Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

The final straw for me was looking through pictures of the many places I've traveled in this world, all the beautiful pictures I've taken and me not being in a single picture because I was too ashamed to have someone take a picture of me, my body. Would they get the angles right? I didn't want anyone to see me, I didn't even want to see myself.

Some of the other things:

• I can no longer fit in one airline seat and always need a seatbelt extender which can be embarrassing depending on the company you find yourself with.
  • I have not been and will not go to an amusement park because I know I cannot fit on the rides.
  • I can no longer fit in movie theatre seats.
  • I can't breathe when I sit in a booth at any restaurant.
  • I am ashamed to take full body pictures with my boyfriend; I'm also ashamed to meet his family; I just don't want them to think he can "do better".
  • ​In the case I do get engaged and married within the next few years, I want to make sure I look my best.

​I guess there just comes a time in your life when you are tired of trying every diet under the sun. I am ready to get past my weight issues and be on the other side of the battle.

Cheers to new beginnings!

"The straw that broke the camels back"<br>

HMM that's a hard one. <br>

I guess I would say it's a bunch of little straws...<br>

I was always a tiny person people always told me your too skinny gain weight I was 114. <br>

Now at 218 people say you are perfect you don't need weight lost surgery. ..<br>

Yeah I know I'm not big girl but I have. ..<br>

sleep apnea, Cronic Back pain, pain in my knees n hips, degenerative discs n 2 Bulging discs, I have swelling in the lower part of my legs, rhumitoid arthritis, borderline diabetes, n GERD<br><br>

I have 3 beautiful children. <br>

My kids are <br>

25 David<br>

21 Margarita aka Mago<br>

18 Gerardo aka Dude<br>

I love them with all my heart. ..<br>

I guess not being able to go four wheeling with my kids cuz it hurts my back. <br>

Or<br>

Not being able to run with my daughter as she trains top b a police officer<br>

Or<br>

Go muddin with my boss cuz I can't get my butt up into tower lifted trucks. <br>

I could go on and on but my biggest straw is. ..<br>

I have been married to the best man ever for the last 22 years n him telling me baby if you gain so much weight that you can't fit going down the hallway to our room I will put our bed in the living room just to sleep next to you! It killed me. .. so dieting became my life, I was always on 1 diet or another. .<br>

For our 20th anniversary I bought a sect outfit XXL n my fat was still hanging out n I did not feel sexy at all.<br>

I planned to get the surgery had signed up n never went to the seminar cuz my husband is scared of me having another surgery this will be #10....<br>

But two years later n my health going down hill I decided I don't care cuz I wanna b here with him for another 20, 40, 60 years. ..<br>

So my health was the STRAW!

We all get there on our own.. Congratulations.

You will be fine.

Hi. New guy here. This topic made sense for me to introduce myself because I definitely did have a 'final straw'.

I've been trying to loose weight off and on for a long time now. However, I do remember a moment when I decided that surgery was my best option and that enough was enough. Funny thing is, it seems insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but it packed a punch for me that I could no longer ignore.

It was 2 years ago at NYCC(NY Comicon) 2012. I'm an artist in the process of making a career for myself and my wife and I attended NYCC so that I could meet some of the professionals there. I also hoped to show some of my art and get a critique.

So before getting to artist's alley, there are many obstacles one has to navigate. There's the walk from the parking garage, the long lines, the endless crowds and the confusing and Godzilla-sized convention center itself. Intimidating, but not so bad for those lighter on their feet.

Then there's me. I plod through there like Steve Martin trying to get out of a prison cell in the Three Amigos: all weighted feet and arms outstretched, grasping for my destination. I was exhausted. I couldn't make it the length of a hallway without needing to stop. By the time I got to artist's alley, I was out of breath, dripping with sweat and my back felt like someone took a chainsaw to it. Embarrassed and feeling like I was going to faint, I walked past everyone whom I idolized since I was a kid and collapsed in a corner. I didn't talk to anyone and I didn't show any of my art. I just sat there on the ground with my back propped up against the wall. I just sat there with my heart racing and every inch of my body in pain. I sat there and saw my hopes and dreams slipping away.

