Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm feeling a bit deflated and frustrated, which I'm sure some of you won't understand but if anyone in my life could understand it would be you guys.

So before surgery I ate horrible hours and large portions. Mainly take out but quality restaurants, I have a horrible work schedule and travel a lot.

After my surgery, I'm frustrated because I'm not feeling any of the things everyone says they are feeling. I barely feel the full feeling, nothing is making me sick, I basically skipped the puréed phase but was on liquid diet for 2.5 weeks. I did have obstructed bowels which landed me in the hospital for 4 days, only because I also had infection and low anemia. I am on soft foods now, which go down fine, been bumped to 1/3 a cup instead of 1/4. Again everything goes down fine.

I have lost 39 pounds, at 3 1/2 weeks out which is great, although I don't see it other than on the scale. I obviously can't eat a lot but I am hungry and feel a bit lost in the whole nutrition department. I just expected to have my body be more strict, like dumping if I got too full. My doctor told me he removed a stomach the size of a rugby ball and left a stomach the size of a medium banana and I'm wondering did he leave too big of a stomach? Why does this feel easy? I dont want it to be. I want to feel different and like I can't eat the crap I did when I had my normal stomach.

I want to be clear, I'm not over eating or pushing myself, but I don't like that I feel the same, just fuller quicker. Sigh, not even sure I'm explaining it right cause I don't really feel full either just don't want to push it. I also can't seem to get the eat for 20 minutes thing down, so easy to eat 1/3 of a cup in 5 minutes.

My fear is because I feel normal that passing up Burger King isn't going to be as hard soon. I already had a fish sandwich from mcdonalds minus the bread. Sad day for me when I did eat that. I wish my stomach would reject something!!

Wondering if anyone else had it this easy, and how they managed to stay focused and on the right path.

Nikki

I completely understand what your saying! I am going through the same. I haven't had that "full" feeling yet. And I keep wondering "did they remove an enough amount of my stomach?". I also want to feel that full feeling where my body tells me "that's it your done for this meal". I am thinking I haven't got that feeling because I am only in my puree stage. My biggest fear is stretching my stomach. Hang in there. Hopefully things will get better!

I do believe that after you reach a certain point you will be able to eat anything you want to, but in small portions. It will be up to you to determine what is good for you and what will set you back. It would be great if your sleeve would automatically reject anything that isn't good for you, but that's not how it works. Most of us still have cravings for pizza, burgers, fried chicken, etc, but we have to make the choice to avoid them as much as possible and use them only for "reward" days. I had a Dairy Queen soft serve ice cream cone when I got to 50 lbs lost and again at 75. Does this mean I've fallen off the wagon? I don't think so, and I'm not going to if I allow myself a sin food once in awhile. Don't stress because you crave these things, but make a concious effort to control it.

I also had the same worries you had at only 1-2 months out. I did not feel the "full" feeling until I was on real food at about the 3 month time frame. It took a while for the ghrelin (the hunger-stimulating peptide and hormone that is produced in the cells lining the stomach and pancreas) to flush out of my system. I don't have any negative responses to food -- I seem to be able to eat anything. However, I am 5 months out, averaging a slow but steady weightloss of 10+ lbs a month. Because of my pre-op weightloss, I am almost at the 100 lb loss mark and feel great. I am constantly surprised at how full I am after only a few bites of food. It WAS NOT like this in the beginning. I am happily pleased that my body craves nutrient-rich foods vs. the comfort foods I so enjoyed before this journey. Give yourself and your body time to adjust to this process. 3-1/2 weeks out is still VERY early int he process so please don't get discouraged. In a few months you will look back and see how far you have come and how in tune with your body that you are. You have had a wonderful weightloss thus far -- CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy it.

I definitely get the full feeling, and after a very small amount of food, but my issue is I never lost my hunger (and no, it is not acid, which is what everyone likes to blame it on). I am hungry again anywhere from 2-4 hours after eating, so I eat small frequent meals. As for what you can eat, the sleeve was never a promise to control WHAT you're eating, only how much. You have a fully functioning stomach and pyloric valce, so dumping is usually not an issue. It is still up to you to choose what you put in your mouth. And since it's such a small amount, it's best to make it count nutritionally.

Be careful and think about head hunger. Are you experiencing hunger pains where your body needs food or is it in your head. Also be careful with your food choices because the unhealthyy foods we ate in the past will make you gain wt. and not lose as fast. I'm sure you know this so it is just a matter of practicing healthy eating choices and mindful eating. Good luck to you.

I have some bad news for you ...

The sleeve is not going to keep you out of the Burger King drive through ... or McDonalds ... or Dairy Queen.

I know this is going to come across as harsh, but that is not my intention. I'm just a tell it like it is guy, so, I hope you can see that.

The sleeve is not a magic bullet to keep you from eating bad foods. It is ONLY a tool to help you eat less. I am a year out and I can eat anything, and do, in small portions. It is EXACTLY what my expectations were. The sleeve is not gastric bypass where dumping syndrome occurs with too much sugar. It is a restrictive procedure. The quality of the food is determined by you.

Early out, most people have swelling and sensitivity which gives them the impression their sleeve rejects foods, but this passes with time and the responsibility to make good food choices lies solely on the person. You are most likely a person whose swelling reduces quicker than most. This means you are going to have to transition into the mode of responsible eating a little sooner than most.

Sorry ... honeymoon is over. Time to get to work on making the best food choices for your body.

I'm feeling a bit deflated and frustrated' date=' which I'm sure some of you won't understand but if anyone in my life could understand it would be you guys.

