Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I Will Never Eat Certain Foods Again (Binging)

Binging for me is a horribly scary, out of control feeling. It was before the sleeve and is more so now. I have binged twice - each time with chips. I liken my reaction to one bite of potato chips and onion dip to Gollum and the Ring. I can see how I might eat around it and go right back to where I started from: A 5'1" woman on her way to 300 pounds and DEATH!

I hate to get all serious on you guys, but I think I was close to death. I couldn't breathe, couldn't sleep and I was starting to feel sick ALL the time. I could not stay awake driving or at work. food wasn't even enjoyable, but I'd still stuff my face. I became a recluse. I would send my husband to get-togethers alone. I would hardly go camping anymore or even for a walk.

I don't know what would have failed first: My marriage or me.

I became diabetic. I had sleep apnea so badly that I literally woke up once every 10 seconds. Doesn't sound possible does it? My doctor was checking for cirrhosis of the liver due to fatty liver disease. My knees were giving out. My blood pressure was through the roof as was my cholesterol.

Well, I got sleeved and withing two weeks my blood sugar was normal. Three months and 58 pounds down my A1C (anther glucose level test) was normal as was everything else including my blood pressure. My sleep apnea disappeared.

Here I am 7 months later. I am 30 pounds from goal. I wear a bathing suit. I hike up mountains and paddle my kayak. I ride my friends horse without killing it. I slide effortlessly into any booth or amusement park ride.

Next year I'm hiking half-dome and around Tuolumne Meadows and the Yosemite Valley, I am going on a raft trip down the Colorado River, I'm taking a mule down to Phantom Ranch (if I can get a reservation that is!) I might even go to Maui this November.

My husband and I are doing wonderfully and will renew our vows in October. I am now two sizes smaller than my wedding dress.

Why would I sacrifice all that for a slab of macaroni and cheese or cake or chips? With me, there is just no control with some things. If I cannot make or find a good substitute then I don't touch it.

Before I got sleeved, I found a website called: The World According to Eggface.

She is my height and was over 300 pounds. Today she is a total knockout. Get her recipes. She taught me that I didn't have to deprive myself. She showed me that I could make healthier versions of pizza, lasagna and snack foods - even doughnuts and ice cream. She can also make a Protein Shake that tastes like it came from Starbucks- but with more flavors.

I just thought I'd post my feeling about moderation vs. abstinence from certain foods. This is what works for me. Thank goodness I love meat, seafood, cheese, dairy, vegetables, legumes, fruits and nuts because those are the mainstays of my diet. I'm far from suffering. I had a taste of my daughter's ice cream and cake and the sugar made me sick in a minute.

Again, this is what works for me. I'm not trading all I have now for food. No way!

Thanks for reading and God Bless your journey.

You have really come a long way! CONGRATS! This has been a true life saving procedure for you. I'm so glad to hear that you've learned a healthier way to eat with new habits. Yayyyyyyyyyyy! I know that when I have a something with sugar, that is what I start seeking. So I also choose to just eat healthy foods for better health! I'd die if I gain my weight back! :)

I always love your post!

Wow! thanks for sharing. I'm looking up those recipes. (Got my first HgA1c back yesterday after sleeved 2 months and the A1C covers 3 months - mine was 5.7! and 5.6 is normal. My doc was impressed).

Wow! thanks for sharing. I'm looking up those recipes. (Got my first HgA1c back yesterday after sleeved 2 months and the A1C covers 3 months - mine was 5.7! and 5.6 is normal. My doc was impressed).

Last time my A1C was 5.4! Right before I was sleeved it was a 7 point something I think. My PCP couldn't believe what he was seeing.

Forgot to mention that I just slid into a size 10 last week. I barely got to wear my 12s. I put a pair on and it was all baggy in the waist and butt. I have a skin apron and one size too big makes it look horrible.

You have really come a long way! CONGRATS! This has been a true life saving procedure for you. I'm so glad to hear that you've learned a healthier way to eat with new habits. Yayyyyyyyyyyy! I know that when I have a something with sugar, that is what I start seeking. So I also choose to just eat healthy foods for better health! I'd die if I gain my weight back! :)

I always love your post!

I just noticed that you are right on top of goal! You are shooting for a much lower BMI than I am. Congratulations!!!

Thank you so much for your story. I am two weeks pre-op and just started my liquid diet today, so needed some encouragement. I also love theworldaccordingtoeggface and have been trying out her recipes in advance! I am just hoping to get through the next 14 days and on to my surgery!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. Just another reason why I love this site. Words are powerful and so much of what you said resonated with me. I am scheduled to be sleeved in 2 days (Tuesday, the 4th) and just having a lot of nerves. Thanks again for your honesty and sharing your story.