Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Thing Doc Said Today.....

I was so excited to meet my surgeon today who comes from Vanderbilt - I was telling her about this forum and although supportive of the support, she warned me only to be careful about the advice on food etc. I was telling her about some posts that concern me at times with people eating various things at various stages that just doesn't sound right. Of course- listen to your own doctor but- the thing I took home was this:

"the reality is- if you follow what I say you will be fine. The other reality is techincally- you can survive on the liquid phase post op forever if you 1) get your Protein 2) multi Vitamin and 3) Water. Those are the most important things and those are my goals in terms of intake and quantity. So- the message to me was not to rush anything- focus on this and follow what she says and there will be no problems with my eating causing problems. Makes perfect sense to me :)

Good Advice!

Every program is different, but there are some consistencies: Protein first, obviously. First week or two is clear liquid, next week or two is full liquid, next couple/few weeks is soft and moist, with a transition to solid foods around weeks 4-8.

I fully believe you should Google and do your own research, and then modify what your surgeon or nutritionist tells you, within reason.

This is an education process, eventually we all know quite a bit, and we know our own bodies. If you follow the "general" guidelines and then use your knowledge to customize your own plan, to me that's what it's all about. I don't want a manual forever, I want to learn and grow.

Every program is different' date=' but there are some consistencies: Protein first, obviously. First week or two is clear liquid, next week or two is full liquid, next couple/few weeks is soft and moist, with a transition to solid foods around weeks 4-8.

I fully believe you should Google and do your own research, and then modify what your surgeon or nutritionist tells you, within reason.

This is an education process, eventually we all know quite a bit, and we know our own bodies. If you follow the "general" guidelines and then use your knowledge to customize your own plan, to me that's what it's all about. I don't want a manual forever, I want to learn and grow.[/quote']

Hmmmm- respectfully disagree . I have no intentions on modifying what I'm told in the slightest. Perhaps this will happen in a couple of years from now but i just won't do that.

I am listening to my surgeon and following his plan. I do love to read everything on here though just to get ideas and see what everyone else is doing and what their results have been.

I agree... I will follow my doctors directions.

I have actually been considering modifying my surgeon's recommendations. He says go right to full liquid/purees after Day 3 and it looks to me like everyone else waits at least an additional week. I figure what can it hurt to slow things down just a bit.

Whatever floats your boat. Here are three examples to give some food for thought. You can Google and find many, many more:

Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve: http://www.thegastricsleeve.com/about-our-book.htm

Peachtree Bariatrics Sleeve Guide: http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Sleeve-Patient-Manual.pdf

Barnes Bariatric Surgery Manual: http://barnesweightlosssurgery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Barnes-weight-loss-manual.pdf

Point being, this isn't all science. Some of it is art. There are variations in all pre and post-surgery programs. If different surgeons give different guidance, you can educate yourself to find what works for you.

For example: some, when having a stall, are directed to eat less. Some are directed to eat more. Point is, no surgeon or nutritionist can know you as well as you know you. If you stall, try eating less. If that doesn't work, try eating more. Don't let a manual override learning and common sense.

But, I also understand where you're coming from. We all have our choices to make so we can live the way we desire.

Good luck.

I have actually been considering modifying my surgeon's recommendations. He says go right to full liquid/purees after Day 3 and it looks to me like everyone else waits at least an additional week. I figure what can it hurt to slow things down just a bit.

Any good surgeon will tell you not to rush. If you don't tolerate the next phase you are supposed to back it up a bit. The problems only come when you move ahead faster than you are supposed to.

That being said, my doc had me on full liquids the moment I came home from the hospital, which was the day after surgery. Not everyone has to wait a full week. I was never told to puree anything, but rather to strain Soups and such. Grits, cream of wheat, yogurt and pudding where all on my approved list from the time I got home.

The excellent thing about this forum is that if you have "what's it like to have a sleeve" type questions you are going to get real-world experience answers. If you called the surgeon's office with the same question, you are going to get a stock answer based on how things are "supposed" to work. When one is deciding whether or not to have this surgery, experience is good to hear whether good or bad. (not that the surgeon's office will give you WRONG answers....just more textbook-ish)

That said, yes, your doc is very smart in advising you to be wary of food advice and such issues. Always take docs advice over ours. ;)

For the most part I agree with the follow doctor’s orders thing.

I see some posts on here where some people will switch the post op diet stages or what they were told to do or not do like starting Protein Shakes a week earlier than they were told too because others are doing or not doing it, for me Protein Shake was considered a full liquid so I wasn’t personally allowed them till stage 2.

For me I feel its wrong your medical team have all the info on YOU- blood work, tests results, saw inside of you, know how big your stomach is now, if there were complication other medical issues, they know your relationship with food if your emotionally attached to it or use it or addicted to it etc etc

So for me I did as I was told and wasn’t swayed by posts I read here or what others said to do at what stage.

The first stages you are meant to go through I think you should follow your personal medical teams advice once your past that and back on solid food then yes you can take tips and advice from other people because your over the healing reintroducing stomach phase and it won’t be harmful to do something too early any more.

I personally think when some are trying to help they are not at all they are just saying hey it worked for me so you should do it because it will work for you too!

Not knowing anything really about the person and all because they had the sleeve and are further out.

Not picking on the post below, just using it as an example. Really - very few things are consistent. Protein generally comes first but there are exceptions (mostly with foreign surgeons) - and look at how much Protein requirements vary. I've seen 40, 50 and 60 as "bare minimum". I've seen 90 as a bare minimum. It's crazy.

The graduated eating - that varies widely too. My surgeon and several others move through the phases much more quickly. For example, I was on fluids for 2 days inclduing the day of surgery. Basically my first day home I could have full liquids. I was well into soft/mushy foods by the end of my first week. That's why it's so hard to answer some of the questions here. You can tell your own experience, or your own requirements, but in the end it may or may not be anything remotely close to what the person asking is "supposed" to be doing. Sometimes, "My plan was... but check and see what yours requires" is the only answer you can give.

Every program is different, but there are some consistencies: protein first, obviously. First week or two is clear liquid, next week or two is full liquid, next couple/few weeks is soft and moist, with a transition to solid foods around weeks 4-8.

Is this Vanderbilt in Nashville? I also saw my physician at Vanderbilt. I was curious which doctor you saw.

Is this Vanderbilt in Nashville? I also saw my physician at Vanderbilt. I was curious which doctor you saw.

Ha! I don't know- our hospital brought her here from there. Dr Foster.