Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If You Could?...

Make skinny people understand, how?!

Some ideas from other thread;

Put them in fat suit,

Make them run in fat suit,

Make them clothes shop in fat suit,

Comment on everything they eat, all the time!!!

And so on!

EVIL ideas welcome :D

It would be nice if they could feel for one day how people few someone that is overweight. They have no clue how we have felt and been treated. What it is like to try and find cute clothes without looking or feeling sloppy. If their was only a true way to make them feel what we have felt it would be a blessing to humanity.

I understand people can be ignorant.. I remember a "friend" of mine in high school would shake my legs and call them "jello legs" need less to say we haven't talked in 4 years. That's the past and soon I will be a healthier me and make sure I'm a good person and always show kindness especially to those who didn't show me any.

You can't. No fat suit will ever put a skinny person in a fat person's head. It's an addiction. I personally cannot understand how someone can be addicted to cigarettes. So I just imagine that that is how a skinny person sees a food addiction. Some skinny people may be able to rationalize that, but really truly understand it and feel it? No, not going to happen.

I understand people can be ignorant.. I remember a "friend" of mine in high school would shake my legs and call them "Jello legs" need less to say we haven't talked in 4 years. That's the past and soon I will be a healthier me and make sure I'm a good person and always show kindness especially to those who didn't show me any.

That person needs to be punched. Forgive my violent tendencies, my sleeve seems to have made me all angry and emotional. Lol

I've encountered a lot of skinny people who hate to be called skinny, or have the fact that they're skinny brought to their attention. This is especially true for men who "just can't gain weight or put on size". Some guys just can't put on muscle mass...they get "tone" but never really bulk up. And they HATE that they can't.

I know that can often be the case with flat-chested women as well.

I don't advocate the eye-for-an-eye brand of justice, but skinny people have these chinks in their armor as well, vulnerable spots if you will, that can be exploited. If one were so inclined, that is...

Lol @ gust avo!!!

As a kid my best friend was so skinny, but I felt so bad for her, literally her only lunch was a green apple-she used to come over my place for dinner!!! now she's still rake/model thin but is addicted to McDonald's!!! Eats it once a day but that's all she eats!!!

I'm just more about the psychology behind helping people relate to being overweight- shallow Hal was a nice movie like that, you know!?

My mum describes it a bit like alcoholism, and I'm a smoker so I agree with 5doxiemom in that respect :)

But it's seen in a different light by most people than alcoholics or drug addicts in that being fat is very visible and everyone thinks they have the right to comment on us... But how would they feel if we really could show them?!

I don't think you learn compassion by being forced to wear a fat suit etc. you have it because of the way you were raised or you don't. Had I ever called someone fat in my childhood or Jello thighs I'd have been punished. I also don't make fun of people with different abilities, different skin tone, etc. I'm 5' tall and don't make short or tall people jokes and I actually rarely refer to anyone as skinny. (crazy arsed models...sometimes). Ive been both slim and overweight and find remarks on both sides to be offensive. To assume my weight level determines my compassion level is wrong. You don't know that that "skinny" girl might just be a successful sleeve patient...you don't know their story, but building resentment against them just for their weight is not healthy.

Build resentment for people because they are rude or less than compassionate on an individual level....not based on their jeans size. It's kinda like saying all "fat" people are depressed or angry.....not fair or correct right?

I guess I only say skinny ppl coz rarely do I find myself judging or being judged by other big people... Some people who are compassionate in all other areas just don't understand how HARD this is!!! My partners family are prime examples... One is lawyer for aboriginal rights and still thinks wls is the "easy way out"!! He is very fit and never personally affected by weight issues before his brother met me....

Also I have met therapists, THERAPISTS, who have just NOT understood how psychologically traumatising it is to yo-yo over and over again with my weight!

I had kids run over me with their bikes and poke me with sticks when I was little because they couldn't see me for me... They were all slim...

I don't hate thin ppl at all, I've been 80 pounds and 300 pounds but being 300 pounds is probably the only reason why I can understand others who are overweight... If I had stayed a healthy 110 pounds my whole life maybe I wouldn't have the insight I do....

i'd make it so that no matter how hard they tried/what they ate/how much they worked out.. the scale would barely move... so they can see how hard it is to lose weight.