Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and was sleeved on July 26, 2012. I know everyone's Dr gives different rules. But I enjoy my cocktails and raw oysters...please share with me how long did it take you to have a cocktail and how did it make you feel? I've read people say wait 6mon to a year but I know people personally that didn't wait that long and was fine and still able to stay on track with weight loss..I'm craving my cocktails please don't judge!

I had a drink about two months out and have a drink at least once a week usually I drink vodka tonic with lime with cranberry they have cranberry juice made with Splenda that I use or the skinny girl line is usually low cal low carb depending which one you get . I suggest you take it easy at first and see how your body tolerates it cause I did have an experience where I felt fine and then it all hit me at once and let's just say I didn't feel very good the next day haha !!! I even have an occasional glass of wine I just track my calories on my fitness pal and always make sure I'm staying within my calories and working out !! I'm almost four months out now and have lost 60 pounds and feeling great ;-)

I was given a gift of a facial with a chocolate martini so I asked my dietician. She said to wait til close to the end date of the gift coupon to do it which isn't until Oct. My surgery was in June. The surgeon said to wait a year for alcohol or just one on a special occassion.

The latest research on NAFLD (Non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease), which most high BMI people have even if the doctor hasn't mentioned it like that, shows to try to avoid alcohol consumption as much as possible. Hopefully lessening weight especially by over 20% will correct some of the benign NAFLD problem (also shown in research). If a person is NASH, the not benign condition but inflamed and fibrotic liver, then alcohol isn't recommended at all. This question might be a good one to ask your doctor or dietician because of these factors.

Thanks you guys for the honest answers! I have a post op visit next week and anxious to see what he says. I asked him in my preop visits and he didn't state any specific time frame. I have been googling all type of low cal cocktails..I not going crazy without one but I can't wait to have one!

My surgeon cleared alcohol after two months. He doesn't encourage it because of empty calories.

2 months hmmmm that's not bad. I have a concert Sept 3 and we rented a party bus and I would love to enjoy one of the low cal cocktails I found online.

Good question, I had already figured it was at least a year out according to what I have heard in my class. I guess each surgeon is different.

I have been looking it up too. It's not even so much low cal but low carb. I am trying to find something that is low carb and I found the skinny girl margarita's and red wine is suppose to be low carb. Unfortunately for me, I like beer and hard ciders, which are both carbonated and I will have to forego them. I also like champagne, again, carbonation. I will mostly like try a wine one of these days and maybe after I reach goal, I'll allow myself a semi-flat, hopefully not too carbonated champagne :)

My friend was sleeved 2 wks prior to me and she had a cocktail this weekend and said she was fine.. I guess for each it's own..someone from this site emailed me and said they waited 4 wks and told me to add a splenda and add a splash of Water in the alcohols used for the margaritas and mix w/fresh lime, lemon and oranges

2 months hmmmm that's not bad. I have a concert Sept 3 and we rented a party bus and I would love to enjoy one of the low cal cocktails I found online.

Hello, am need to the site, and I get sleeve on 9/7/12, and I just turn 40, on 8/19, and rented a party bus and had a blast, enjoy yourself

I have had occasional drinks since about six weeks out. I have even used a small amount of diet cola for a mixer with no issues as the fizz is gone pretty fast. No issues except a little burping - but nothing as glorious as I did before surgery anyway. Contrary to what I've heard, alcohol doesn't affect me any differently than it did pre-surgery. And it really goes good with my cigars. Yes ...I said it. Life is good.

We were sleeved the same day. I haven't tried any alcohol yet, but I know my dietitian warned us that we will be cheap drunks from now on =) So if you do drink - just make sure you do it safely and maybe try a little at home so you know how it hits you first!