Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biotin was recommended to me by my hair stylist to promote growth. I am almost 7 weeks post op and haven't noticed any loss of hair....yet. I started on biotin this week though.

My hair is falling out like crazy and I take Biotin every day. Mine started falling out around my third month postop.

I am a hairstylist and I would recommend taking the Biotin and also getting yourself some Shampoo for thinning hair. Nioxin is a brand that we sell in our salon and is used to promote Hair growth. It works awesome! I am hoping to have surgery in Oct. and have already started with the biotin and Nioxin shampoo. If you do lose hair due to surgery it should come back. I have quite a few clients that have gone through this and after a few months their hair starts coming back and is much healthier. Good luck!

Does Biotin come in liquid form? I am 3 weeks out and I can't swallow any pills yet, however I really want to prevent future Hair loss if at all possible.

I am a hairstylist and I would recommend taking the Biotin and also getting yourself some Shampoo for thinning hair. Nioxin is a brand that we sell in our salon and is used to promote Hair growth. It works awesome! I am hoping to have surgery in Oct. and have already started with the Biotin and Nioxin shampoo. If you do lose hair due to surgery it should come back. I have quite a few clients that have gone through this and after a few months their hair starts coming back and is much healthier. Good luck!

I hope so because I HAD a head full of thick hair..now..it's coming out in fist fulls! I'm on 7,500 mg of biotin..not eat junk..following the prescribed diet so maybe once all of the metabolic changes slow...it will be better..I hope...oh well..it's worth it even if I go bald..they have wigs and weave for that!

I hope so because I HAD a head full of thick hair..now..it's coming out in fist fulls! I'm on 7' date='500 mg of Biotin..not eat junk..following the prescribed diet so maybe once all of the metabolic changes slow...it will be better..I hope...oh well..it's worth it even if I go bald..they have wigs and weave for that![/quote']

I hear ya with the thick hair. I am afraid karma is going to bite me, as I have tons of hair, and I constantly complain about it. I would rather have to deal with spending an 2 hours to blow dry and CHI my hair than have no hair at all :-(

I recently started to take Biotin 5000 mcg a day because my hair is thinning really bad. Has anyone here taken Biotin for hair' date=' skin or nails? Does it work?

My worry is that once I have surgery the few strands of hair I have left will fall out. [/quote']

Yes me and biotin have been good friends for a while and get along quite well. Even before thoughts of surgery I took it just to keep full healthy thick grade of hair, and I went to Vitamin shoppe to get the chewables so I could still take after surgery

I started taking Andrew Lessman's hair Skin & Nails formula which you can buy online for about $30.00... I SWEAR by this stuff and I have had minimal Hair loss and my nails look fabulous!! There is a good amount of Biotin in the product along with other ingredients.... Hair loss normally starts about 3-4 months post-op... I am 4 months and 3 days and while I see an increase of hair in my brush I haven't really noticed any thinness.... If I am losing hair more hair is growing in right behind it.... :)

I lost a little more hair then usual for a few months. I am now a year out and my hair is just fine. no extra loss anymore. no one seemed to notice my Hair loss, only my weight loss....so I was happy for the exchange. good luck everyone!

My hair is falling out like crazy and I am on 7500 mcg of Biotin daily. I had a head full of thick straight hair.. Now it's thinned out a lot, but still looks healthy ..I brush out handfuls daily. From what my doc had told me, it usually starts about 3-6 months out ..I am 4 months out. And as someone else said, it will grow back. My thinking is if I lose 150-200 pounds..I can wear a wig!

That was my thinking too! If weight loss= Hair loss the weight loss was a bigger improvement! Then I lost my hair and only lost 47 lbs, not the trade off I was looking for! My hair loss started right after surgery and has continued to about 5 months, it's slowed considerably in the last few weeks. When I was fatter, I had long gorgeous super thick hair that I thought was my best asset...hopefully it will grow back the same eventually but my bigger concern is getting the rest of the weight off and keeping off!

I'm at four months out now and I stated noticing more hair in the shower and after blow-drying about two weeks ago. It's not bad though, at least for me. It's not coming out in handfuls or anything like that yet. And, it does grow back. I'm taking Biotin -- started at about month 2. The pills are really small so the go down easy. I have noticed a real difference in my fingernails. They are a lot stronger. I'll take the Hair loss, because the weight loss is excellent!

Biotin alone will not do the trick...you have to have enough protein!

Mine started falling out at 3 months post-op, too, and according to the doctor's nurse, that is pretty common. The best way to keep what you have is to be SURE to get a minimum of 64 grams of Protein daily and take a biotin.

My hair has pretty much stopped falling out (surgery was in March) and I think it is starting to thicken up again. I honestly don't think anything you do before surgery will be a long time solution.

Hair, I can grow. Body, I am trying to shrink!