Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys - Be Honest Please.

For me, it felt like the stomach pain you get about 2 seconds after getting kicked in the boys. That lasted for most of the first two days. Like everyone else said, the pain meds you get take care of most of it.

It's not that bad. Sucks right when you wake up, but they give you pain killers and the stuff they have in the hospital rocks. ;) The first day is the worst and each day it improves. I stopped taking anything for pain by day 3. Walk as much as you can, it definitley makes you feel better. It's normal to obsess about this, but you will be fine. Good luck!

Well I'm going on 2 years out and the initial pain is fading into the distant memory. I guess they had me pretty doped up at first, the overwhelming feeling I had was just a crappy feeling - something I almost always feel post anesthesia. I don't really remember any real pain at all other than just feeling crappy, drug out, tired and nauseas.

I had my surgery Monday and was back to work Thursday so it wasn't that bad - and believe me I'm a wuss when it comes to pain and discomfort. And NO I don't recommend going back to work so fast, I had no vacation or sick days I could schedule for the weeks immediately following the operation because of everyone else squeezing their own vacation into that same December. I had just enough money on medical expenses that I needed to have tis done in December to take advantage of the tax break - something I seldom have any more - so waiting till January or later was not feasible.

I had no pain worth noting. I was uncomfortable and took the pain meds as a preventative and clearly they worked because I felt zero actual pain. I did not have a morphine pain pump or anything like that. Just codeine and paracetamol which I took four hourly for about 5 days and then nothing.

I had open abdominal surgery two years ago for a strangulated hernia and that was extremely painful, I also have had a Caesarian birth, in comparison the sleeve hardly rates.

Had my surgery 8/9...pain never got above five the first day and got considerably lower as each day passed, stopped taking pain meds 5 days after. Walking a mile a day now has really helped too. I will say the hiccups were the worst part about it, that just meant you need to walk. Any pain is worthwhile for lifelong health. I was 440 going in but as a college football player and current coach, my recovery has been stellar...the liquid diet for twoi weeks is rough but getting used to it. Can't wait to add eggs, cheese, chicken, tuna, etc next week! Good luck!!

I never had to take any pain meds once home from hospital. Day 1 in hospital hurt, but was manageable and I walked a lot. The pain was from gas. Once home all I had to deal with was has pain, and it got better each day.

Like you, I was terrified of the pain! For me, I was never really in "pain". I had muscle soreness that was about a 4 for two days then went up to 6 days 3-6 now I am fine. I never had nausea, not once. I have not vomited once. I had surgery aug 2 and just started soft food. I echo others comments, the pain isn't the worst part. The liquid diet SUCKS worse than anything! Especially in my case when I felt so good! I was out driving my boat, alone, week one. I did some gardening (cut down 3 trees and rototilled) weeks 2. So to feel THAT good and be on a liquid diet was terrible! But, you gotta buck up and do it. Not worth risking a leaking to break the diet! Good luck! I am 2 weeks post op, from the time I first weighed in at my weight loss dr (july 2) till today I have gone from 310 lbs to 272 lbs. It is worth every single aggrivating sip of blended soup! if you don't have myfitnesspal.com, get it!!!!!

if you don't have myfitnesspal.com' date=' get it!!!!!

[/quote']

+1 on MyFitnessPal. It is incredibly useful when you start eating.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I would say an 8 immediately after surgery- I felt burning in my belly- I swore I could feel each staple. That went away very quickly and my pain was very, very well managed (3) once I got to the room. I walked within a couple of hours getting to the room, and everything has gone incredibly well ever since.

I was a 4-5 for a couple of hours after surgery in recovery until they got me ahead of the pain with some shots of whatever the heck it was.

After that it was a 0-2, and I was released the next day with no pain in the PM after they took me off the morphine drip in the AM to prep for release. I took some liquid pain meds home and ended up using some for a few nights to sleep, but not for pain.

Just be honest about your pain level, there's no shame. They'll give you whatever you need to get it under control.

It too was my first time having surgery and I too was nervous about it. When I woke from the surgery I was just nausous and very tired. Pain was almost non existant though, I was pretty doped up I am sure!! The next day I was waiting until my pain would get to a 3 or 4 before I requested more pain meds. By day 2-3 I would say it would get to a 2. Then by day 4 I was OFF my pain meds and haven't had any pain at all since...It is very tolerable!! Don't worry about it you "literally" won't feel a thing!

I never really had a pain but more of a feeling of being uncomfortable heart burn it lasted 2 days and slowly got better

I would rate the pain a 4 out of 10. The only incision that hurt was my belly button and it was totally tolerable. The first 3 or 4 days I took pain meds but stopped after that. The first few days I would get periodic gas pains but those stopped too. I can't believe how easy this has been so far.

Overall, the pain was far less than I expected. The first day was not bad because I had a spinal block...of course I couldn't feel anything below the waist lol. The worst part was actually the gas pain.....i had one bad episode where they shot me up with morphine because it hurt, otherwise pain was never above a 3 or so. You hear everyone saying it because it's true....walk walk walk walk and then walk some more if you can manage it. That is the best pain remedy in my view.

I had my surgery Oct.10, 2012. I remember waking up in recovery and being in alot of pain in my chest and shoulders...maybe a 9 or 10. I also remember that I couldn't breath very well. I remember asking for something for the pain and the nurse told me when I could breath better she would give me something. I told her if she would give me something for the pain, I could breath better.... But that was from the gas they put in me to do the surgery. By the time I got to my room I'd say I was at a 4. After that, the day of surgery, I'd say it then went to 2. I had some nausea also for a couple of hours that first afternoon. But since the day of the surgery I've not had much pain at all. Just soreness. Over all the pain and nausea was a lot less than I expected ( Thank the Lord) What real pain I've had is eatting a bite or 2 too much. I still do that every now and then and it hurts.