Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery May Be Postponed Because Iron Is Too Low

Just left my endocrinologists office. Iron is 115..still low. She's concerned that if my Iron is low now, what will happen if there's complications (Internal bleed etc).

I sent an email to my doctors assistant. Hopefully he will call me today and tell me to up my iron pills and we can call it a day. My surgery is schedule for oct 2 right now and I pray it stays that way. I have booked off time off of work and basically revolved my whole life around this..plz pray for me!!

Thank you everyone for your support! I hope to hear from my surgeon via email later today. My Iron is 5 points below the Lower end of the scale. I hope he just says take extra iron from now until surgery day since I'm on the pre op diet and can't eat anything (grrrr)) lol

Sending prayers and lots of positive energy your way

Thanks! I called and made an appointment with my fame doc. Hopefully she will agree to Iron infusions before my surgery. She had made this suggestion a year ago before I had even considered vsg. I said no thinking I would be able to get my iron up with supplements. Clearly not. I'm taking 3 pills a day! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers

You guys get odd reasons for no op!

All my levels for everything were low its crazy its part of why I was allowed the op my ibs was crazy on my body.

You should drink a can/pint of guinness a day I mean its kinda gross it taste like what it is Iron rich its like licking batteries but it will shoot your iron up a lot better than pills.< /p>

Even pregnant woman drink it to boost iron levels.

Oddly latest blood work showed I had high levels of iron like too much now and I stopped taking all my original Vitamins and only take a multi Vitamin every day everything else bar Protein levels are normal.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. I will cross my fingers that your Iron levels will be to a healthy level in time!

My surgeons assistant just emailed me. My endocrinologist is the one who suggested that my surgery be postponed, but it's my surgeon that said "I don't think it will be necessary to postpone or cancel your surgery". I go to see my family doc next week hopefully I will get Iron infusions. Just hope they will bring up my levels soon enough before surgery!

My surgeons assistant just emailed me. My endocrinologist is the one who suggested that my surgery be postponed' date=' but it's my surgeon that said "I don't think it will be necessary to postpone or cancel your surgery". I go to see my family doc next week hopefully I will get Iron infusions. Just hope they will bring up my levels soon enough before surgery![/quote']

My Iron was low. I still had my surgery. Its stays low because of my cycles. Iron upsets my stomach now. My surgery doctor told me to give my stomach a rest from it. You will be in the hospital, they can give you iron through your iv like they did me.

My Iron was low. I still had my surgery. Its stays low because of my cycles. Iron upsets my stomach now. My surgery doctor told me to give my stomach a rest from it. You will be in the hospital' date=' they can give you iron through your iv like they did me.[/quote']

Great news guys! I went to my pcp. She has known me for years..in fact she was in the delivery room when I was born. She agreed to 2 IV iron transfusions before my surgery and has set them up as well! Now the only other obstacle are these 6 lbs to lose. Ive lost 14 so far. On a liquid diet but I want to lose another 16 by my surgery date for a total of 30 lost

Great news guys! I went to my pcp. She has known me for years..in fact she was in the delivery room when I was born. She agreed to 2 IV Iron transfusions before my surgery and has set them up as well! Now the only other obstacle are these 6 lbs to lose. Ive lost 14 so far. On a liquid diet but I want to lose another 16 by my surgery date for a total of 30 lost

That's good. See it worked out for you.

I just found out my Iron levels are low too. I'm hoping these iron pills will boost it before my surgery in Nov/Dec?

I just found out my Iron levels are low too. I'm hoping these Iron pills will boost it before my surgery in Nov/Dec?

Ask ur doctor if ur iron is low enough for infusions. Not sure where u live and what kind of medical coverage u have but here in Canada things like that are covered so I'm going to do it! I cant eat any food high in iron right now because I'm on a liquid only pre op but I'm taking 3 iron tabs a day and hopefully these transfusions will send me over that bump :)