Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average Amount Of Protein In A Snack

I'm 20 months out and figuring out that I'm not hitting the amount of Protein on a snack that I would like to. I've been eating 3 small meals and 2 Snacks a day, trying to average a min of 10 g protein each time. I am just curious what the avg amount of protein everyone shoots for in a snack that isn't a Protein Bar or a Protein Shake.< /p>

I love the premier shakes and it has like 30 grams of Protein. But usually, I don't really focus on how much protein bc the majority of the food I eat is protein. I'm always over my protein amounts. :)

I don't worry about each individual snack. My general rules are 2.5g of protien per 1g of carb. Or 1g protien per 10calories. So if I eat something that is protien deficient I know I gotta make it up somewhere else.

I love the premier shakes and it has like 30 grams of Protein. But usually, I don't really focus on how much protein bc the majority of the food I eat is protein. I'm always over my protein amounts. :)

Can you tell what types of food you eat that are protein filled? My dr. saids I can eat broccoli (but no protein value), greenbeans (again, no protein value). I'm open to suggestions. thanks. :rolleyes:<_<:wacko:

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to cut out the artificial sweeteners so I'm trying to get more Protein out of my food vs having to drink a shake or eat a bar. I've found that edamame and some chicken with fruit are proving to be some great Snacks with a decent amount of Protein.

@OTR - that is a great tip for how to make sure I'm getting enough protein.

@CoolBreeze - Are you only able to eat veggies? I mostly eat chicken and fish and limit my red meat and pork greatly. Edamame is a veggie that has some good protein in it and is pretty tasty. What kinds of food are you allowed to eat?

I eat chicken, pork, beef, dairy products like milk and cheese, sf pudding, cottage cheese, lots of nuts. It is important to get in some veggies too. I love beef Jerky, yummy! I drink Premiers shakes from costco or sam's club. :)

Some of my typical snacks:

Beef Jerky, 1 oz = 12gm Protein

1 oz gruyere cheese = 7gm Protein

16 pepperoni chips = 18gm protein

1 tbl PB = 5gm protein

Cheddar cheese stick = 6gm protein

1 oz almonds = 6gm protein

Poke/maguro 1oz = 7gm protein

I still have a hard time with daily calories (I still average under 600) and protein (I probably average 50, but really do try for 60 and consider anything over 60 a bonus, I guess). I try to get 6 - 10 gm of protein per snack, and about 10 per meal. I generally try to eat 6 - 8 times per day: 2 meals + 3 - 6 Snacks (recently I've had to pretty much give up dinner, so I'm trying to add in an extra snack to compensate but I'm truly to the point of having to eat when I'm not hungry).

I'm 20 months out and figuring out that I'm not hitting the amount of protein on a snack that I would like to. I've been eating 3 small meals and 2 Snacks a day, trying to average a min of 10 g protein each time. I am just curious what the avg amount of protein everyone shoots for in a snack that isn't a protein bar or a protein shake.

Are you taking in about 10g per meal, or just in your Snacks? 10g x 5 meals is only 50 g's, which is pretty low imo. I like to average about 5-6 meals a day, my snacks and meals are almost identical in size (tiny) so I don't see a difference. I try to make sure that no given snack or meal is less than 15 grams Protein or more than 10g carbs. Maybe the biggest difference between a snack and a meal for me is that snacks tend to be pure protein, super low/zero carbs like Jerky, protein bullets or shakes, or plain greek yogurt.

Are you taking in about 10g per meal' date=' or just in your Snacks? 10g x 5 meals is only 50 g's, which is pretty low imo. I like to average about 5-6 meals a day, my Snacks and meals are almost identical in size (tiny) so I don't see a difference. I try to make sure that no given snack or meal is less than 15 grams Protein or more than 10g carbs. Maybe the biggest difference between a snack and a meal for me is that snacks tend to be pure Protein, super low/zero carbs like Jerky, protein bullets or shakes, or plain greek yogurt.[/quote']

My doctor recommends 60-70 grams protein a day, I always start my day off with three cups of Water mixed with crystal light or propel and a whey protein bullet. It's my berry lemonade, 110 calories and 26 grams protein. And I get my Water too! Woohoo. Lol