Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey guys can anyone help? how long after surgery could you have driven? (not doctor recommendations) but rather when did you feel like you were coherant enough to be driving & up to driving without being a danger on the road? anyone actually drive themself home from hospital?? Any answers would be appreciated :)

My doc said once I was off the pain meds... For me it was about 10 days although I still took pain meds at night. My first time driving though was strange... I just felt disconnected... Or distracted..I live in Dallas and had to drive 30 min into the city so I just took it easy on the highways.

I was driving on day 4. I was off of my pain meds by the morning of day 2 and could have easily driven on day 3. I think it really depends on pain meds. You wouldn't want to drive when you are still taking them.

I was about 19 days but should have waited for 21 days due to my car insurance not being valid until 3 weeks post op. The problem is not driving, I could have probably driven after about 8 days, it's having the stomach muscles to perform an emergency stop. But that's UK car insurance, it could well be different over there.

thanks for your replies, Im considering driving home from surgery, but will depend on how Im feeling afterwards... Ive heard a few people say that they have felt fine enough & have driven themselves home :/

Depends how far you have to drive. I drove myself home after surgery (ie 2 days post op) It was a 75 kilometre trip or 45 minutes of open road. If your still on pain meds , I wouldn't recommend it. Your not going to know how you will feel, so best to have a back up plan :)

Depends how far you have to drive. I drove myself home after surgery (ie 2 days post op) It was a 75 kilometre trip or 45 minutes of open road. If your still on pain meds ' date=' I wouldn't recommend it. Your not going to know how you will feel, so best to have a back up plan :)[/quote']

thanks michelle, i definitely will catch a cab home if I need to but then will have to arrange to get back to hospital to pick my car up. Its about a 40 minute drive for me which will be alot in cab fares & money Id like to save if possible. I dont know anyone I could have drop me off or pick me up as I have moved state recently. Did you feel ok painwise to do the drive?

I had no problems with pain while driving. Does your surgeon do drains? Mine didn't but I think if you had one it would make the drive very uncomfortable. 40 minutes isn't too bad. When I discussed driving home with my Dr, he was more concerned about me being tired. I said if I got too tired in that 40 mins that I would pull over for awhile. I was fine though. I also didn't take any pain meds that day until I got home.

I'm not cleared to drive until after my first week follow-up appointment, but cognitively I've been cohesive enough to drive since day 3. It is still hard for me to tolerate sitting up for too long though, incision discomfort and my belly fat jiggles too much that I just don't want to focus on driving. I did not have a drain.

The clinic had a patient once who was post-op RNY who got into a car accident and the combination force from the seatbelt and airbag caused her stomach to "rupture" and she bled profusely. So the nurse practitioner made it clear they had their rules for a reason. My mother makes me ride in the back seat :P.

I wasn't given the okay to drive until after my 2 week appointment - I think in case I was still using pain meds. I did a short drive to the store about 4 or 5 days post-op and did fine. I don't think I would have been fine to drive home on my own because I was still on quite a bit of pain meds and had been on morphine in the early morning a few hours before I left. Not to mention the pain would definitely have restricted my driving. Some people have said that after a day or so they have little or no pain, so I suppose it could be possible - especially if you made sure you were off the pain meds long enough for them to wear off a bit.

I didn't have this surgery yet, but I asked my MD why we are not allowed to drive for 1-2 weeks.

and he said that. as soon as you off the meds you "could" drive, but the problem is if you get into car accident your have less chances to survive. because stomach will be ruptured and you will have internal bleeding and he is not sure if it would be enough time to get you to the hospital.

I was on lovenox (blood thinner) for 10 days post op and was told not to travel more than 20 minutes in a car. If I would have gotten in a minor accident it could have been fatal.

My doctor's rule for driving is off pain meds, and as soon as you can stomp your right foot real hard a few times without pain - in case you need to hit the brakes. I drove probably on day 6 to the store right up the street. Like a PP, I hadn't been on pain meds except at night to help me sleep, but I felt really disconnected. It was rather bizarre. And I LOVE driving, so that was an unusual experience for me.

My hospital would not release me unless i had a ride home. I am 11 days out and do not feel i could drive yet. It will amaze you how the jiggle of bumps in the road hurt your tummy. I have to put pressure on it while riding.

I was driving the day after I got home! Oh, and I was sent home the next day. So 2 days after. I was barely on pain meds but even if I were, Loritab is like no biggie to me. I used to get them for cramps. Lol.