Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 Lbs Down, Cholest. Down, Glucose Up?!? What The Heck ?

Hi, I had my sleeve on July 6th at 227 lbs. My cholest. was high, blood pressure high, and blood glucose was 101. Had blood test last week and today Dr. (G.P.) says cholest. dropped 40 pts, blood pressure much better but blood glucose is 103. (you want 65-99). Has anyone else had this happen? I have a call into my surgeon but was hoping for some feedback from my sleeve friends. thanks.

if you use a lot of sugar free products, like aspartame (which is nutrasweet, crystal light, sugar free jello/pudding, etc), sucralose (splenda, mio, etc), sucrose, etc.. then one of the side effects is that it can raise your blood sugar and/or blood glucose. lol THE IRONY! but it does happen!

here's a great article on how artificiall sweeteners can be worse for diabetics than sugar: http://articles.merc...than-sugar.aspx

Aspartame

Aspartame is one of the artificial sweeteners approved by the U.S. food and Drug Administration. It’s found in a variety of foods, including some baked goods, canned foods, candy and dairy products. Aspartame is a synthetic sugar that’s significantly sweeter than real sugar, but contains no calories. Possible benefits of aspartame include weight control and preventing dental cavities, according to MayoClinic.com.

Blood Glucose Levels

Scientists at Maastricht University in the Netherlands investigated the effects of aspartame on blood glucose levels in healthy males. Subjects drank a beverage containing aspartame on three separate visits. Blood glucose levels were measured before and after aspartame consumption. At the end of the study, which was published in the December 1999 issue of the “British Journal of Nutrition,” researchers observed that 40 percent of participants had decreases in blood glucose levels, whereas 20 percent experienced an increase. In addition, 40 percent had stable blood glucose levels.

Insulin Levels

Researchers at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center studied the impact of aspartame on blood glucose and insulin levels. Subjects were assigned aspartame, stevia or sucrose with their lunch and dinner meals. Scientists observed that those in the aspartame group had higher blood glucose and insulin levels after their meals compared with those in the stevia group. The findings were reported in the August 2010 issue of “Appetite.”

Side Effects

Aspartame consumption has several side effects, including nausea, bloating, diarrhea, stomach upset and headache, according to MayoClinic.com. If you experience any of these side effects, reduce or eliminate aspartame from your diet.

Source: http://www.livestron...in-in-the-body/

Splenda

The web site www.truthaboutsplenda.com lists a variety of consumer complaints from Splenda consumption, such as:

• Gastrointestinal problems
  • Migraines
  • Seizures
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Allergic reactions
  • Blood sugar increases
  • Weight gain

My site also contains a long list of personal testimonials from readers who have suffered side effects from Splenda. In fact, we have more people on our site that have reported adverse reactions to Splenda than were formally studied in the research submitted for FDA approval!

The symptoms are so numerous I can’t include them all here, but the following are common symptoms, usually noticed within a 24-hour period following consumption of Splenda products:

• Skin -- Redness, itching, swelling, blistering, weeping, crusting, rash, eruptions, or hives (itchy bumps or welts). These are the most common allergic symptoms that people have.
  • Lungs -- Wheezing, tightness, cough, or shortness of breath.
  • Head -- Swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat; headaches and Migraines (severe headaches).
  • Nose -- Stuffy nose, runny nose (clear, thin discharge), sneezing.
  • Eyes -- Red (bloodshot), itchy, swollen, or watery.
  • Stomach -- Bloating, gas, pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea.
  • Heart -- Palpitations or fluttering.
  • Joints -- Joint pains or aches.
  • Neurological -- Anxiety, dizziness, spaced-out sensation, depression.

Beware – You Could be Consuming Splenda Without Your Knowledge

You also need to be aware of the fact that although the bulk of Splenda is sold to processed food manufacturers and soft drink bottlers, it could turn up in your medicine as well, as nearly 10 percent of all sucralose is sold to drug companies.

Many times sucralose (Splenda) will not be listed in the drug information, so there simply is no way you would know you are consuming a potentially dangerous artificial sweetener. However, if you experience any of the symptoms above even though you’re avoiding Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, then it may be worth investigating the ingredients of any medications you’re taking as well.

source: http://articles.merc...ul-effects.aspx

natural/better alternatives to sugar:

Swerve Sweetener (http://www.swervesweetener.com/)

stevia

lo han

xylitol

Sweet N Low doesn't affect your blood glucose levels, but figured you'd wanna hear about it anyway... so i posted it at the bottom. :)

Saccharin/Sweet N Low

This sweet mess is saccharin (think Sweet and Low). It was first produced in 1878 by a chemist working on coal tar derivatives at Johns Hopkins University. After working with his compounds all day, he discovered that his hand tasted “sweet.”1 Not really sure how it came about that he tasted his hand, but there it is.

Today, saccharin is commonly manufactured by combining anthranilic acid (used among other things as a corrosive agent for metal) with nitrous acid, sulfur dioxide, chlorine, and ammonia. Yes, that’s right. Chlorine and ammonia.

In fact, that particular group of chemicals sounds more like a recipe for a household cleaner than a sweetener. And yet, millions upon millions of people consume saccharin every year.

source: http://naturalhealthsherpa.com/saccharin-danger-side-effects/52849

Sheree, I don't know about the above info., but I had surgery on July 10 and my blood sugar has remained stable. Fasting in the low 100's. I have been diabetic for about 10 yrs. and it is going to take more weight loss to get mine to budge. I just have to keep checking it every day or so to see if it goes down. I am still on the same diabetic meds that I was on before surgery. I would love to be able to stop them, but so far it is not happening.

My bs fasting has been over 100 a few times in preop tests but non fasting it's been in the 80s. My endocrinologist said with fasting you can become a little dehydrated which can make it be slightly elevated. I wouldn't worry about 103 it's barely high

I understand your concern that your blood sugar went up. However going up from 101 to 103 is negligible. Two different meters or two different test sticks from the exact same blood sample at the same time could have given you this difference. In all reality, your blood sugar hasn't changed at all since you've been sleeved, it has remained stable. Also, a blood sugar level of 103 really isn't that bad. It's something to watch, but it isn't considered a diabetic result.

I understand your concern that your blood sugar went up. However going up from 101 to 103 is negligible. Two different meters or two different test sticks from the exact same blood sample at the same time could have given you this difference. In all reality, your blood sugar hasn't changed at all since you've been sleeved, it has remained stable. Also, a blood sugar level of 103 really isn't that bad. It's something to watch, but it isn't considered a diabetic result.

I totally agree, I am a nurse and soon to be diabetes educator!

WOW thanks for the info, I really appreciate your time.

Sheree, I don't know about the above info., but I had surgery on July 10 and my blood sugar has remained stable. Fasting in the low 100's. I have been diabetic for about 10 yrs. and it is going to take more weight loss to get mine to budge. I just have to keep checking it every day or so to see if it goes down. I am still on the same diabetic meds that I was on before surgery. I would love to be able to stop them, but so far it is not happening.

thanks for the post. I wish you luck.