Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Mine was when my uncle told me to move to the other side because I didn't fit in the picture on Christmas and everyone started saying oooooo because they all thought it was because of my weight right away

I hate when people make comments like that. It never feels good even when you try to not let it bother you.

Yeah even when you try it just stays with you they don't know how deep comments like that can affect you

Finding out that the COD on my dad's death certificate (at 52 years old) was Super Morbid Obesity and being diagnosed as pre-diabetic myself at 47. Diabetes does not run in my family.

Mine is a two-parter and a little complicated so I'll do my best to make it understandable.....

I was diagnosed with CVID (common variable immune deficiency). Ever seen the movie bubble boy (either version)? Thats what i have. My numbers are pretty severe so I started treatment right away (they can only give me treatment for one part of the illness, not the other). After several months of a very high dose medication my numbers were still severely low (to give you an idea... normal is 900, I was originally 140, after treatment I was 400). I was told that because of my weight I was at the highest dose possible.

Also, as I'm sure you all know, obesity is linked to illness. The medication they give me is geared towards bacterial infections, but I'm also deficient in the immune system that fights viral and fungal and there's nothing that can be done.

So with the thought that I was still going to be constantly sick even with treatment (and I have to hide from big crowds and anyone who is sick so I miss out on ALOT) I started searching into WLS.

Then my mom (who is my absolute best friend and lives with me) was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic cancer. There's no cure but they can prolong her life with chemo. Unfortunately chemo kills the immune system so anyone sick has to stay away.

About a month of chemo and she was hospitalized in ICU after catching pneumonia from me.

The idea that I could LITERALLY kill her and myself because of my weight urged me to push for the wls.

Having to go on insulin.

For me the moment came with yet one more disabling physical thing. High blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, hating to fly as the seats are tiny, attend a concert, movie, theater for same reason. Unable to tie my shoes, reaching to clean myself. Nope none of these were the moment. But after years of painful feet, stage 4 arthritis in my foot, walking becoming horribly painful and the Dr stating "surgery on that foot needed, but not unless you loose weight" I find doing the things I love outdoors to be nearly impossible. That's it for me. At 60 I don't have time to waste on yet another failed weight loss effort. I'm not a failure! I'm making a smart choice to do something life affirming for myself and really get healthy. I'm excited and a bit nervous. My insurance does not pay for bariatric surgery so it's off to an exotic holiday for me. Surgery and some recovery in Mexico or Costa Rico... Hmm what other fun place can I go?

My final straw was hearing the dreaded "D" word. I got a blood test done, and my doctor said I was on my way to becoming diabetic. When I told my family this, they all started to get very upset and worried. My grandpa, who just passed away very recently, had struggled with diabetes for most of his adult life. He especially didn't want me to have to struggle with the same things that he did. So, that's when I met with my surgeon for the first time. I had to jump through so many hoops for insurance to cover the surgery, but in the end, (and after 12 months of weigh ins at the doctors office!) they covered 100% of the surgery because they deemed it medically necessary.

Now 3 months out, and down my biggest supporter in my grandpa, I've lost a total of 78 pounds after my gastric sleeve surgery. I'm so happy with my decision to do this. I feel better, I look better, I have so much more energy! I've even started dating again, which is something I haven't done in about 6 years!

I had a few consistent themes in mind when I finally started down the path of getting "sleeved":

1) I had pretty much given up dieting because no matter how successful I was with the diet, I always failed and gained all of the weight back. I entered my 30s at approximately 240 lbs in the best shape of my life after losing about 100 lbs. By 31 I was back at 270 and by 33 I was right at 300 lbs. For me, I no longer looked at a traditional diet or behaviour modification as holding any real promise of being successful...

2) My father passed away a few years ago and I really started to think about my own mortality. I have heard that you "never see" 300 lb guys in a nursing home and I realized that the onset of various co-morbid conditions were clearly showing me where I was headed. Moderate sleep apnea, bad cholesterol, borderline high blood pressue, family history of diabetes and heart disease are serious and I realized I didn't want to be the guy that ignored the writing on the wall.

3) As part of early weight control, I developed a love for excercising (i.e. sports, weights cardio etc.) even at heavy weights 300+ lbs. At 40 I realized my body was starting to fall apart under the strain of the excess weight. I am hoping to avoid hip/knee replacement and the things that will definately occur if I continue to try and be active while "heavy".

I have wrestled with thought of getting the sleeve for about 18 months and really think it will make the difference that I need to be successful long term!

My weight holding me back in my career has to be the final straw for me. I've been a cop for 10 years, and I took a liking to all things tactical. So...SWAT is the next step! Well...it helps if you can shoot well, but if you get exhausted after running a block or 2 and trying to take a shot, but feeling like your eyes popping out of your head..doesn't help much. I got tired of hearing "oh man, you're such a good fit for us, but you need to trim down". So I tried that. I went to the gym...A LOT. I lost 20 lbs..then I slowly gained it back. The plateau effect if you will. Still couldn't be at the top of my game..like where I was as a young kid. I've been an athlete since I was 5. I'm 32. I kept having the mental block of "why am I not losing? It can't just be food!"

I talked to my wife. We went to a few info sessions at different hospitals. I almost felt like I didn't belong. I'm like "oh wait, I'm not 500 lbs. I can still try on my own". Wrong. Kept getting same results. Went to more info sessions. Finally, Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL..had a different approach. For some reason, their holistic approach..with the support groups and nutrition counseling..up to and after surgery resonated with me. Well...after numerous hurdles..we are here. Surgery day at the end of the week. Wish me luck. one day at a time is my mantra.

I've posted here earlier in the segment however, I had a mishap at work!! Ugh! As I was getting in my work vehicle, my uniform pants split at the seam! I didn't have a extra pair in my locker so I had to run home and change:( all of my uniform pants are too tight now but I refuse to order anymore in the size that I am! I can't wait until September 26, 2014 12:55pm!!!

Edited by waitingtoexhale

My husband had prostate cancer and it scared me for our kids. On a less horrific scale I had to cut off a Tiffany ring this summer cuz it was fat stuck.

When I went to Great America twice in the same year and I waited in line all that time only to be told the bar wouldn't close. That was so embrassing and I knew something had to give. So thankful my surgery is 2 weeks away. I'm ready for a change!!

When I went to Great America twice in the same year and I waited in line all that time only to be told the bar wouldn't close. That was so embrassing and I knew something had to give. So thankful my surgery is 2 weeks away. I'm ready for a change!!

I feel your pain on that one. Same thing happened to me. Congrats on your surgery date, I'm envious! Waiting for insurance approval here.