Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

A few co workers had banding or sleeve. I dieted and lost 50 lbs. my weight came back and theirs didn't. Story of my life! Lose it amd gain it back. Plus some! I dont have a problem losing weight. I am an expert! It's keeping it off that made my decision to be sleeved.

A few co workers had banding or sleeve. I dieted and lost 50 lbs. my weight came back and theirs didn't. Story of my life! Lose it amd gain it back. Plus some! I dont have a problem losing weight. I am an expert! It's keeping it off that made my decision to be sleeved.

I am sick of the yoyo. I hope the sleeve will keep it gone

I am sick of the yoyo. I hope the sleeve will keep it gone

My final straw was having a gallbladder attack and thinking it was a heart attack. The fear of not being around to see my precious grandson grow up was enough to give me the final push toward surgery.

Things I am looking forward to:

Not having people assume I need to sit in the front seat because I'm too big for the back.

Taking my grandson to Disneyland and fitting in all the rides.

Flying in an airplane without anxiety of seat overspill.

Getting on the floor and back up without pain.

Shopping in the regular clothes sections.

Not feeling tired all the time.

A happier, healthy ME!

Surgery tomorrow! Yippee!!!

"The straw that broke the camels back"

HMM that's a hard one.

I guess I would say it's a bunch of little straws...

I was always a tiny person people always told me your too skinny gain weight I was 114.

Now at 218 people say you are perfect you don't need weight lost surgery. ..

Yeah I know I'm not big girl but I have. ..

sleep apnea, Cronic Back pain, pain in my knees n hips, degenerative discs n 2 Bulging discs, I have swelling in the lower part of my legs, rhumitoid arthritis, borderline diabetes, n GERD

I have 3 beautiful children.

My kids are

25 David

21 Margarita aka Mago

18 Gerardo aka Dude

I love them with all my heart. ..

I guess not being able to go four wheeling with my kids cuz it hurts my back.

Or

Not being able to run with my daughter as she trains top b a police officer

Or

Go muddin with my boss cuz I can't get my butt up into tower lifted trucks.

I could go on and on but my biggest straw is. ..

I have been married to the best man ever for the last 22 years n him telling me baby if you gain so much weight that you can't fit going down the hallway to our room I will put our bed in the living room just to sleep next to you! It killed me. .. so dieting became my life, I was always on 1 diet or another. .

For our 20th anniversary I bought a sect outfit XXL n my fat was still hanging out n I did not feel sexy at all.

I planned to get the surgery had signed up n never went to the seminar cuz my husband is scared of me having another surgery this will be #10....

But two years later n my health going down hill I decided I don't care cuz I wanna b here with him for another 20, 40, 60 years. ..

So my health was the STRAW!

My final straw was having a gallbladder attack and thinking it was a heart attack. The fear of not being around to see my precious grandson grow up was enough to give me the final push toward surgery.

Things I am looking forward to:

Not having people assume I need to sit in the front seat because I'm too big for the back.

Taking my grandson to Disneyland and fitting in all the rides.

Flying in an airplane without anxiety of seat overspill.

Getting on the floor and back up without pain.

Shopping in the regular clothes sections.

Not feeling tired all the time.

A happier, healthy ME!

Surgery tomorrow! Yippee!!!

Congrats praying for you!

Diabetes.... That was my last straw.

The Day The New England journal article, recently came out and showed the 5 yr data about surgery curing diabetes..... I looked at the 7 meds that I take each day, and decided.

Having to go to a big and tall store to buy pants. And I'm not tall.

The Day The New England journal article, recently came out and showed the 5 yr data about surgery curing diabetes..... I looked at the 7 meds that I take each day, and decided.[/quote

I heard this data too. And it was a turning point for me, although I was only pre-DM. As a nurse, I was skeptical in the early days of WLS. But the longer term data was impressive.

The usual list, but one additional one that made it all different :)

I had the list going: Hard to wipe my ass, had to eat out at places that had tables rather than booths, the pain I feel in my legs/joints... but having recently got married, I want to be alive and healthy as long as I can. The idea of hikes and travel (which we love to do!) will become more frequent and of a higher calaber.

Love... for self, for another... that is my driving force.

When I started haveing trouble painting my toe nails, and when I started to notice fat starting to overlap my bra, especially in the armpit area where it shows when wearing a tank top! Also became prediabetic and high cholesterol! Wanted to avoid having to give myself bloodsugar tests and taking more meds. Wanna be able to shop for clothes anywhere, not just specialty stores.

I think for me, my last straw wasn't 1 thing specifically but a build up of so many last straws!

Like everything in life there are needs and wants. Reasons you NEED to lose weight and reasons you WANT to lose the weight!

For all of us brave, beautiful, strong people who have made the decision to finally take back some control of our lives the needs are the first and most important ones. My needs and wants are probably the same as some of you but together we can do it.!

1. I NEED to be able to walk up a flights of stairs and not feel like I am going to have a heart attack.

2. I need to seriously lower my cholesterol before I have a heart attack and leave my girls without a mother

and a husband without his wife.

3. I need to stop my joints from feeling like they will give out at any moment

4. I need to stop the pain I feel in my lower back all the time

5. I need to lower my blood pressure before I have a stroke

6. I need to wake up and not feel so sad and depressed anymore

1. I WANT to be able to be active with my family and not have to sit down to rest after 5 minutes

2. I want to go shopping with my daughters and or friends and actually buy something besides shoes

3. I want to not find a reason to stay home every time we get invited to a family get together

4. I want to be able to walk through a row of seated people and not be afraid I won't fit.

5. i want to love going to the beach

6. I want to finally feel full when I eat

7. I want to wear a bra that only has one letter in it :blink: :)

I have just started my journey and get closer to my surgery date with every doctors appointment and clearance letter I get! I hope that some of you can relate to my needs and wants and look forward to sharing everyones weight loss journey together, the up days and the downs.!! God bless

Edited by 630racoon

:)

Edited by 630racoon

At 65years of age developed left knee problems. Have only been overweight since mid 50's and was sure that if I just tried harder, focused a little more, gave up that glass of wine etc. I could drop this weight. That is just not going go happen. I am an RN, eat a healthy diet, exercise and still weigh 215 ,lbs. I am waiving the white flag and will have a gastric sleeve 6/18/14. I am excited.