Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Good luck Janetta I just did June 9th.

Hi I'm a nurse in the Twin Cities, starting my 35 the year. My surgery is coming up on Thursday, I am excited to be doing this but at the same time I am apprehensive about the first couple of weeks as I live alone with no close support. I feel like I am well-prepared for a normal post-op course but worry if some complication should arise. Am determined to weather any storm though and looking forward to reaching my goal weight and maintaining a healthy life balance.

Debradebra - my feelings exactly! It's kind of like worried about complications if I do it and if I don't- but want a new life like so many in this site- good luck Thursday and keep us posted.

I have been a nurse for 21 years and live in Houston. I had the sleeve 5/22/14 and new to this site. 23 days and going strong

Time1989-tell us how you have done. How long were you off? Do you work 12 hr shifts? Energy level? Nausea? Back to normal? Thanks for sharing :)

My husband is away at work most of the day, I prepped with shopping before hand. My energy was up 3-6 days out. There is a home visit schedule, guess for wound check. Make sure the person who drive you home can drop by for incidentals Debra, good luck

I'm 7 weeks out and still don't have my energy back. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to only 500 calories of fuel a day.

I get nausea periodically depending on what I eat. Some stuff that is on my surgeon's OK list, is not on my sleeve's OK list.

I work 12 hour shifts. Went back to work 3 weeks post op for 2 days, then ended up in the hospital with nausea/dehydration, and 3 more weeks of disability. I go back to work tomorrow, but still don't feel ready for 12 hours. I feel better, but my energy is still fairly low.

Hi. I'm a nurse in TN. I work for a major healthcare insurance company. I'm undergoing lapband to sleeve revision surgery on June 23rd and frankly I'm a nervous wreck. So glad I found this group.

Hi. I'm a nurse in TN. I work for a major healthcare insurance company. I'm undergoing lapband to sleeve revision surgery on June 23rd and frankly I'm a nervous wreck. So glad I found this group.

Good luck! BTW it's totally normal to be a nervous wreck.

Soon you'll be on the other side, joining us on the loser's bench. :)

Hi I am a RN from Ohio-I work for a large dialysis company and travel all over Ohio for my company. I have been a nurse for 25 years and worked in UK and US-where I currently live.

I had my sleeve done on 2nd June 2014-Plan on taking 4 weeks off due to the long distance driving

Cant say I have bounced back as quick as I would like but I do think that is a good thing for me as I am normally running around doing everything I shouldn't.

So pleased to see lots of other nurses on here!

I too am dreading how to manage fluids and foods once I go back to work

I suspect the consent is so detailed BECAUSE it is an "elective" procedure. Mine was only 3 pages, but scary nonetheless. They also wanted to be sure I understood that unlike the lap band or RNY, the sleeve is irreversible.

There are days that I think about that, how I can't ever go back, how my stomach will never be what it was, I can never just eat what I want, as much as I want, ever again and it plays with my head sometimes. But I feel good and already look better not quite a month out and I don't regret my decision. I've had zero complications and no trouble with my sleeve not liking anything I've eaten. I've adjusted to the new, strange sensations of my baby stomach and have learned to understand what they mean. My relationship with food is very different now (which is a good thing!) and it gets easier every day to pass up the foods I once loved--yes, loved. Food is now fuel for my body. Since I can eat so little, every bite counts and has to be something that's good for me.

Before surgery I figured I could have a little bite of something sweet after my meal now and again after surgery (I tended to crave a little sweet after dinner) but I was fooling myself. There is literally no room for even a single bite more after I finish my tiny portion of food. One bite too many will mean hours of discomfort, and so I have been forced to give up my sweets. I know I should have a long time ago, but it messes with your head when you no longer even have the choice to do it.

I'm doing well and people are already noticing my weight loss. I need to buy new scrub pants (I have a few "smaller" scrub tops I haven't been able to wear in awhile). I feel good, starting to get my energy and strength back thanks to my trainer at the gym. All I have been through has been worth it, and will seem like nothing when I reach goal.

Good luck to all of you. Keep us updated throughout your journey!

I am totally on same page as you! I too felt sad (unreal I know) that I could no longer eat what I wanted-almost 3 weeks out now and I don't feel the same loss as I felt the first week. I never expected to feel a loss so it made me very quiet and withdrawn. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a savory one-miss salty foods but not like I did. I just have to focus on my goal, improving my health and stamina.

I haven't done more than walk yet in my exercise routine but I haven't had the energy-will do more starting monday

I am totally on same page as you! I too felt sad (unreal I know) that I could no longer eat what I wanted-almost 3 weeks out now and I don't feel the same loss as I felt the first week. I never expected to feel a loss so it made me very quiet and withdrawn. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a savory one-miss salty foods but not like I did. I just have to focus on my goal, improving my health and stamina. I haven't done more than walk yet in my exercise routine but I haven't had the energy-will do more starting monday

The sense of "loss" diminishes for me each month. It's replaced with a sense of "I get completely satisfied quickly". I miss trigger foods every now and then, but the sense of loss is gone. 3 months out, I feel like I have power and freedom from hunger. Might not be this way for everyone I realize. But I'm thankful.

I am a cna for 18years ???? love my job! In the process of getting sleeved. I am in the PNW Washington I have to jump through many hoops but hopefully within 6 months I will be sleeved ????

I have my surgery date set: July 14th. My surgeon will request a full six weeks for FMLA... Told me if after 3 weeks I wanted to go back just let her know... There is absolutely no chance of that happening. My FMLA goes right into a planned vacation. I will be off work for 9 1/2 weeks. I am almost giddy about that. I haven't been off work for anything close to that long since I had my kids:). Nervous but very excited and after reading some of these posts I glad I will have quite awhile to adjust to all the changes I'm about to experience.

Reading some of the posts on here have helped immensely I am a RN who shared my surgery anxiety with a friend and was told my thoughts of dying were over the top and unjustified heartbreaking to say the least now I know I am not the only one to feel that way about wls