Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcos (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) And The Sleeve

I was wondering if any women that have been sleeved have pcos and if so has it improved? I have pcos I wanted to know if this condition improves after wls.

Great question! I am 280 and was diagnosed with pcos 4 years ago. I have had so many issues with my period coming and not coming, Hair growth and not being able to have a baby! I wanted this surgery JUST to help with my pcos and being able to have a baby.

Hello,

I have PCOS, and I had surgery March 1st, 2012. So far, I have lost 69.2 pounds. My three month Hemoglobin A1c increased slightly (5.9 to 6.1) and that was frustrating! I have not tested my pos-op androgen levels yet, but did find that my testosterone came down significantly before the surgery after a 30 pound weightloss over 2 years. I think my HbA1c was elevated primarily because I lowered my metformin dose post-op from 2 grams daily to 1 gram daily. Now I have increased the dose up to 1.5 grams. My blood pressure also went up post-op which may be in part to the medication reduction, as BP and blood sugar stability go hand in hand.

Ultimately, I think that my PCOS will improve as I lose more weight. Now that I am getting closer to the 100's, there will be a tipping point where the PCOS will improve. Hang in there for the long haul!!!

Nancy

@ Nancy- That gives me a lot of hope! Good luck on your journey!

I have the same questions and we are hoping to become parents (17 months from now!) I am almost 6 weeks out of surgery and the primary reason for surgery was to be able to have children eventually. So far so good, I will be retested in a month to see if I need to begin taking metformin, my doctor wanted to give me an opportunity to get the weight off with surgery.

I will keep you in my thoughts! Good luck, I can understand what you are going though! 4 years of trying shots, meds for this and that, and still nothing, it gets so frustrating. I hope that through this journey you are able to be parents! :D

I appreciate all the information. I have had problems with pcos since I was teen after a 78lbs weightloss when I was 16-17(263lbs at the time) I was able to get pregnant but now it seems like its worse than ever . At the moment I believe I weight 250 around there not too sure maybe more haven't been eager to step on a scale.< /p>

Thank you Angela, you too!!! It will be worth it once we are!

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago at my heaviest (275) with horrible PMS symptoms every month. I've lost 100 pounds and I will say that my PMS symptoms have gotten better, though I'm not completely out of the woods. While my OB/GYN says I appear to no longer be PCOS, I am still dealing with one large ovarian cyst on the right that is taking it's time to go away.

So, yes, it's getting better - but it's still not gone yet! There is hope!

Hi all.

I am now 15 months post op and have pcos too. I have lost 107lb so far with about another 20lb to go.

I also had the sleeve to improve my fatillity and become a parent.

I have noticed huge improvements. My cycle before could range anywhere from 35-60 days and now AF comes every 29-35 days. I don't ovulate every month but most months I do where before at my heavest I had tests and my levels were so low I was told I would need assistance to get pregnant!

I am still waiting for baby dust to be sprinkled on me but I am more hopeful now that I will be able to conceive with as little help as possible!

My skin is so much better too, I still get the occasional spot where as before I always had spots!

I am so great full every day that my amazing parents and partner were able to support me to have the sleeve it has changed my life.

Xxxxxxx

Ps.

I had scans at my heavest and my ovaries were looking very scary and full of cysts. They could not find any dominant egg foilcales. I was scanned again a few months ago and they told me I was prone to twins! They found dominant foilcales on both sides of my ovaries!

I remain ever hopeful to be pregnant by the end of thus year!

Congratulations on your success! I wish you the best of Luck. Thank you for ur comment I'm learning more with each one and that's great I have had so many questions and didn't know where to look to find the answers :)

I've been getting my periods and no more metformin for me.

That's good news. I hate the unreliable periods. Even tho I know its the pcos I cant help but get crazy over missing one Its like why isn't it coming whats going on now I get worried and I hate that feeling because its hard for me to control it and I'm a control freak

I was wondering if any women that have been sleeved have pcos and if so has it improved? I have pcos I wanted to know if this condition improves after wls.

I have Pcos too. My cycles are still bad. I was told, I need a DNC. Hopefully after the DNC, I will notice change. I was sleeved in June. My insulin levels are normal now. I've lost over 50 lbs. I was sick weeks after surgery. So the weight came off fast.