Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days left before my surgery and I'm freaking out. I've been doing the liquid diet 3 shakes and a light dinner at night. I have made my self some eggs for my bday and had a small 7 oz steak but thats besides the point. Basically freaking out cause of the staples and leakage and all that kind of stuff. I've lost about 12 pounds since I started the pre op diet. Do the staples dissolve? Do I have to worry 3 years from now of leakage or if the stamach expands?

I didn't have surgery yet, but I already found answer to some of your questions.

1. Staples are titanium and they are not dissolve. but stomach tissue does grow over this - apparently.

2. stomach can be expands if you are not eating right.

I doubt that in 3 years fom now you can get the leak. I think this is can only happened in time right after surgery ( I am talking might be about weeks)

They test u the next day for leakage! My Dr didn't require preop liquid diet just did soft foods 1 day preop and had no problems so far.. 2day makes 2 weeks and I'm down 27lbs. No worry especially if your surgeon is part of biatric excellence board!

Staples are for life but they are safe for MRI machines and xrays and all that. My doctor also stiches over the staple line as an added measure. Ask if your surgeon does that. Your stomach can expand a little bit but the stretchy part is taken out so it is minimal. Most people who regain do so by grazing all day. Pre-op I could eat a box of cheez-its in one sitting without thinking about it. Now, several months post-op I could probably still eat a box but it would take me all day. So just be really mindful that when you are full you do not take another bite of any food for several more hours. I eat 4 times a day with at least one of those meals being a shake and one being something like a string cheese or yogurt only. When I was pre-op that sounded crazy to me but now it just works. I know here will be a day when I really struggle with wating right but now it has just been a couple of slip ups here and there on vacation. I was told at my 2 week post-op apt that the chance of leak at that point was as close to zero as possible. My doctor leak checks with air before he closes his incisions and then does a barium swallow leak check as well. And he allows nothing by mouth until that second check is done. I can't believe how many people were allowed Jello and broth before their barium swallow. Some doctors cut corners and only do one. My doctor has been doing this for years and has never ever had a leak. That says something.

Ty all for the comments, Still freaking out though. It's funny you do the pre op diet and lose between 10-20 pounds and you think to yourself well this isnt bad if I did this and went to the gym I could probably lose alot more weight.

Irishmama2004, who was your doctor if I may ask? I'm going to Dr. Alvarez in October and he does the same thing with stitching over the staples and leak test during surgery. I'm almost there... can't believe how fast my time is coming. In the beginning it felt like forever and now in 56 days I will be rockin my sleeve woo hoo

My doctor was Dr. Mailapur in Huntsville, AL.