Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Do you have to be a nurse to get into this support group?

I'm not sure why you would want to be a part of this group of you're not a nurse. Are you maybe a nursing student?

I am a RN too but currently a SAHM. I am having the sleeve on May 27th. I am currently on the preop diet. I cannot believe that 3 months has gone by already since I went to the first information meeting. Time flies by.

I am a RN too but currently a SAHM. I am having the sleeve on May 27th. I am currently on the preop diet. I cannot believe that 3 months has gone by already since I went to the first information meeting. Time flies by.

The time does fly! I had my sleeve 3 weeks ago and sometimes it all feels like a dream and I can't believe it's over.

Life is different now for sure. Some things I expected and some I didn't, but I've had no complications or problems with my sleeve whatsoever and I'm happy. I've already lost 18 lb since surgery. Some lose more, but my BMI was only 38 to begin with (I had co-morbidities). I guess those with a higher BMI lose more initially, but I'm very happy with my results so far. Now my BMI is 35 and dropping. :) My doc expects me to lose 1-2 lb per week now, which is very doable. I am only eating about 600 calories a day. I eat when I get hungry (only 1/3 C at this point) and I'm full for the next 4 hours or so. No room in my sleeve for Snacks or sweets so that part has been pretty easy. I'm exercising to prevent my body from using my muscles as a protein/energy source, I saw a personal trainer and it was a huge help!

I wish you the very best of luck. Your date is coming soon! Be sure to post any questions you might have, and let us know how you're doing!

I know--I find myself thinking about potential complications like leaks and infection. I was talking to our pediatric surgeon and he told me to take a bath the night before with chlorahexadine and another one right before the surgery, which I will be doing.I am even taking my own PDI wipes for the room. My husband thinks I am crazy to be so concerned about infection.

My surgeon sent me home from my pre-op with the disinfecting soap with instructions to shower with it the night before and morning of surgery. You leave it on the abdomen for 2 minutes before rinsing off with plain Water and use no soaps, perfumes, deodorants, lotions, etc afterwards. I got IV Levoquin in surgery and again 24 hours later right before I went home. No fevers or issues with infection. :)

Will do dsmith_rn. My starting weight is 330 at 5'8" so I expect to lose a lot with a lot of hard work. I think I will have a hard time getting rid of all my outgrown clothes. I am so used to putting them in storage bins in the basement only to pull them out again when I regain the weight.

Stay at home mom

I'm going to my regular MD for my medical clearance today and so the final step will be to see the surgeon for a surgery date... I'm hoping to do the surgery the second week in July... I'm also in school besides working full time in a NICU so a date then fits better into my schedule. I did get my consent form in the mail a few days ago. . . I must say its about 9 pages long and possibly the most thorough consent I've ever read and reading it scared the sh$& out of me. There is even a form for my husband to sign stating that he is aware of what the surgery is, possible risks and outcomes associated with WLS. I just got him on board with the idea of doing something so drastic (his words) as surgery. If that consent freaked me out I know it's going to send him over the third rail ....

Getting so excited. I went to a support mtg last night and it's run by past sleeveers and RNY pts of my medical center. I learn a lot of info. Also, yesterday, I got my letter in the mail officially, stating my surgery date and time as well as preop day schedule.

I asked about a preop diet and they said it was not necessary. In Fact they said have a "last meal" if your choice the night before as long as you are NPO after midnight.

I still have to get my small plate and bowl,like a child's dish and baby spoon. I already have my new drinking cup that has no straw.

And taking pictures now too...

Vanesak8

I thought the same thing about the consent! I wonder if we are using the same dr or that is standard industry practice? I'm in California.. And I had to rewrite the statements in my own words to show I understood the procedure and total 9 pages!. I've had patients sign consent for surgery but nothing like this!

Not the same dr. I'm having surgery in a St. Louis. When I went to the seminar this physician gave I asked her about complications I think to the point of annoyance until she realized I was a nurse. Her actual surgical complications are low and the ones she has had were in patients older than me and with significant health problems. So realistically I know I have youth and health on my side but staring at a consent that says there is a 0.2 -3 % chance of death ( which I am pretty sure are national statistics) freaked me out. She has never had a patient die and even 3% is low but I would not want to die doing something elective.

I need to also say that early in my nursing career I worked at the biggest and one of the most respected hospital in St. Louis and I worked in the ICU and we would get WLS patients from other smaller hospitals. These patients would be so sick and some did not make it because of their post surgical complications. I was much thinner then but still overweight. I would always think no matter I big I got I'd never have WLS.

Vanessak8

Haha I thought the same thing about WLS earlier in life. I'm 51 yr with no medical issues. It sounds like following directions to the T is important- but I'm sure you know sometimes stuff just happens. But on the weight track I'm on now without WLS stuff will happen it's just a matter of time.

I suspect the consent is so detailed BECAUSE it is an "elective" procedure. Mine was only 3 pages, but scary nonetheless. They also wanted to be sure I understood that unlike the lap band or RNY, the sleeve is irreversible.

There are days that I think about that, how I can't ever go back, how my stomach will never be what it was, I can never just eat what I want, as much as I want, ever again and it plays with my head sometimes. But I feel good and already look better not quite a month out and I don't regret my decision. I've had zero complications and no trouble with my sleeve not liking anything I've eaten. I've adjusted to the new, strange sensations of my baby stomach and have learned to understand what they mean. My relationship with food is very different now (which is a good thing!) and it gets easier every day to pass up the foods I once loved--yes, loved. Food is now fuel for my body. Since I can eat so little, every bite counts and has to be something that's good for me.

Before surgery I figured I could have a little bite of something sweet after my meal now and again after surgery (I tended to crave a little sweet after dinner) but I was fooling myself. There is literally no room for even a single bite more after I finish my tiny portion of food. One bite too many will mean hours of discomfort, and so I have been forced to give up my sweets. I know I should have a long time ago, but it messes with your head when you no longer even have the choice to do it.

I'm doing well and people are already noticing my weight loss. I need to buy new scrub pants (I have a few "smaller" scrub tops I haven't been able to wear in awhile). I feel good, starting to get my energy and strength back thanks to my trainer at the gym. All I have been through has been worth it, and will seem like nothing when I reach goal.

Good luck to all of you. Keep us updated throughout your journey!

I am an RN in San Antonio Texas and will be sleeved 6/12 th. I am beyond excited. I have fought this battle ling and hard for 15 years. I am so looking forward to having a new tool to work with.