Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess since my surgeon and classes said this was just a 1 hour surgery with just an over night in the hospital that I didn't think I had to stay down too long. Day 4 yesterday post-op and I went to Target with my husband and today we went to costco. It's hard getting in and out of the car and I'm pretty tired. My friends say I'm doing way too much and I need to lay around for the next 2 weeks. In class I was told I need to walk, walk, walk.

What was your experience?

Michele

It is complicated because you do need to walk a lot to get all of the gas out of your body. I was told it could be there for weeks. If you don't get it out, you will be very uncomfortable. I felt so tired for several weeks after surgery and asked about it on this site. So many people told me that it was expected and completely normal. To help ward that feeling of exhaustion, be certain to drink the Protein, it really makes a difference. I was also instructed by my surgeon to walk one block my first day home and to add more distance each day. By the end of my first week, I was walking a mile and a half. It is a good thing!

It's different for everyone. You CAN overdo it. A walk can be a lap around your house. Or down to the mail box. Or around the block. I was told to get up and walk about every 2 hours. I don't push myself. I got out of the hospital on day 3, so day 4 I was taking it pretty easy. My first grocery store run didn't happen til day 6 or 7 and even then, it was a short trip.

I agree, everyone is different. The main thing is to listen to YOUR body and give yourself permission to rest when you need to. Some days I felt great and other days I was exhausted. Some days I way overdid it and paid the next day. Other days I could go go go and was fine. I felt pretty normal by 2 weeks out. I don't think you need to lay around for the first two weeks if you feel like you have the energy to go. Personally, I found the busier I was, the easier it was for me to get through the first two weeks because then I was not constantly thinking about food. Just make sure you are taking your Water with you! For me, on day 5, 6 and 7 I had to drive my son to Miami (2 hours away) sit outside in the hot sun watching his football camp all afternoon and evening, feed him dinner and then drive home. We did this three days in a row. I brought my Protein Shakes and water in a rolling cooler (since I couldn't lift more than 10 pounds per doctor order) and made the best of it. I survived and am no worse for the wear.