Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Nurse for 17 years, currently in the NICU. I'm having surgery on the 14th if July. Three days into my 2 week liquid diet. It hasn't been so bad worked the first two days had lots of distractions.

Currently also completing my BSN... Last night at class which is being held at my hospital everyone was eating... Usually only a few people bring dinner but literally everyone was eating. It was horrible. I did have a Protein Drink, but not the same. Just keep telling myself it's inly for two weeks

I have been reading all these posts with great interest. I was totally supported
during the initial post op few weeks when I felt horrible! I had surgery
on the 18th of February and for about 3 weeks- I was not myself. in the
ER twice for dehydration and UTI. then- like a fog clearing- I gradually
and more gradually felt better. I am now 4 months out and have lost 45
pounds. I am 60 years old this coming November and am so happy I finally chose
to have this procedure. I feel 100 times better-- more energy; less depressed
; no more heartburn or stress incontinence. I am a mother baby nurse
on a very busy unit and we run all day! Protein Bars, yogurt and turkey
jerky are my go to foods. I am thrilled that I can eat whatever I want but
am choosing much healthier options-- the other stuff just isn't as appealing
anymore. can't fit in much exercise yet but know I need to . I encourage
you all and appreciate the thoughtfulness you put into your words- it means
a lot-- whatever stage we are in.

Joanne

northern California

Hi all, I thought I found this group once before but then could not find it again until just now. I am 74 and a retired nurse after working for 35 years. I did mostly Labor and Delivery in 3 different hospitals, then finished up doing Hospital Nursing Supervisor.

I had my gastric sleeve surgery in February when I was till 73 and all the people I met were a lot younger. I feel great and have lost 61 from my highest weight. I had a very good surgical experience without any complications. I am still experimenting with what I can eat as sometimes I have diarrhea right after eating, salads seem to be one thing that causes it. It still amazes me that I can leave food on my plate or throw it away as I was raised to clean my plate which of course caused a lot of my being overweight most of my life. I really had a problem with Portion Control sweets and bread. Now sweets do not taste good to me at all.

Happy to have found this group again.

Yes! I am! I cannot wait! I'm getting sleeved at the end of November! I'm so excited! Today I got my medical clearance and have only 5 more meetings to go with my surgeon! Someone shoot me a Facebook message. Facebook.com/wilsonstephanie. ... This is a private decision for me, none of my friends know, but I would love to find an online WL pal that I can talk with! (Just remember it's private for me so don't post anything online; please!)

Stephanie- sent you a pm on Facebook.

Hi all. My surgery is july 22. I am so excited to get this journey underway. Has anyone else had problems getting the Protein Shakes down? For the most part they smell how tube feeding smells and I have a hard time drinking them. Open to suggestions to get over the visual in my head that I'm drinking tube feeding.

I hated Optifast, so I bought the special k vanilla Cappuccino, they were a lifesaver preop, post op I drank them for 4-5 days, after that my body would not tolerate them, unfortunately because I really liked them. Good luck to you!!

Hi all. My surgery is july 22. I am so excited to get this journey underway. Has anyone else had problems getting the Protein Shakes down? For the most part they smell how tube feeding smells and I have a hard time drinking them. Open to suggestions to get over the visual in my head that I'm drinking tube feeding.

What shakes were you put on? I start my Optifast liquid diet next week and am now dreading the thought of them smelling of promote w/ Fiber, LOL! :lol: That seems to be the tube feeding of choice for the dieticians on our unit (Coronary Intensive Care). Did you find a way to make them palatable, or did you suffer through? :wacko:

You can always try using the free syrups to flavor the shakes.

I am still trying some. I did find one its called max Protein from sei company. Not too bad but it would be nice to try one that doesn't cost 40 for a 1 pound tub. I just keep trying diff ones. My surgery is coming up. Hope to have found some good ones. The tf we use at work is jevity and it smells horrible. Lol and that is what these shakes remind me of.

The only thing you can do is try different ones until you find one you like. Everyone's tastes are a little different. Or you can make your own at home; there are a few different recipe books on Amazon for Protein Shakes. If you pre-make them in little ziploc bags they can be thrown together quickly in the morning. :)

I like the Unjury Protein. I mix it with skim milk, greek yogurt and put frozen fruit in with it to make it cold.

Hello. I am a CMA in Oregon. I am four days post surgery and am going back on Monday. I am blessed to work with an awesome group who are all super supportive. I am nervous, but it will be fine. I just have to remember to try to get my Protein in! Any advice?

Renee

That sucks!! Hope you feel better soon

Hello,

I am a LVN and currently a RN student. I am new to this site and I have tons of questions. I recently went to a Bariatric Seminar and most of my questions were answered however I still have sooo many more.

When will my official weigh in be? Will it be with the nutritionalist or with my PCP who will be referring me to see the Nutritionalist? Or will it be once I see the surgeon!? I am Soo confused lol.

I had my insurance verified at the seminar and I do know that I will have to see the nutritionalist 3 times once a month for 3 months. What does this appt generally consist of?

Please HELP.

Thanks In Advance~