Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband To Sleeve- Have Some Questions :)

I have had my lapband since 2005. My starting weight was 230, my lowest weight was 174 (lasted about a month) and now I am at 265! My band is unfilled because I never felt full. I just felt pain when I ate (unless it was soft foods or liquids)...this was no way to live. I had a unfill and found out my port is tilted (most painful adjustment ever!!). I really want to lose weight and live a fuller life! I have been researching the sleeve and am hoping it will work for me! Any help with these questions is MUCH appreciated!

-I read a lot of people saying sleeve doesnt work after having a lapband :/ is this true? I am SO scared of making a wrong choice

-Is it possible to have a band and sleeve?

-Why do more surgeons not offer the "net" around the stomach to help prevent stretching?

-Weight loss aside; are you able to drink a small amount of alcohol (like a glass or two of wine)?

-Do you feel like you get enough energy from what you eat?

-Do you find yourself craving carbs or did the sleeve help kill that “I gotta have some bread and butter!!!”. Because even when I stuff myself with other foods, I still have that mental “but you didn’t have what you really wanted” feeling.

-Since this is removing some of the stomach, do you feel like some surgeons are better than others? Like it’s an art? I am curious why some people fail and some succeed. Could it be the surgeons don’t remove enough stomach or do it wrong? I also ask this because I would consider going out of state (not out of country for a surgeon more experienced with lapband to sleeve.

-Do you believe WLS is like breast implants, where you should prepare yourself that you may need to have “maintenance” done on it? Whether that be revision or additional surgery to correct complications? I explained to my boyfriend I always knew it was a possibility that I may need my band fixed or removed because I saw many patients with slips and port issues.

-Can someone have the sleeve done 2x if they gain weight back?

-My lapband surgeon is charging 22k for band removal to sleeve. Expensive! I already paid 19k out of pocket for my lapband, and it didn't work out. And I REALLY did try. This would be a 41k investment-- sigh.

Many of my question stem from my fail with my lapband.

Thank you for everyones replies... I have read this site over for days and finally wanted to post!

I am going for my revision on Monday.

A couple of answers for you: they use a special sizing instrument so no, they can't not take enough, 85% of your stomach is being removed. No need to remove more later.

I am going to Mexico and paying $5500.00 for revision, and endoscopy.

What is a net around the stomach never heard of this...........................

Hopefully you won't want bread and butter...............you won't be able to eat copious amounts of food ever again. Kind of like with the band, my eating since having it has never been as much as it was, just not able to. They also say that your food preferences change hopefully you won't want bread and butter.

I also wonder where you have read that lapband to sleeve is not successful, I have not read that at all. They remove a large portion of your stomach which is totally different than the band secured around the upper portion of your stomach. Two totally different surgeries with different outcomes.

I ask about Sleeve with band because they perform plication with band. I was curious why they didn't do this with the sleeve... some people mention they don't feel full with the sleeve or weight gain. I always felt like my band didn't work like it should because my upper pouch would fill and then my lower stomach would still be "hungry".

search "failed sleeve" or "weight gain after sleeve" you'll see lots of people mention they were revisions.

Also- my surgeon lets you choose the size of your sleeve.

I ask about Sleeve with band because they perform plication with band. I was curious why they didn't do this with the sleeve... some people mention they don't feel full with the sleeve or weight gain. I always felt like my band didn't work like it should because my upper pouch would fill and then my lower stomach would still be "hungry".

search "failed sleeve" or "weight gain after sleeve" you'll see lots of people mention they were revisions.

Also- my surgeon lets you choose the size of your sleeve.

I will leave the chosing to my doctor as he is the expert. Like anything there will always be people who are not successful, you have to make sure that you are not one of them. Good Luck in whatever you chose to do.

Plivation they are able to leave the band on. Sleeve you can't. I talked to my doc, I had almost all the same questions! Hah, message me and I'd be happy to fill you in on what we talked about!!

