Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin! Does It Shrink?

Hello out there....

I am in the final stages of approval and will be getting my date Friday! My biggest stress is my skin. I would like to know of those out there that have lost 100 ish pounds and what has happened to their skin. If you were saggy, where it is, how bad is it - really.... I've pretty much accepted the "girls" are going to be the area most affected. I have still maintained a great deal of exercise and muscle despite my weight gain, so I am hoping that will help. Any stories, suggestions, ways of handling the problems, etc.

Thanks!

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I have yo-yoed with my weight all my life. I can just say from experience that the skin does shrink back some and I've noticed the older I get and the more weight I lose, the slower the skin goes back and then not all the way. Now, I need to lose at least 90 lbs..so close to where you are. I'm 49 and last year I lost 60 pounds and my skin did not hang lose too much. I think it's because of all the Protein I ate. I did walk from 1 - 2 hours a day about 5-6 times a week. Since then, I've gained all the weight back and then some within a years time :( This is why I'm looking forward to getting sleeved so that it will be easier to lose the weight and to maintain it since I will have a physical barrier (smaller stomach)...I won't be able to pig out as I can now...hehehe

I guess there is always Spanx or plastic surgery to help with any lose skin, but my understanding is that you should give it a year to a year and a half once you lose all the weight to see how much loose skin you may have.....Good luck!

I have loose skin on my upper arms, the bust, the inside of my upper thighs and on the lower abdomen bellow the navel.

The only thing really bothering me is the abdomen.

When I lost about 80 pounds 10 years ago I did not really have any lose skin. I added that back plus another 50 pounds and 10 years.

It all depends on your age, skin type, how fast you lose and several other factors. I look fine with clothes on. Naked - eh, not so much. A bra shapes the puppies, but I really can't wear short shorts -- nor should I at 47 ;-) Board shorts are fine for the beach. I don't wear Spanx as I hate a lot of constricting clothes.

It's great that you have the muscle. You will have to continue to exercise and get all your Protein in to keep it. I know it's stressful to think of, but ask ANYONE here. They will tell you that the weight loss and great health trumps any lose skin.

There are soooooo many variables here..... Age, children, smoking, and just plain overall genetics play a HUGE part... At my highest I was 332lbs but I am also 5'10 and even though I carried a good amount in my belly area it was pretty evenly spread out. I never smoked nor had any children and I am soon to be 38 years old. I am down 85 lbs since the middle of March and yes... my girls took a hit. I was a 46D before surgery and am now a 40D. Even though my cup has stayed the same they have definitely shrunk. When I try on my old bras I cant even come close to filling them up. Weird how bra sizing works.. Still a D but smaller?? But that is my case...

Now as far as other areas of my body.. I had some stretch marks (small ones - not deep or very noticeable) on my upper thighs, hips and belly as well as a few tiny ones around my tops of my breasts and upper arm right in the crease area where my arm meets my armpit. These are the areas that I am noticing a loss of elasticity however it's not gross..well not to me. Just not what I like to see. I have been using toning bands post-op and have done crunches pretty much every day since about 2 months post-op. When you have 100lbs to lose it's almost impossible NOT to have some saggy skin somewhere. Excess skin was one of my biggest fears as well but with 85lbs off of me I am delighted with how my body is transforming!! I definitely feel that some plastics will be in my future whether it be a Tummy Tuck, liposculpt, lower body lift, boob lift, etc.... I am definitely open to those types of procedures but I want to hit my goal and determine if I want to have a child or not. I will be 38 soon so time is ticking.. I can see myself getting some nips and tucks done in about 3 years....

Good Luck!

I am 6 weeks post op and been working on my arms and legs the most! My belly, I know is going to be bad because that is where I carried most of my weight, not to mention I am only 5'2..so Tummy Tuck and boob job will happen sooner or later. I also am broad at the top so my arms are a concern. My legs I am not so concerned about considering I do not wear anything short like that, but my arms are my biggest concern. I want to wear short sleeve, I don't care about tank tops but I am highly concerned about them. I am doing exercises, using creams for firming and just hoping it won't look to bad in the end, good luck! Oh and I am 39...we shall see.

My girlfriend had the Roe-n-y and she is 5'8 she never really had a belly but most of her weight is in her legs and thighs. She looks pretty good all over, she still has big legs but she looks good...Your tall so you maybe just fine.

What Barrbdoll said.

The body has a wonderful mechanism to make MORE skin when we get fat, it unfortunately has NO real mechanism to reabsorb it once we lose weight.

I have some loose skin upper arms, inner thighs, lower part of the bum , boobs a bit ( hate that part!) but suprisingly my tummy is fairly flat ( woo hoo, that was gonna be the part that bothered me the most...outside of the boobs!) It isnt real bad actually but I have been hitting it pretty hard core at the gym. 2 zumba classes a week, one yoga and 2 days of weight training...seems to be working, slowly but that is ok, 80 lbs in 7 months is a lot to shrink back up...lol!

lost 100 ish pounds and what has happened to their skin.

sleevemeup

OMG - girl have you seen my rear end lately :D

rump is totally gone - all that skin went down south, no no i don't mean it went to florida you silly people :lol:

the skin is now hanging around my back of my legs

first i figured since DH would be the only one to see, oh well, but i'm realizing now that the extra skin is uncomfortable. i just plain ol' don't like it or want it

my tummy also could use some help with the doc

i think i will eventually have that taken care of with plastics

never thought i would say the above (plastics) - but if i can save enough money to swing the price - i deserve it - I went through all this, now want to feel totally better about myself

my arms are not the greatest, but i can deal with that, i never wore sleeveless shirts, so i'll continue to be fine w/short sleeves

i always look for the good in the bad

all you ladies that are upset with your girls going south - i never will have that problem thanx to chemo/dble mascetomy (never learned how to spell that word)

i don't mind briefly talking about that problem/dealing with it - just like we need to talk about/deal with our heaviness/obesity - right?

good luck with your upcoming WLS

you'll love your sleeve

I'm 87 lbs down in just about 5 months. I'm 30 and 5'9". I was evenly proportioned with weight. Arms, stomach, and thighs were big. I do go to the gym 4-5 times a week and am constantly running after my 18 month old. But still have sagging skin. My upper arms- you can see definition but the under part hangs some. Stomach- above my belly button I have kinda a pouch flap thing (lol... Not sure what to call it). You can't see it with clothes on, but without... Yeah. Below the belly button... Definitely going to need plastics. I still have a lot to lose there, but I know it's not going to look pretty. Thighs- jiggles and loose but not something I'll cry about... Yet. Now I know it takes a while for everything to suck back it. It may get better. So plastics, for me, will wait till I'm about 2 years out. But I've been an 18 or higher since 6th grade. 14 now. So 20 years is a lot for my body to try to fix on it's own. Good luck :-)

Age is a big factor I think....I'm 46 and I jiggly all over. But it's a lot better then being so heavy!

Thank you everyone! So, I guess you need to wait a while for the skin to suck it up! Hoping and praying for the best.... Get my date tomorrow, and have my psych eval. Stoked! So ready for this!

I'm giving myself a year to lose weight, an as soon as I can, I will start weight training to build muscle and help the skin reabsorb. I've heard it can take another year for your skin to readjust up your new body, so I will wait until my 2 year surgical anniversary before I make any decisions on excess skin.