Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Confused..

Okay so i keep hearing in order to loose weight we need to burn 500 more calories than we eat, ore something like that. So if I'm eating 800 calories a day, i should be burning 1300 a day?

Not so much. If you eat 1800 calories a day, every day, you should start to lose weight if you excercise and burn 500 of those calories. Same for any caloric intake... 1800-500=1300 so 800-500 = 300. BTW you have to burn 3500 calories in order to lose 1 pound.

I can go on the stationary bike and near kill myself for 45 minutes and only burn 350 calories. kind of puts things in perspective.

Ohhh okay. Yeah i bust my butt on the elliptical for an hour and only burn around 600 so i was like man.. that means i need to increase my workouts to 2 hours a day lol.

I've also found that just because u create a 3500 cal deficit it doesn't always equal a pound loss on the scale. It's super frustrating because our sleeved bodies seem to defy all logic and reason. Remember this if u ever hit a stall just keep working out and eating right. The weight will move eventually. Cheers to exercise!! :)

You also have to consider your Base Metabolism Rate (BMR) into the equation. Your body burns a certain amount of calories just existing. This varies foe everybody, but let's say yours is 800. Then add in your daily activity, any movement during the day from typing on a keyboard to walking around Wal-Mart. Let's say you burn 250 calories in normal daily activity.

You have a pre-activity burn rate of 1050 calories. If you add 600 calories to that on an elliptical your total burn for the day is 1650.

Now take your total consumed calories and deduct your total burn from that. Let's say you consumes 800cal.

800 - 1650 = 850-

You end up with an 850 calorie deficit

3500 / 850 = 4.12

It would take 4.12 days to burn a pound of fat.

Keep in mind your pre-activity burn is likely higher than 1050.

I also have to say needing to burn 500 more calories more than you consume doesn't make any sense to me. If you only burned 100 calories over your intake you'd still lose weight. But it would take you 35 days to lose a pound.

Keep in mind - that's the straight math of it. But outside of quantum mechanics, very few things in life really are "1 + 1 = 2." Case in point - stalls. I went about 90 days eating no more than 600 calories a day, with a BMR of about 2100. So every single day, for about 3 months, I ran a deficit of at least 1500 calories. Now count in my exercise (300 - 900 calories most days of the week) and my average daily deficit was something like 2000 calories. More days than not, I was burning off every calorie I ate. At about 3500 calories per pound of body fat, I should have been losing a pound every day and a half. But I went 90 days of losing no pounds, and "should have" lost about 60. So there's more to it than the math.

So you'd think - maybe it's Fluid. Sure, and a lot of it probably was. But then once I lost the Fluid, shouldn't all that weightloss have been reflected on the scale? It wasn't. I did pretty quickly lose about 15 lbs - over about 2 weeks. That's only about 25% of the "should have" weightloss. And since then, I'd say my loss has been a bit slower than expected, so it's not like my body has made up for the lost time.

Everyone says "burn more calories than you eat and you'll drop pounds" and long-term that's probably true, but there are absolutely exceptions. I have no F'ing idea why -- I get that it's something our bodies are doing, loss isn't always reflected on the scale, etc. But I also know that with my band I maintained (for my BMI/BMR) a caloric deficit for 18 months while I hit a plateau and lost/gained the same 3 - 5 lbs over and over (which is really just fluid fluctuations).

So anyone proffering a 1 + 1 = 2 caloric formula for weightloss can just bugger off. :)

Okay so i keep hearing in order to loose weight we need to burn 500 more calories than we eat, ore something like that. So if I'm eating 800 calories a day, i should be burning 1300 a day?

As has been stated, everybody is different. And some people are just naturally better at holding onto weight than others. I'm sure everyone on this forum falls into that category, so it's no wonder that all of us have the ability to defy the old "calories in vs calories out" logic. It's our super power.

I would not try to live by the math, I believe it's better to eat a healthy diet and exercise everyday (or as often as your body and busy life will allow). Doing this, with the sleeve, the weight will come off.

Also, those "calories burned" indicators on exercise machines are always wrong, so don't go by them if you are doing the math. You are better off going by time.

As has been stated' date=' everybody is different. And some people are just naturally better at holding onto weight than others. I'm sure everyone on this forum falls into that category, so it's no wonder that all of us have the ability to defy the old "calories in vs calories out" logic. It's our super power.

.[/quote']

Snort! Super power. Why didn't I get invisibility or something cooler? ;)

I used to love math until they came out with this calories in = calories out formula. I've been telling my Doc for YEARS that it can't be true because I only eat good for you stuff (NOT in mass quantities) so why the heck do I gain every year instead of losing? Well... my "super power" must be super strong. That's why I'm sleeving... ;) BTW, Danyelle, I'd trade this for invisibility any day. :D