Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Find That Some People Find It Odd That You Would Do This So Late In Life?

Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I am new to the group. I haven't had that kind of question yet. I lost my hubby of 27 years a few months ago and as I am now finding out who "I" am instead of "we" . I heard about this surgery & bamm, I knew that this was for me. I am 53 with high blood pressure and like most have been on every diet & gimmick under the sun. I contacted Medical Tourism on Sept 5/12 and I was sleeved on 9/26/12 and am down 29lbs now. I feel great. I only told a few close freinds prior to going and then shared with family once I got back. Didn't want anyone worrying or thinking I had "gone off the deep end" for going to TJ for surgery LOL!. Now that I have told them, they of course scolded me for not letting them know where I went but have been super supportive! I will be returning to my job at the end of the month so I will have to figure out whether to tell or not tell my staff LOL!!

Dear Cinders,

Sorry to hear about your loss, I have been there. I lost my husband to cancer in 2008 and I am just getting used to being by myself and decided its now or never. I want to feel good about myself and healthy for my kids and grandsons. We are on a journey to a better life, we must congratulate each other for being brave and making a good decision. Cheers to us!

Thanks Gail. I need to be healthier to be able to take care of myself, my dogs & my property. I live rural, on 5 acres and there are chores etc. that go along with this lifestyle. I also want to enjoy my grandbabies and enjoy my time with them watching them grow up & discover this beautiful world we live in :)

Cinders,

We have a lot in common I too live for my dog, chocolate. He saved my life when I lost my husband we were married for 37 years. I have 3 daughters and 1 son who passed away when he was 21, killed by a drunk driver. But I was lucky to have him for 21 blessed years. Lets keep in touch with one another, I feel good talking with you. :)

Hi Ladies:

I just joined this group today. I am 58 and am doing this for health reasons, high bp, high cholesterol, pre-diabetic, sore knees and back. But I am also doing this for me. I too am sick and tired of not recognizing or remembering what I used to look like. As a 58 year old woman, I sometimes feel that people don't even see me anymore, and I am still not used to being called Ma'am :). I have a great husband with great family support but I am also glad to find a place where I can find people who experience what I experience on this journey. Glad to be here with you all. Sharon from Kansas City, MO.

Sorry, I was a little off topic, with the start of this thread, but I had to come back and respond to that portion too. I tell everyone about it. I am proud I have made this decision for myself and I figure that when I start losing weight people will notice (I hope!! :) ) and I will tell them anyway.Other than my family, I don't care what people think about it, as their opinion doesn't factor into what I do. I feel empowered by being in my fifties with all the self knowledge that this age has given me and I want to tell everyone!! :D Sharon kcmo

I don't think 50 is late in life! I did this because I wanted to live to see my grandchildren grow up, I was so heavy I was afraid I was going to die. I am a bit jealous of the younger ones who seem to be losing faster but I already feel 100% better! I'm down 59 lbs from my highest weight.

Hi there everybody! My Mom died 2 years ago from obesity-related diseases, and I decided not to follow the same path. As many of you have said, I had tried everything and my life was a series of dieting, losing and then gaining it back, plus more. I was pre-diabetic, high blood pressure, etc etc. and I finally said ENOUGH!

I don't know that even if it was available, if I would have gotten sleeved when I was younger. I think I was in denial and thought I could always take it off when I wanted to...I enjoy food too much....Big Beautiful Women are wonderful....:)

I am thankful for the opportunity and happy that I have a good chance of being around another few decades to enjoy my life!