Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess this is more of a vent or rant or whatever but the closer I get to my actual surgery the more I get the fear of failure. I know of 2 people personally who have been sleeved and are at least 6 months out and one of them actually gained weight and the other 40lbs and then started to gain again. One of these women exercise daily and eats properly yet she is gaining again. I know failure is usually due to wrong diet or not exercising but what if I do all of that and it doesnt work?? I have done my research and know the success rate is very high for sleeve and I try to stay as positive as much as I can but I still get that fear in the back on my head that I will be one of those who fail. I have an amazing husband who is supporting me throughout this whole process but he is the only support I have outside of this site. I have several friends however they have already expressed their opinion about wls on others who have had it and its not good so I have decided its none of their business so I am not telling them. I have another friend who had the full gastric (roux en y) and 1 month out she is eating cheese burgers and fries for lunch so she is not the support that I need thru this because she just ruined the tool that was given to her by the surgeon. I know this is the right thing for me for to do for myself and i plan on going thru with it but just afraid it wont work. I have been overweight my entire life and EVERYTHING that I tried did not work and I know this is true with all of you otherwise you would not have decided on surgery. Sorry again just a nagging thought in my head I had to get out.

I feel the exact same way. My surgery is on Sept 21. I can't even do the liquid diet right now.

FINALLY!!!!!!! someone with the same surgery date as me! :) I am glad im not the only one who feels that way.

COOL!! I'm going to Mexico for my surgery. I have been doing videos on Youtube, I'm VSGJean. I love watching other peoples videos, it truly helps knowing that you aren't the only one.

Fear of failure is normal. Remember before you go in that this is not magic. You still have to work at it but that doesn't mean you will fail. When I heard this before my surgery (That I would have to do some work too) I thought ...forget it then! I am weak and if I had any smidgeon of ability to control my food intake then I wouldn't need surgery! But here is the difference. You already DO have willpower and ability whether you know it or not. The fact that you are still alive and still reaching out for help proves it. Imagine if you tried to shovel your snowy driveway with a teaspoon. You would get frustrated and give up. But if someone suddenly gave you a snowblower you'd say "Ok! Now I'm in business!" You would still have to do some of the work BUT now you have the tool to help you. Suddenly your confidence will grow and you will find you had strength in there you didn't even know b/c too many years of failure had weighed you down and frustrated you. You can do it! If I can...anyone can. But know this--you will have to exercise. You will have to work at it mentally. You will have to forgive yourself for mistakes. But you can do it.

Holly, you are a true inspiration!! Thank you for your comment. I feel a bit better, I know I will great after my surgery. I love to exercise, I did it for 9 months and only lost 12 pounds. I was very discourage. I know with this new tool I am giving to myself is going to be life changing.

I feel the same way as you ladies! Thank you Holly, you are an inspiration. My surgery is this Friday I was supposed to start my liquid diet last Friday and couldn't do it. I'm trying to start today. Drinking my first Protein Shake now. I hope and pray everyday that I will succeed. I will pray for you ladies as well.

Holly I love the snowblower analogy. I know it's going to be tough but to read what you posted is motivating.

I was sleeved 9/6, two nights in the hospital and now home. The hardest thing was the post op 10 day liquid diet. The first few days with almost no carbs made me a little crazy and then by day 10 I was worn out (staying at the hospital with my 92 yo dad overnight, did not help). I think the tiredness was mostly emotional. Good news? I lost 20 lbs. on post op!

I am feeling ok. Slept in my bed, no meds except tylenol since I left hospital. Drinking EAS shakes. Little bit at a time. Bedroom upstairs, no problem. I think the meds were holding me down.

. I gained some weight in the hospital, was puffed up by the fluids, not worried. It will go on its own. Some pain between the ribs and under the shoulders but walking on the treadmill for short time often. Trying to move around a bit. I have a very high pain tolerance so that helps alot.

I wish you all the best!

Libby I hate the idea of pain. I have a high pain tolerance but when I do feel it I turn into a big baby! Also according to my NUT she said I will be on puréed foods once I leave the hospital so not just a liquid diet which I think wil help me some.

I feel the same way as you ladies! Thank you Holly, you are an inspiration. My surgery is this Friday I was supposed to start my liquid diet last Friday and couldn't do it. I'm trying to start today. Drinking my first Protein Shake now. I hope and pray everyday that I will succeed. I will pray for you ladies as well.

I'm starting to think that they say 2 weeks, because they know it will take a week to get adjusted to it!! It's like when you have a friend that is always 30 minutes late to everything, you start telling her that everything is 30 minutes earlier so she will be there on time.

I never considered failure. I thought if you just followed the NUT n4 and exercised you would see the results....hmmm Im going to have to google this. Im surprised to here your friend did eat right and exercised and gained.....hmmmmm

I was too. I actually wondered if she is not doing everything the right way when she is not around us.

I too am getting sleeved the 21st! I have the same fears, I have a friend who got the realize band in January and has gained weight. However, I agree that it's not magic and I will have to work (and I will fail sometimes) but in the end I will succede because I am trying. And you will too! (succede)!