The next thing I knew my wife was besides me. She had gone ahead when we entered the convention center to another exhibit and the plan was to meet in artist's alley when she was done. I didn't see her approach - I guess some time must have passed because I didn't expect her till later. I only remember staring into space, not being able to think of much, and then she was there. That's when the punch connected.

You see, I was knocked down physically by the exhaustion I felt and even emotionally by the embarrassment of the experience, but the actual knock out punch was the realization I made that what being this unhealthy really meant.

It meant that if my health failed, I might not be around to make my hopes and dreams a reality. More importantly, (I realized as my wife helped me to my feet), wass that I might not be around for her, and the family we hope to create. My nephew might not have his uncle; my sister, and brother and parents and friends and all the rest of 'em might not have me in their life any longer...

...and I was not about to let that happen!

So we left there and I decided that I needed to have surgery. We researched the options together, and in 2013 I started on the process that has lead to now - about 5 hours away from getting my actual surgery date.

It's been a long process but I'm as dedicated to this path now as I was when the 'final straw' happened to me.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this! :)

Hi. New guy here. This topic made sense for me to introduce myself because I definitely did have a 'final straw'.

I've been trying to loose weight off and on for a long time now. However, I do remember a moment when I decided that surgery was my best option and that enough was enough. Funny thing is, it seems insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but it packed a punch for me that I could no longer ignore.

It was 2 years ago at NYCC(NY Comicon) 2012. I'm an artist in the process of making a career for myself and my wife and I attended NYCC so that I could meet some of the professionals there. I also hoped to show some of my art and get a critique.

So before getting to artist's alley, there are many obstacles one has to navigate. There's the walk from the parking garage, the long lines, the endless crowds and the confusing and Godzilla-sized convention center itself. Intimidating, but not so bad for those lighter on their feet.

Then there's me. I plod through there like Steve Martin trying to get out of a prison cell in the Three Amigos: all weighted feet and arms outstretched, grasping for my destination. I was exhausted. I couldn't make it the length of a hallway without needing to stop. By the time I got to artist's alley, I was out of breath, dripping with sweat and my back felt like someone took a chainsaw to it. Embarrassed and feeling like I was going to faint, I walked past everyone whom I idolized since I was a kid and collapsed in a corner. I didn't talk to anyone and I didn't show any of my art. I just sat there on the ground with my back propped up against the wall. I just sat there with my heart racing and every inch of my body in pain. I sat there and saw my hopes and dreams slipping away.

The next thing I knew my wife was besides me. She had gone ahead when we entered the convention center to another exhibit and the plan was to meet in artist's alley when she was done. I didn't see her approach - I guess some time must have passed because I didn't expect her till later. I only remember staring into space, not being able to think of much, and then she was there. That's when the punch connected.

You see, I was knocked down physically by the exhaustion I felt and even emotionally by the embarrassment of the experience, but the actual knock out punch was the realization I made that what being this unhealthy really meant.

It meant that if my health failed, I might not be around to make my hopes and dreams a reality. More importantly, (I realized as my wife helped me to my feet), wass that I might not be around for her, and the family we hope to create. My nephew might not have his uncle; my sister, and brother and parents and friends and all the rest of 'em might not have me in their life any longer...

...and I was not about to let that happen!

So we left there and I decided that I needed to have surgery. We researched the options together, and in 2013 I started on the process that has lead to now - about 5 hours away from getting my actual surgery date.

It's been a long process but I'm as dedicated to this path now as I was when the 'final straw' happened to me.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this! :)

It sounds like you are still young and so I applaud your decision to take control while you are still young enough to reclaim your health. This site has w wealth of information. Spend some time learning from it. You will find support and new friends and you will see that you are not alone nor is your situation unique. My sleeve surgery is June 18 th and I am beyond excited. I have only been obese for about the past 10-15 years but can't wait to take back my health.