I am short on time, but wanted to respond to you. I had the band for 10 years, had it removed in Sept 2011 and was sleeved Dec 12 2011.

Results? AMAZING!

I never lost this well with the band. I never felt this good eating with the band. I never had this reduction in desire to eat and other cravings. The sleeve is about 1000 times better then the band!!!

However, I have also taken my personal lessons learned from my band experience and have been a better patient this time. It is all so much clearer to me know what I need to do to acheive my goal of lifelong "weight control". I thought I was ready with the band, but truly I didn't have complete education and support in place. I made sure it was there this time before going under the knife!

I have lost 123 pounds - wow! I am the lightest I have been since I was in my 20s, sometime in the late 1980s. Life is really great and I feel that this revision literally saved me.... my weight and eating was pretty out of control as I was over 300# last year. My drive to eat, my desire for food was so strong I could not manage it without surgery. I was full on into a metabolic disorder/insulin resistance and just could not break free. With the sleeve as the tool helping me make changes to what I eat, how I eat, how often I eat and most important... how much I eat - I no longer go around starving thinking about my next meal. And, I continue to lose weight and am confident I will make my goal.

My weight loss rate with the sleeve has been on par with what is expected for a "virgin" sleever.

I am convinced that the hunger/failure post sleeve has more to do with people not eating in a way that is most supportive of weight loss. I had a larger size sleeve and it has worked great for me. I posted yesterday in the "post op" forum about my experience on a recent business trip that covers this topic of "ways of eating" and how it impacts the sleeve experience.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/58608-do-you-feel-that-you-can-eat-too-much/

In order to have long term success with the sleeve you need to continue following the rules. You can "eat around" or fail at ANY WLS. RNY is very successful, but the internet is full of failure and regain stories - for the most part I think similiar reasons. Educate thyself and stick to the guidelines and the sleeve does work!

I am convinced that the hunger/failure post sleeve has more to do with people not eating in a way that is most supportive of weight loss. I had a larger size sleeve and it has worked great for me. I posted yesterday in the "post op" forum about my experience on a recent business trip that covers this topic of "ways of eating" and how it impacts the sleeve experience.

http://www.verticals...n-eat-too-much/

In order to have long term success with the sleeve you need to continue following the rules. You can "eat around" or fail at ANY WLS. RNY is very successful, but the internet is full of failure and regain stories - for the most part I think similiar reasons. Educate thyself and stick to the guidelines and the sleeve does work!

Thank you for all the great information! This is very valuable to me, I have been so nervous about making the wrong choice! I feel like I can eat healthy but its my portions that are crazy! And how often I eat. With my band I liked healthy food, but I was hungry all the time!!

I have had my lapband since 2005. My starting weight was 230, my lowest weight was 174 (lasted about a month) and now I am at 265! My band is unfilled because I never felt full. I just felt pain when I ate (unless it was soft foods or liquids)...this was no way to live. I had a unfill and found out my port is tilted (most painful adjustment ever!!). I really want to lose weight and live a fuller life! I have been researching the sleeve and am hoping it will work for me! Any help with these questions is MUCH appreciated!

My answers are in bold

-I read a lot of people saying sleeve doesnt work after having a lapband :/ is this true? I am SO scared of making a wrong choice I had my revision in June of this year after having the lapband for 7 years...my doctor told me that my weightloss will be slow than that of someone with a "virgin" sleeve but it is possible to loss up to 70% of my excess weight....of course my goal is 85% :)

-Is it possible to have a band and sleeve? Its totally possible, doctors will tell you to be prepared for having it done in 2 procedures, but they will not make that decision until they are inside of you....I had an all in one procedure

-Why do more surgeons not offer the "net" around the stomach to help prevent stretching? The part of the stomach that the sleeve is made of is the firmer part of the stomach muscle, its difficult to stretch it, unless you are trying to

-Weight loss aside; are you able to drink a small amount of alcohol (like a glass or two of wine)? Yes, I've had 3 drinks since surgery....the alcohol will hit you fast, but in moves through your body fast as well...usually I just nurse one drink and that's it

-Do you feel like you get enough energy from what you eat? Yes, although at first you are weak, from the procedure, but you will build your energy back up in no time!

