Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 6 Week Plateau And Feeling Like Giving Up

Hello all,

I could really use any and all advice and encouragement today. I had surgery 4-30 and was 219 on surgery day. I knew I was not going to be the fastest loser on the planent given my age (53), status in life (going through menopause) and just past history. I was ok with this. But as of 7-30 I weighed 195.8 and have been some version of 195.something for the last 6 weeks. I started exercise classes in mid July and all went well for a few weeks then I hit this wall. I eat about 1200 calories a day, sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more. Never more than 1300 and usually a little under 1200. I work out 3 nights a week for an hour and these classes are not playing around I can tell you. I come home soaked in sweat. Now before someone says that I should be working out every day, which I do know, shouldn't I be losing anyway? I am just so discouraged right now. Has anyone else gone through this? Do you think adding more exercise really will help? I am almost afraid to try because I don't want to feel worse about this. And I don't think I can eat too much less or I won't be getting the Protein in I need. I just keep thinking that on my own without surgery I at least got down to the 180's before hitting this kind of plateau. And I ate a lot more and didn't exercise at all!! See my frustration? Ok, thanks you guys.. :)

HEY!!! I doubt anyone here is going to tell you to do more exercise! Or at least more of that intensity :) I think at 4 months or so you've done AMAZING!!!!!!!

Now it is very likely an adjustment period! It just happens, my doctors call it "starvation mode". You're body freaks and clings onto any fat... There are two ways to break it- eat more or eat less... I have learned the very hard way that eating more is the key!!! I swear! You need to add very fibrous carbs in, some apples, dried fruits, whole seed grains (you can find a recipe for a dense grainy bread somewhere and have a slice in the morning) and some nuts like macadamias or almonds... I have a trail mix made up that is my go-to food, a small handful is my goal!

Exercise also works better in increments so if you can switch one of those classes for a 30 min treadmill or elliptical with 5 min walk 2 min jog/run then back to walk again then you will jump start your cardio in a different way :D

Finally! Apart from being so proud of you for taking your life into your hands (my mum is 52 and has given up/ ready to die) I do know how you feel. I bet you look at your body and can't even see the differences you used to get so excited over! I challenge you to put that 25 pounds in a backpack and carry it around! Not only will it remotivate you, but it might help burn some cals too!

DO NOT GIVE UP! Simply start again with small steps! Thanks to this you have the rest of your life to continue working at it!!!

You know, I'm NOT telling you to exercise. You should, you know that. I don't. I should. I know that. Enough said. LOL

Now... I plateaued for about 2 months. NO LOSS. I lost alittle bit in inches... like maybe an inch on my hips. I was sad, rage filled, in dispair... and then, for some reason, my body let it go. I'm talking 14 lbs in one week. I don't get it. I didn't change anything. It just happened. It's done this before in smaller increments, so it's par for the course I guess. It's common to lose in stair steps. My doctor said that it's because we have undergone such a huge change so fast that the body kind of stops and adjusts from time to time. Some lucky people go down steadily, but not most.

So don't lose hope. Keep eating sensibly, jornal your food, drink enough Water, and try to exercise if you can. Try not to stress, and be patient. I also agree with Cookeeeeez. Eat alittle more. Heck, I even will add a small bowl of ice cream here and tehre to break a stall. Just use caution. LOL

The only thing that raised an eyebrow for me was the amount of calories you're eating daily. I'm 3 months post-op (tomorrow), and am only eating about 600 calories a day (on average...some days 550'ish, some days 650'ish). I'm very careful to keep my carbs below 30 grams/day, in order to maintain ketosis (think Atkins diet)...that helps to burn fat, to make up for the decreased level of carbs.

What are you eating daily? How much Protein, carbs, fat, Water, etc? What kinds of foods are you eating? Lots of Protein and veggies? Or lots of starchy things (rice, bread, potato, Pasta, corn, etc)? Are you tracking everything you eat, to make sure you don't have calories sneaking in on you? Have you spoken with your nutritionist, to see if they have any suggestions on how to get things kick-started?? Changing up your diet may be a place to start, if more exercise isn't do-able.

I wish you the best

Laura

The only thing that raised an eyebrow for me was the amount of calories you're eating daily. I'm 3 months post-op (tomorrow)' date=' and am only eating about 600 calories a day (on average...some days 550'ish, some days 650'ish). I'm very careful to keep my carbs below 30 grams/day, in order to maintain ketosis (think Atkins diet)...that helps to burn fat, to make up for the decreased level of carbs. [/quote']

I agree, according to my NUT I shouldn't increase to 1,000 calories until 1 year. I will be at 400-600 until 6-8 mos.

Having said that, I understand your frustration, it's a bummer to stop losing (infamous 3 week stall here)

Take care!

These have been really helpful to me! Thanks! A 2 month stall?? That gives me hope. Because I keep thinking I am done at 195 pounds which is really depressing. And the last 2 replies about eating the lower amount of calories is interesting because I feel like maybe I should be eating less. But my nutritionist actually suggested 1) add 2 more days of exercise and keep it at 1200 calories (although for me it's usually a little less) and if that doesn't work to try to actually add 100 calories. It's interesting how some folks say add and some day subtract. I think I am going to try to eat a little bit less first. I am keeping track and I am eating Protein first and do not eat many carbs. Hard to get in the veggies and fruits though. I try to eat a fair number of salads with protein so I can get some greens in. Anyway, love the replies and I really, really appreciate it. Just knowing there was at least one person out there like Caradina who also had a really long stall gives me hope. Thanks!

Oh yes, I'm not an expert on how many calories you should def. be eating at your stage, but I suppose it depends on what makes up those calories... Sometimes I have a super high day of cals (for me) but its because I woke up at 4am and had lots of healthy Snacks during a long busy day, and vice versa.

If your body says maybe its eating too much then that's great :) problem solved for you. I just have had probs in the past with not eating enough but that's my journey :D I just wish you great luck and all the success in the world!