope I can find a nice one soon.

Btw, I had my one month post-op appointment with my doc and I've lost 22 lbs! I'm under 300 now! Hurray!

wedding for December.

@@thehappycat

your fiance sounds like a smart guy :)

he chose YOU to be his wife :)

you've lost 87 lbs!!!! :rolleyes:

you have about 6 months to lose that last 43 lbs before your wedding

don't dwell on that # - you will lose - maybe not all yet, but a # is only a #

you will put a big dent in that number towards goal

as others have said, start looking for a dress "off the rack"

start browsing now, just to get an idea of what's out there

wait as long as you can before you buy it

don't buy a dress too small, that you figure you will fit into by the wedding

close your eyes

do you see yourself? do you see yourself?

you are the beautiful bride, wearing that lovely dress and smile :)

standing tall and slender

you look stunning :)

best wishes to you and yours for your healthier, happier, longer lives :)

kathy

congrats

Milanoo.com is where I got my dress - custom fit to my measurements. It was perfect - came in plenty of time - and gorgeous. I paid less than $150 for a custom made dress that would have retailed for over $800.

If you google them, you'll read a lot of bad reviews but I had a fantastic experience with them.