Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Is Your Appetite Now Compared To Right After Surgery?

Hi. I had surgery July 30. Since that time I have had really no appetite. If you told me that I could get in everything I need and not eat I would be ok with that. This is huge for me because before I had such a huge appetite.....like I had to force myself to stop at a restaurant sized serving and maybe an appetizer. I am not disgusted by food now or anything--just very disinterested. I have had a bite or two of things I like and still enjoy them, but don't have that craving food feeling. I would really like to hear from others about their experience with their appetite and surgery. Is the way you felt 3 weeks in the same that you feel now? Does your appetite come back over time? Did you feel similar to what I have described after surgery?

I am actually so glad that I feel this way BTW. I have been a slave to my appetite all my life and it is so freeing to just put food into my body when I need it. I hope this feeling stays. I would love to live the rest of my life without the struggle of an appetite but still able to enjoy food.

I can go all day without eating and have no hunger pains at all. I have to make a conscious decsion to eat and get my Protein in. Every once in a while I will crave something but it is mainly from my head never my stomach. It feels so weird because I could definitely eat a lot before surgery.

I can go all day without eating and have no hunger pains at all. I have to make a conscious decsion to eat and get my Protein in. Every once in a while I will crave something but it is mainly from my head never my stomach. It feels so weird because I could definitely eat a lot before surgery.

Same

AWESOME! The appetite being reduced was why I opted for the sleeve rather than another WLS.......I am so hopeful for long-term success and this makes me even more so. <<<<happy dance>>>>>

I've not felt a hunger pain since my surgery. Eating now is like a cloak and dagger game for me. I have to time my food and make sure I'm not drinking at the same time. It's kinda funny. I'm 6 weeks out and I still have no physical cravings for food, but I do have the emotional ones....I think they call it "mind hunger." I'm working through it.

We were sleeved on the same day, and i dont have an appetite either. It is so wierd and kind of freaked me out at first. I look at is as a good thing.

In the beginning I had no appetite, but at 4 months out, I do get hungry, and it feels normal and I am easily satisfied.

I do get head hunger and real hunger but I am aware of the difference and I plan my meals for the most part.

Hi. I had surgery July 30. Since that time I have had really no appetite. If you told me that I could get in everything I need and not eat I would be ok with that. This is huge for me because before I had such a huge appetite.....like I had to force myself to stop at a restaurant sized serving and maybe an appetizer. I am not disgusted by food now or anything--just very disinterested. I have had a bite or two of things I like and still enjoy them, but don't have that craving food feeling. I would really like to hear from others about their experience with their appetite and surgery. Is the way you felt 3 weeks in the same that you feel now? Does your appetite come back over time? Did you feel similar to what I have described after surgery?

I am actually so glad that I feel this way BTW. I have been a slave to my appetite all my life and it is so freeing to just put food into my body when I need it. I hope this feeling stays. I would love to live the rest of my life without the struggle of an appetite but still able to enjoy food.

I had surgery in June 2010. For about eight months I had NO hunger. I ate because it tasted good and I needed to eat. Since then I have what I call my 'new hunger'. Occasionally I feel slight hunger, but nothing at all like pre op. My new hunger is more like an empty feeling, I KNOW I'm empty and probably need to eat a little something. It is wonderful. I pray that it is this way forever!!!

I was sleeved on 7/30. If I could survive on just sipping liquids, an occassional sf popsicle, or my 7Eleven sf slurpee, I'd be so happy. I really don't have an appetite. Now, I eat because I have to for fuel and sustenance. What I've learned is to put my self on a schedule. Although, a few bites and I'm full, about 2-2.5oz. I'm recognizing when it's time to stop eating and the difference between my head hunger and the true hunger rumble feeling. But, I'm loving this!!!

I get REALLY hungry. Good thing is...I get full really fast, of course. ;) I've had to increase my carbs a little so i don't fall off the elliptical at the gym. I think the exercise contributes to the hungry. I'm six months out.

I'm about 5 weeks out and I'd say my appetite is about a third of what it was before surgery. And I was one of those people who had a gargantuan appetite. So I still have an appetite, but it feels more "normal" now as opposed to the elephantine monster appetite I had before.

As far as hunger, I still get hungry...sometimes very hungry...but not as hungry as before surgery. I even sometimes get that gnawing painful hunger, but it's not as common for me now.

I'm disappointed that my experience wasn't as drastic as a lot of others on here in that their hunger and appetite virtually vanished. This was one of the reasons I chose the sleeve: I just didn't want to be voracious all the time. It's not as bad now, but surgery didn't make it disappear. I know it's not necessarily supposed to, but damn...

My stomach growls almost constantly but I hate eating. I do it now to stop the growling for a bit (it gets so bad it wakes me up/keeps me up at night) and to make sure I don't, ya know...starve to death. ;)

I can't eat nearly as much as I used to and it helps that I don't want to.