-Do you find yourself craving carbs or did the sleeve help kill that “I gotta have some bread and butter!!!”. Because even when I stuff myself with other foods, I still have that mental “but you didn’t have what you really wanted” feeling. I do not crave carbs like I used to...you really look at food differently....that's not to say that if you have emotional issues with food, you should seek therapy (I did)

-Since this is removing some of the stomach, do you feel like some surgeons are better than others? Like it’s an art? I am curious why some people fail and some succeed. Could it be the surgeons don’t remove enough stomach or do it wrong? I also ask this because I would consider going out of state (not out of country for a surgeon more experienced with lapband to sleeve. Yes, all surgoens have their own techiques and bedside manner....I went to the surgoen my lapband doctor recommended, mainly because I really liked my lapband doctor and he understood that the lapband was not working for me, but he could no longer do the revision for me because he was closing his practice to move home (Israel) I suggest attending information sessions and ask LOTS of questions

-Do you believe WLS is like breast implants, where you should prepare yourself that you may need to have “maintenance” done on it? Whether that be revision or additional surgery to correct complications? I explained to my boyfriend I always knew it was a possibility that I may need my band fixed or removed because I saw many patients with slips and port issues. Well I prayed for no complications, I followed my post-care to the letter and praise God no issues so far..

-Can someone have the sleeve done 2x if they gain weight back? I've read about some people either stretched out their stomach or their doctor did not cut enough stomach out the first time and had to have a second procedure...that's why you really need to research doctors and their success rates

-My lapband surgeon is charging 22k for band removal to sleeve. Expensive! I already paid 19k out of pocket for my lapband, and it didn't work out. And I REALLY did try. This would be a 41k investment-- sigh. My revision cost $17,900 and I'm in Texas...my doctor was the best of the best, I spent $14,000 back in 2005 for my lapband, and I adored that doctor as well...I chalked up the 14K as a lesson learned, I was young and scared of RNY.....I had my revision and have not looked back....I'm 80 pounds thiner and loving life again!

I hope my answers helped!

Many of my question stem from my fail with my lapband.

Thank you for everyones replies... I have read this site over for days and finally wanted to post!

PEvette: WOW! Its super helpful you went through each of my questions. Its crazy to think when I got my band I wasn't half as nervous or unsure.

Congrats on your 80 pound loss.. I bet that feels so good!

What do you typically eat in a day?

-I read a lot of people saying sleeve doesnt work after having a lapband :/ is this true? I am SO scared of making a wrong choice

I guess I already answered this one - some people don't do well, but many of us are walking testimonies that it can be done!

-Is it possible to have a band and sleeve?

You could not convince me that this is a good idea - never heard of it and I am suspicious of any surgeons offering experiments like that.

-Why do more surgeons not offer the "net" around the stomach to help prevent stretching?

I am also very suspicious about this idea. There are a number of people who have revised to the sleeve after having some weird mesh procedures from the 1980s and 1990s. Non standard stuff like this make it hard to do revisions etc later. I want to see evidence that something actually makes sense, I am not interested in testing some new ideas...

-Weight loss aside; are you able to drink a small amount of alcohol (like a glass or two of wine)?

I drink more like half a glass of wine everyonce in awhile. Alcohol hits you harder.

-Do you feel like you get enough energy from what you eat?

Yes, absolutely

-Do you find yourself craving carbs or did the sleeve help kill that “I gotta have some bread and butter!!!”. Because even when I stuff myself with other foods, I still have that mental “but you didn’t have what you really wanted” feeling.

