Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Marsden In Dallas

I don't think BCBS will allow the surgery anywhere except a BCBS facility but i do know that the band is like a roll of the dice... It worked for my friend very well but my sister was over 320 lbs and only lost 28 lbs with the band and put 15 of that back on. This was all over a 2 year period. She decided on the sleeve and had the surgery just over 4 months ago and is down to 238 as of today. On top of that, the band had infused with her liver and they didn't even know this until they went in to perform the VGS!!

mufasas-mom, i just notice you have you surgery date! I am so excited for you!!

yes - the band is definately the roll of the dice...not for me.

In my visit with Dr marsden (45 min) he actually stated he preferred the sleeve over the band due to all the complications.

I am so excited - Sept. 10 is only 2 weeks away....and we have a LONG weekend coming up ...started the pre-op today -which is only 2 shakes a day and a sensible meal - plus all the sugar free drinks, Jello and pudding.

I received a call today from True results with some bad news...apparently, because they are out of my network and BCBS requires that the procedure is done at a Blue distinctive center of excellence, costing about $35,000 and my out of pocket costs would be over $20,000...that's twice as much as paying for it in cash at any other facility. This makes no sense to me. I have wasted 6 months of my time meeting the requirements and they called me offering my co-pay back for the time i spent with them. I couldn't even speak, i just cried on the phone. I'm still just speechless! i called BCBS and they are saying that my particular policy does state that there is a $15,000 limit on barbaric surgery. Right now, I just feel sick!

I went back and forth between Dr. Kim and Dr. Marsden...

Marsden - Great guy. Well respected surgeon, especially in the lap band world. Very very friendly and able to help me make a good decision on what was best for me. Call's often required next day call backs. Several promises were not kept by his staff. Only had done a dozen sleeves as of june'ish when i met him.

Kim - Not as much of a personable guy. Very well respected sleeve surgeon. Staff was great. Completed over 1,200 sleeves.

I chose Dr Kim, but doubt either would be a bad choice.

I as well have experienced both of doctors. I choose Dr Marsden intially because he performed my lap band in 2008, and i really did not have any reason to not let him do my sleeve procedure until I did more research and realized he did not have the number of sleeve procedure completed.

Dr. Kim's exceed over 500 revisions and 2000 sleeve procedures. I think it was indicated by another post earlier on that Dr. Marsden had only performed 30 sleeve procedures total. I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion and preference, but I just wanted to express my reason of going with Dr. Kim as well.

My experience with TR was it operated more like a lad band factory not really designed to really know the client and keep the client in mind of what procedure would be a good fit individually. It was my impression when I got the lap band back in 2008 compared to going to alternate doctor offices for consultations. TR wanted to sell the band and get as many individuals banded as they could. Please don't assume that I am selling an alternate doctor or putting Dr. Marsden office down it is just my experience that I wanted to share with you all...

I totally agree that true results is nothing but a lap band factory. I am happy with my sleeve choice and can't wait till sept. 10

I received a call today from True results with some bad news...apparently, because they are out of my network and BCBS requires that the procedure is done at a Blue distinctive center of excellence, costing about $35,000 and my out of pocket costs would be over $20,000...that's twice as much as paying for it in cash at any other facility. This makes no sense to me. I have wasted 6 months of my time meeting the requirements and they called me offering my co-pay back for the time i spent with them. I couldn't even speak, i just cried on the phone. I'm still just speechless! i called BCBS and they are saying that my particular policy does state that there is a $15,000 limit on barbaric surgery. Right now, I just feel sick!

Hey Keisha,

Did you ask them about using Baylor in Plano? Dr. Marsden practices at that hospital, and I have BCBS as well. I'm told that Baylor of Plano is in my network, but now, I'm going to double check. Don't give up!

I'm having my surgery done at Plano Baylor - I have UHC and they are a COE hospital.

bluejean - did you get your surgery date yet??

After reading your post, I checked in the member's portal. Baylor of Plano is a Center of Distinction. When Amanda found out what my insurance was, she told me she was having me meet with Dr. Marsden, because he practiced in my network. I didn't even know about Dr. Marsden at the time, I thought I only had Dr. Beinvenides or Dr. Fox to choose from. Please don't give up, and double check with your patient advocate. I have a pdf file that shows all of the centers of distinction if you can't get into your member's portal. Let me know, and I can email this to you, Keisha. I really hope you get your surgery soon.

I'm having my surgery done at Plano Baylor - I have UHC and they are a COE hospital.

bluejean - did you get your surgery date yet??

Not yet, I meet with Dr. Marsden on the 6th, and at that time, I'm having my labs done. I also decided that I wanted to take their nutrition class on the same date. Amanda was saying that I can realistically have my surgery by the end of September.

I have been making calls and found out that they just were not in my network even though they said they were in the beginning. At the time I didn't see a reason to doubt it. So after speaking with BCBS, they suggested that I contact a Blue distinctive facility directly so i called Baylor in Carrolton and I was referred to Dr. Francis Veninga. I think all they will have to do is change the name of the Dr. on my paperwork and resubmit.

The good thing is BCBS responds very quickly, about 3 working days so I don't think this will set me back. I was offered my copay back from TR also.

good deal - sounds like all will work out....that's fantastic. I hope you refund back from TR is soon.....

You should call marsdens office in Denton, not the true results office. Marsden does surgery at Baylor trophy club as well, this is a bcbs center of excellence.

thats a great idea - then she'd not have to worry about how long True Results would take to transfer her paperwork to another facility....let us know if this works out for you Kiesha!

You should call marsdens office in Denton, not the true results office. Marsden does surgery at Baylor trophy club as well, this is a bcbs center of excellence.

I took your advice and contacted Dr. Marsden's office directly and they were able to explain the issue much better than true results. The problem is that dr marsden can only perform the sleeve at Baylor in Plano and the cost is $35,000 there. But my insurance has a $15,000 limit for the procedure so I have to have it done at another Blue distinction facility which means going to another Dr. (My choice is Dr. Frank Veninga). All of the paperwork has already been sent over from True Results and I'm still going to have to pay 10% because that's just one of the clauses in my policy but at this point i was extremely happy to hear that!

So my total out of pocket costs will be $1775 on the day of surgery and my date will be set when i go in for my appointment with Dr. Veninga on Sept 6th.

I'm so glad I found this forum because i was a complete mess the other day and you all helped me keep it together! Thanks everyone and i will keep you all posted even though I'm no longer with the same Dr. :)

that's wonderful news - I'm so glad you were able to work things out!! sometimes we have to go the extra mile to comply with our insurance guidelines. Like I said before, I'm sure that there are tons of good surgeons here in the DFW area - so you should be all good to go!!

Congrats on getting it cleared up!