Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Turning Back Now...

Well, there is no turning back now. I have completed all the pre-op requirements and paperwork has been submitted to insurance. Now, we wait.....

Hopefully I will get a response back from my insurance company (Cigna) sooner rather than later. Anyone have Cigna? What is the normal turnaround time for approval?

Also, anyone get declined for surgery and what for? And did your reapply, etc?

I had Aetna and they told me I did not have a weight loss benefit included with my plan, so they I was declined. I was lucky enough that my parents were willing to lend me the money so I could pay cash for the surgery and Aetna would cover my labs. Then Aetna canceled coverage for all individuals who reside in Mississippi and I ended up paying out of pocket for everything. It was expensive, but completely worth it.

I hope you get approved! :)

I have Cigna and once my doctor's office filed it took exactly one week and they called me to tell me I had been approved! My surgery is September 14, 2012 coming up quick! Good Luck to you!

I have Cigna and once my doctor's office filed it took exactly one week and they called me to tell me I had been approved! My surgery is September 14, 2012 coming up quick! Good Luck to you!

Wow! Did Cigna call you directly or the surgeon's office notified you?

Good Luck with your surgery! Happy for you. Hoping approval goes quickly for me too.

The lady at my doctor's office called me to tell me I had been approved. I was sitting at work and had a total feeling of elation! Then, we had to look at dates and get all the other pre-op things set up so it has been a whirlwind this week! I'm having my EGD tomorrow, had pre-op at the hospital today and begin my liquid diet next Friday, August 31st. So it is all moving quickly now! They actually told me when I first started this journey in April that Cigna did cover the procedure and then I just had to complete all the requirements and follow the nutrition program so I hope yours goes through too!

I have Cigna, my paperwork was submitted on Wednesday, I called Cigna on Thursday to follow-up, and my approval letter came in the following Tuesday. They've had some recent changes to expedite their approval process. I would call Cigna tomorrow, to make sure they received and accepted the documents. I've heard that they won't accept them if something is missing, and it's an automatic denial.

Hi,

Do you have Cigna through your job or is it a personal policy? Only because I had Cigna through work and a day before I was scheduled for surgery - Yes, I said the day before - all pre-op tests were completed and I was on my all liquid diet - my surgery was cancelled. I discovered, lliterally 12 hours before I was due in the hospital, the corporation l work for does not cover any type of weight-loss surgery.

I should explain, my doctor's office did receive the preapproval letter from CIGNA and with the pre-approved letter in hand, I went to all the necessary doctors to for clearance. That included a cardiologist , pulmonologists, gastroenterologist for an upper G.I. and the nutritionist. After I receiving clearance the completed packet was again submitted to CIGNA for a final aproval and that's when I found out that my company doesn't cover weight-loss surgery.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, it was horrible to go through and it was a huge disappointment. My suggestion would be to get a copy of your works policy (or personal policy) and read what procedures are covered. The policy will stipulate if weight-loss surgeries are included. It also depends on what state you live in. Certain states are required by law to cover weight-loss surgeries. Unfortunately for me, it is not a law for corporations in the state of New Jersey to cover weight-loss surgeries.

The good news is I got married to a government employee, switched to my husband's insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield and had my surgery on July 11, 2012.

I hope you receive great news for CIGNA and you do not have the experience that I did in 2010.

Good luck,

T

Hi' date='

Certain states are required by law to cover weight-loss surgeries. Unfortunately for me, it is not a law for corporations in the state of New Jersey to cover weight-loss

Good luck,

T[/quote']

I work in NJ and the whole state just makes me shake my head. More recently more than ever. Governed needs to look into surgery but I digress....