So before surgery I ate horrible hours and large portions. Mainly take out but quality restaurants, I have a horrible work schedule and travel a lot.

After my surgery, I'm frustrated because I'm not feeling any of the things everyone says they are feeling. I barely feel the full feeling, nothing is making me sick, I basically skipped the puréed phase but was on liquid diet for 2.5 weeks. I did have obstructed bowels which landed me in the hospital for 4 days, only because I also had infection and low anemia. I am on soft foods now, which go down fine, been bumped to 1/3 a cup instead of 1/4. Again everything goes down fine.

I have lost 39 pounds, at 3 1/2 weeks out which is great, although I don't see it other than on the scale. I obviously can't eat a lot but I am hungry and feel a bit lost in the whole nutrition department. I just expected to have my body be more strict, like dumping if I got too full. My doctor told me he removed a stomach the size of a rugby ball and left a stomach the size of a medium banana and I'm wondering did he leave too big of a stomach? Why does this feel easy? I dont want it to be. I want to feel different and like I can't eat the crap I did when I had my normal stomach.

I want to be clear, I'm not over eating or pushing myself, but I don't like that I feel the same, just fuller quicker. Sigh, not even sure I'm explaining it right cause I don't really feel full either just don't want to push it. I also can't seem to get the eat for 20 minutes thing down, so easy to eat 1/3 of a cup in 5 minutes.

My fear is because I feel normal that passing up Burger King isn't going to be as hard soon. I already had a fish sandwich from mcdonalds minus the bread. Sad day for me when I did eat that. I wish my stomach would reject something!!

Wondering if anyone else had it this easy, and how they managed to stay focused and on the right path.

Nikki[/quote']

I'm sorry to hear that but I'm going though the same thing and I don't know wut to do I'm only 9 days out and no side effects and I'm scared it's not gonna work for me

Well said PDXman

What PDXman said and:

I didn't feel restriction until I got on solid foods. I also had an easy time of it, but I will get sick if I eat too much dense food, too fast. I don't like that full feeling so I eat very slowly.

I can eat anything. I just don't anymore. I get about 70-80 grams of Protein and less that 45 grams of carbs and 30 of fat. I don't eat processed foods or sugar or much of any grains except multi-grain flour and quinoa occasionally. I get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies. i learned ways to make pizza and ice cream using Protein powders and sugar free syrups. I even made SF lemon shortbread the other day.

On days I hike and bike I get to have a Peanut Butter sandwich on good bread because I need the carbs. Boy, this is a treat! Otherwise it's lean protein, nuts, seeds, nonfat greek yogurt, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, cheese, fruits and vegetables.

The other day I had sirloin and huge scallops with broccoli and protein ice cream. I'm on a mission to tell people that you don't have to deny yourself anything. I stay away from junk food and fast food because I can make better food myself. Today I'm going to marinate some wings in Tapatillo and bake them until crispy. Who needs Micky Dees?

I've never had it so good. Since we eat such small portions, buying quality is easier on the wallet, but I'm still cheap so I only buy on sale meat and get creative with it. My lunches are a mix of fresh and leftovers.

I have it a bit easy and can see how one can eat around the sleeve. We have to be extra careful. When we use it right; it works!

I am just out of the hospital and can definitely feel resistance when I am trying to get all these liquids down. I know it's not the same problem you are having, though. A question: Why did you skip the pureed food stage?

I am just out of the hospital and can definitely feel resistance when I am trying to get all these liquids down. I know it's not the same problem you are having' date=' though. A question: Why did you skip the pureed food stage?[/quote']

I ended up having liquid diet an extra week due to some complications. I shouldn't say I skipped puréed, I would chew chew chew until it was pureed, I still eat Soup, yogurt, Jello, soft Cereal. But i do incorporate foods that require chewing vs me puréeing in a machine, such as a yam or eggs.

How long does it take for the gherlin to leave the body I am 4 months tom. Is it gone just wondering. I know some of you are thinking here goes another stupid question. I hope I don't see this post on roll your eyes. :-P

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I have some bad news for you ...

The sleeve is not going to keep you out of the Burger King drive through ... or McDonalds ... or Dairy Queen.

I know this is going to come across as harsh, but that is not my intention. I'm just a tell it like it is guy, so, I hope you can see that.

The sleeve is not a magic bullet to keep you from eating bad foods. It is ONLY a tool to help you eat less. I am a year out and I can eat anything, and do, in small portions. It is EXACTLY what my expectations were. The sleeve is not gastric bypass where dumping syndrome occurs with too much sugar. It is a restrictive procedure. The quality of the food is determined by you.

Early out, most people have swelling and sensitivity which gives them the impression their sleeve rejects foods, but this passes with time and the responsibility to make good food choices lies solely on the person. You are most likely a person whose swelling reduces quicker than most. This means you are going to have to transition into the mode of responsible eating a little sooner than most.

Sorry ... honeymoon is over. Time to get to work on making the best food choices for your body.

I didn't think that was harsh at all pdx..I thought it was right on point. Really good response.

I had surgery 4/20. I could drink anything and pretty fast and never really felt full until 5 weeks out. That is when I was cleared for "real" food. I didn't think the surgery was working for me either because I didn't have the restriction that others seemed to. That is not the case now. I eat about 1 - 2 oz of meat per meal and I am done. I also stated 20 mg ppi twice a day. I didn't feel like I had acid but it has made a big diff. Now I don't really feel hunger (except head) any longer. Make good proteine food choiced