200kg :(

In high school I was about 140lbs, which wasn't big at all but I was constantly being called free willy and shamoo. That's when I really starting gaining weight. I couldn't handle the bullying, I would be bullied at school, on the internet, and prank called with mean nasty voice mails. I decided, I had to do something I can't handle this anymore so I began the HCG diet which worked temporarily. I ended up with more weight than what I had lost all said and done. I'm young, 18, and want to be as healthy as I can be. I want to hike the mountains and swim at the lake, I want to be able to bend over without my tummy being in the way. For now my dr says I can't have kids until I get weight off (not that I'm wanting them at a young age but still), I don't have periods, I'm diabetic, and I have PCOS. I'm ready to make my life long choice to be healthy. On July 1 I will be having the gastric sleeve surgery.

Edited by marcumkari

Thank you Lorainsatx. This site and everyone on it has been great. Good luck on your upcoming procedure!

My surgery date is set for June 5th. I'm on the pre-op diet now. It's not easy, but I know I can make it work.

Marcumkari, that's rough that you got bullied. I'm sure many of us have - truly a terrible thing. It's good to read that you made the choice to do something for yourself and you aren't letting it get the best of you. Good luck!

I have been on oxygen for just over 2 years & a CPAP for about 18 months. I don't want to be on this stuff for the rest of my life (I'm 70). My pulmonologist & cardiologist have been after me to lose weight. Both are very happy I made this decision to have the Sleeve. My cousin had a Band about 4 years ago & she suggested the Sleeve instead of the Band. I'm so glad I made this decision. I had the surgery on May 12th & already have lost 21 lbs & feel so much better. Hard to believe 21 lbs would make that much difference. I only have 130 lbs to go. One day at a time!

When my 6 year old girl said, all within about a week...

Mommy you're pretty even though you're fat.

Mommy I love you even though you're chunky but funky. (funny now, not then)

When am I going to have a baby brother or sister?

PCOS makes us require IVF but my BMI is too high for IVF. I could be strong and take it from adults but not from her. Here's to a life of no more "even though"s!

You will be fine.

Thank you I'm trying hopefully have a surgery date in June or July

You will be fine.

Thank you I'm trying hopefully to have a surgery date in June or July

You will be fine.

Thank you I'm trying hopefully to have a surgery date in June or July

I have been disabled because of Osteoarthritus in both knees, now walking bone on bone. I was also diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis in my lower back which is also causing pain down both legs. Both Surgeons have refused to operate because of excess weight. I also have Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and have had blood clots in both legs causing bad circulation in my left leg my right leg is just a bit better. To get down to weight they would be more comfortable with was not gonna happen just by diet alone, so after much research and thought have decided with my PCP and wife that the Gastric Sleeve was the option I was gonna have to take.
Biggest letdown I have is not being able to go out and do anything. I had to quit going hunting and fishing with my son, that hurt the worst. Just going to get groceries is painful and takes me days to get over. Instead of participating in building projects I am stuck sitting on my walker supervising. Used to mow 2 acres in 3 -4 hours, now can barely crawl on or off the mower or ride it for more than 30 minutes without wondering how the heck I was gonna get off the dang thing. It just plain sucks!

Good luck to everyone!! I thought I'd get off the bipap but... Even though I am now normal BMI I still have sleep apnea and stop breathing!! It was one of my straws that still exists.

I cant breathe anymore. I cant garden, I cant be outside when its hot because I cant breathe. My back constantly hurts, now my knees are starting to give. I have uncontrolled diabetes and take over 200, yes, 200 units of insulin a day. I'm 47 and I feel like I am 147 some days. I cant even play with my puppy because he wears me out.

I just want to be able to bend over and plant some flowers or pull some weeds or take a walk with my pup or even not feel self conscience when I put shorts or a bathing suite on.

My final straw just broke.... :o