Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Find That Some People Find It Odd That You Would Do This So Late In Life?

Sign in to follow this  

Most of the people I know who've had this surgery are young - in their twenties and thirties. I've had people ask me why I would do this at age 57. Why not just see if I could diet if off?

A young woman I work with wanted to know if I was doing this so I could look slim and "hot" and why would someone my age worry about that? LOL

I did this mostly for my health. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and am pre-diabetic. I would by lying if I said that I am not interested in looking good, too.

I'm single and, yes, even "old" men in their 50s and 60s want an attractive (slim) girlfriend.

Thoughts from the 50 something members?

I guess this is why I have opted to tell no one except my husband, my 19 year old daughter and my closest friend. I am doing it because I do want to look good again. Tired of: being tired, pain, slow, frumpy, dumpy and depressed. I am doing this for me, and me alone. I figure as a 50 something, i have less time to possibly gain the weight back! Just kiddding...really looking for a slimmer, sprier me

I work full time and people will ask how I am losing weight and I just can't lie!

I can't blame you for wanting to look hot! I'm tired of shopping for the big flowery muumuus in the fat lady's clothing stores. LOL

I had this surgery so I will be around to see my granddaughter grow up. Not to impress anyone, just to be healthy. In our 50's it's hard to "just" diet it off. This sleeve is the tool I needed to help drop the weight & a second chance to live my life right. Not going to stretch the sleeve like I did my old stomach!

Is anyone else finding that they are not loosing as much as the young ones? I was sleeved on May 17th and have only lost 50 pounds. I also have two very bad knees. Don't get me wrong I am thrilled with the loss just wonder what part age plays into it.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I am 56, 5'4', 270# and I feel so confident in my decision! My sleeve is scheduled for Sept. 8 and I've started my pre-op diet. I think part of me was in denial about how truly fat I am! I am ruining my health-high cholesterol, HTN, both knees need replaced, pre-diabetic. I can hardly walk to my unit in the hospital from the parking lot to get to work!

I had to wake up and get real.

I didn't think I could do it (lose the weight), but I can!

It seems so long since I decided to go through with this. I am 53 yrs with a 14 yr old and an almost 13 yr old. I need to keep up with them and want to be active with them. I started this process in Feb and finally have a date of Oct 24th. Am anxious and a bit excited to start this journey!

Hubby wasn't supportie at first, but has since realized I must do this....his BMI is 25!! I can do this!!

I am 53, and cant remeber what it was like to feel light and confident. I think the last time was right before I had my beautiful daughter, who is now 32! Dont get me wrong Ive gone up and down so many times, with so many diets. I just never got all the way down and stayed at a healthy weight. But at this age my kids are grown and I have all the time in the world to take care of me. So this is it, Im doing it for me. I want whatever time I have left, to be a healthier me, and yes a more attractive me. This is our time to shine, I feel this could be the best age ever......So here we go, i hope everyone is as excited as I am for the next chapter!

Oh and by the way It is only as late as you think it is.... I dont feel that way at all. This is a great age, and it will only get better for you. Sometimes younger people dont think before they say things or can make us feel like our feelings dont matter. A woman can be beautiful and sexy at any age. Look at Helen Mirren! I hope all is going well for you

Anyone younger can't truly appreciate how hard it is to lose weight at my age. And I don't think of myself as being all that old--just a little tired and out of shape:)

I still have a number of months before I'll be able to have my sleeve (somewhere in the mid-March/early April timeframe). I haven't told a lot of people yet, mostly because I don't want them worrying unnecessarily. My husband, my ex-boss (who is also a good friend) and our closest 3 friends know, as well as my brother and sister-in-law. My other sisters and my parents and in-laws will hear about it in due time, once dates are settled and I've made final commitment to have the surgery. It's not that I consider it a big secret - I tend to be pretty open about these things. However, I also don't want a lot of people fussing about it, nor am I willing to be the cause of a lot of extra stress for family members who have plenty of other more important things to worry about right this second.

Of those I have told, nobody seems to find it odd that I want to have it done "at my age", but then, most people don't seem to remember I'm 51, not 41. And if they did find it odd, well, I want it for the same reasons most of you have already cited, and I would probably laugh at them and run down the list - that's just the kind of person I am!

First, it's about my health. I'm a type-II diabetic, have high cholesterol, and I'm borderline for blood pressure. I have pain in my hips, knees and ankles on occasion, especially if I walk too much or ride a bike. I'd love to lose enough weight to see resolution or at least reduction in some of these health issues.

Less importantly, but still significant to me: I want to look thinner. I want to be active easily - the 10-mile walks that we do consistently when we're on vacation should be FUN, not painful! I want to fit in airplane seats without thinking about it. I want to be able to shop in normal shops for clothes, not fat women or men's sections to find something that fits comfortably. I don't want to wonder if I didn't get the job because I'm obese, since I was clearly qualified. I want to turn a cartwheel again, just because!

I am 58 yrs old and I am doing it because I want to be healthy and live longer. I am a diabetic, and weigh 289 lbs and just tired of lugging all this lard around. I have dieted my entire life and nothing helps for long. I think maybe I should have done this a long time ago....

Hi Gail. You are my age and just about the same weight I was when I started my VSG journey. I have lost 38 pounds so far and feel great. I was pre-diabetic but my blood glucose levels are normal now. My blood pressure has dropped, too. Let's not forget how much fun it is to put on clothes that were getting snug 5 months ago and are now bagging all around me.

You won't regret having this surgery. You will be able to eat just about anything you could before but only in small amounts. Just be sure to learn as much as you can and follow all your doctor's and nutritionist's instructions.

I'm happy for you and wish you well. Keep us posted as to how you are doing!

Thanks for the encouragement it means the world to me. I will keep you posted when have my surgery and hope I have as much success as you have. Again, thanks and talk to you soon!

Im 53; Diabetic; High Cholestrol and BP; GERD; Arthritis (with an especially bad R knee/don't want replaced!) and on medications for all of the above! I have survived breast cancer with a bilat mastectomy and chemo (5 years out). I know that on the one hand, people think that looks are not important when you get our age, but wait until they get there! I have a full time profession where I am with the public and co-workers, and while I will be relieved to be healthier and off of the meds (my brain knows this) I will be also be happy that I will not longer have to buy scrubs in such large sizes and will look nice (my heart knows this!). Balance is important in life and as we get older, we need to have other reasons to be happy after our children are gone and living thier own lives! My husband, bless him would never imply by a look or comment that I am not acceptable at this weight, but I want to look nice for him also! I realize that most having this done are younger, but I think that it is brave for us to do this at our age since really we could just "coast" and accept "what do you expect, she is going to be 60 - it does not matter what she looks like" which is what I have heard. I am looking forward to interacting with others during this journey. Am looking at a November surgery date at this point!!