You will still fight head hunger, but the surgery helps alot and I mean alot compared to the band. I think over time if you train yourself to eat a certain way that it helps reduce hunger. I gave you a link already to my post that covers this general topic - eat small quantities of high Protein diets and cravings are greatly reduced.

-Since this is removing some of the stomach, do you feel like some surgeons are better than others? Like it’s an art?

I think so. Ask your surgeon about results from his specific practice. I suspect that a good portion of the success ratio is determined by the follow on support they offer.

I am curious why some people fail and some succeed. Could it be the surgeons don’t remove enough stomach or do it wrong? I also ask this because I would consider going out of state (not out of country for a surgeon more experienced with lapband to sleeve.

Well, I am more worried about surgeons who make mistakes that may contribute to issues like "twisting stomach" or other defects with the stomach. I am not convinced that the larger stomach (withing standard recommendatios) means poorer results. Mine was a 38 bougie and I have lost just fine.

-Do you believe WLS is like breast implants, where you should prepare yourself that you may need to have “maintenance” done on it?

That isn't my mindset. Unlike the band, once sleeved you shouldn't need ongoing tweaking. I do however have the mindset that I will do whatever it takes to keep the weight off - so if that means I need to revise I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

Whether that be revision or additional surgery to correct complications?

Could happen. Most complications occur early on though, so once you are a few months out chances are that you won't have any additional surgeries.

I explained to my boyfriend I always knew it was a possibility that I may need my band fixed or removed because I saw many patients with slips and port issues.

-Can someone have the sleeve done 2x if they gain weight back?

Some people get their stomach resleeved/made smaller but I think it is more common to revise to the rny or DS.

-My lapband surgeon is charging 22k for band removal to sleeve. Expensive! I already paid 19k out of pocket for my lapband, and it didn't work out. And I REALLY did try. This would be a 41k investment-- sigh.

Not to mention the heartache. This is one of the reasons I am so determined to have long term success. I work pretty hard at it.

CowgirlJane!! I noticed you lost another pound!! Weren't you 122 lost a day ago?

Very cool.

I look back on some of the questions and I wonder what I was thinking... but after my band I want to think about everything!!

I feel ready to do this... just need to do it!

My main concern has shifted to the bougie (sp?)... my surgeon uses a 40 french and for some reason that makes me nervous, rather have a 38 since I already can eat a ton! but I need to trust him since he is the best in the area.

I appreciate everyones support and feedback- I will have to pay-it-forward!

Haha - my obsession changed about daily when I was researching too. i won't bore you with the weirdness of many of my thoughts, but lets just say that many many of us went through this soul searching.

Ask your surgeon about the 40 bougie. I went in convinced I should have a 32 based on what I read here. Well, when I found out the standard at my surgeon was 38 I had a long talk of why they do that. Evidence based medicine - meaning they look at the ever evolving evidence and try to find that right balance between good weight loss and minimizing risks/complications/side effects. Ask your surgeon why he picked 40 and discuss your concerns.

What i have learned is that bougie size isn't actually THAT important. Your stomach size is actually determined by how long your stomach is and their sewing technique in addition to the bougie size. I hate acid reflux, and knew that a tiny tummy increased that risk.

So far, I am glad i trusted my surgeon's recommendation.

And yes, I have lost another pound or so in recent days. My official weigh in is monday morning which I track in Excel. I update myfitness pal pretty frequently so it is more up to date. Even 11 months out, I am still losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week lately.... it does continue to slow though.

CowgirlJane!! I noticed you lost another pound!! Weren't you 122 lost a day ago?

Very cool.

I look back on some of the questions and I wonder what I was thinking... but after my band I want to think about everything!!

I feel ready to do this... just need to do it!

My main concern has shifted to the bougie (sp?)... my surgeon uses a 40 french and for some reason that makes me nervous, rather have a 38 since I already can eat a ton! but I need to trust him since he is the best in the area.

I appreciate everyones support and feedback- I will have to pay-it-forward!