Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Happy birthday to you.. What a way to start the new you! Families have to realize that you changed to live! In time you may be able to have say sugar free pudding as a birthday cake ..they should be happy that you will now have more birthdays to celebrate! Congratulations again!

Thanks!

Next year I plan on making a small Protein "cake" with Protein ice cream for my birthday. recipes are on my favorite bariatric blog/food website. If you haven't seen it, I highly encourage you to check it out! The author had a RNY several years ago, but her tips and recipes have been inspiring me for years as I have followed her while preparing myself for this big step. www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Had a sleeve and hiatal hernia repair on the 29th and today is the first day I felt like I could drink more than 15 ml at a time! I got a whole Protein Shake down and I sure feel better today! I started puréed foods today too. Just a few bites but it was enough to make me feel normal again! Going back to work on Wednesday. I actually feel like I could go back tomorrow but I'm going to give myself a couple more days to get used to eating and drinking. And try to build up my walking a bit more. ;-) still have ABD pain with deep breathing. It's actually increased a bit but feels more like muscle soreness. Hope all of you are doing well!

Had a sleeve and hiatal hernia repair on the 29th and today is the first day I felt like I could drink more than 15 ml at a time! I got a whole Protein shake down and I sure feel better today! I started puréed foods today too. Just a few bites but it was enough to make me feel normal again! Going back to work on Wednesday. I actually feel like I could go back tomorrow but I'm going to give myself a couple more days to get used to eating and drinking. And try to build up my walking a bit more. ;-) still have ABD pain with deep breathing. It's actually increased a bit but feels more like muscle soreness. Hope all of you are doing well!

It's great to hear you're doing well! I had those same sensations at a week out. I feel better and better each day, to the point I feel pretty "normal" now at 11 days out.

We had a very busy day yesterday visiting family and then had a BBQ at our place, we talked and laughed until my sides hurt! When it was time to eat I just took a scoop of the Beans that had been cooking all day, let them cool a little, then pureed them in my Magic Bullet and ate them with everyone else. They were tasty! I was tired at the end of the day, but it felt good to go back to "almost normal." :)

April 2014 Sleevers (specifically April 30)

It has been one wk today for me. Nurses need TLC too. So I encourage everyone to take it easy and do what is needed to heal, get plenty of sleep and manage your pain when / if there is any.

An old college friend of mine called; when I heard her voice I started to cry. I wondered how would I explain that. Since we have always confided in each other I decided I would just continue tradition. She was so happy and proud of me and told me of a mutual friend who had the sleeve and is six years out. She is still successful. I was so happy to hear that news. She gave me such encouragement and told me how brave I am. It was just what I needed to spur me on.

At 7 days post op I am able to drink more fluids each day; and am getting 40-60 gms of Protein in daily. It's not such a chore anymore. I take liquid PPI x2 day and have learned that Tomato Soup even with double milk is not on my food list at least for now. I have been blessed to not have much nausea and all of the discomfort that I some of you have had to endure. Please be encouraged and hang in there, it will be worth it all very soon as we see wt loss.

So for me its on to full liquids for 2 more wks, then if ready I will be able to start mushy foods. How are the other April 2014 Sleevers? Are you all ok?

I am 13 days out and feeling great!

Being able to move to full liquids was a great improvement, but I will be happy to move on to purees tomorrow. I'm going to make a pot of homemade refried Beans (Yum!) and top some with a little salsa and a small dollop of FF greek yogurt for my first "meal." I will also do some ricotta topped with fresh Tomato sauce and mozzarella in the oven, and I have some other ideas too. I refuse to let my "mushy stage" be boring. :)

Life is too short, and sleeve space is at a premium. What I put in my mouth has to be "sleeve-worthy." ;-)

Anyway I'm feeling great, almost back to normal, but taking 1 more week before returning to work to be sure my energy reserves are up. The only time I get nauseas is after I take my Vitamins and it's pretty mild. No pain unless I sneeze or move the wrong way. Yesterday I wore my "small jeans," you know, the ones that kinda fit but they're snug and a little hard to button? Well they're VERY loose now, by next week I won't be able to wear them at all. I'm amazed. And my face looks different to me. Narrower, and my cheekbones are a little more prominent! I think my face is beautiful! So weird. Also I can see the bones on my wrists sticking out! How many years has it been since I saw them? I forgot they were even there!

I'm going to enjoy this ride, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to. .....

Today is one month since surgery!! I am doing well I think. I am able to get 60 to 80 gr of Protein daily and usually able to get my liquid in. I am on soft foods and ready to start adding some raw vegs. It seem like my weight has hit a stall with week but am trying to increase my walking. good luck to all the others in the group.

Went back to work yesterday and it went very well! Today I am exhausted and had tons of gas pains. I seem to be swallowing a bunch of air when I drink. Just got home and I'm lying on the couch chilling out. Having a hard time getting my Water in. Yesterday I drank about 40 oz. today so far is only 20-25. Not sure how to get more down than that.

New to this site- Sleeve scheduled for July 17- nervous but I know it's the best thing for me. I'm an RN and wondering how much time off I should take - MD said I'd be better after a week but 12 hour shifts are pretty tough on busy floor. Also really don't want to go into a lot of details with coworkers - since they are in the health field everyone will have an opinion :) I guess I want support not criticism and don't think I can count in them for that. Really shouldn't matter but in a weird way it does?? Thanks for listening!

New to this site- Sleeve scheduled for July 17- nervous but I know it's the best thing for me. I'm an RN and wondering how much time off I should take - MD said I'd be better after a week but 12 hour shifts are pretty tough on busy floor. Also really don't want to go into a lot of details with coworkers - since they are in the health field everyone will have an opinion :) I guess I want support not criticism and don't think I can count in them for that. Really shouldn't matter but in a weird way it does?? Thanks for listening!

I didn't tell my coworkers either, just my supervisor. It's my own business and I don't need negatives from people who don't understand.

This is NOT the "easy way out." The easy way would be if they could invent a surgery that could cure head hunger and allow you to eat whatever you want, however much you want, not exercise, and still lose weight. No such luck!

I am 2 weeks post op now and I feel as if I could probably do 12 hours, but I'm taking another week (3 weeks total). My doc said 2 weeks is sufficient but was willing to give me that extra week at my request and I'm glad because I just barely started puréed foods today. I am still learning about my new baby stomach and I don't want to have any "incidents" at work!

Welcome to the site and to this thread. Good luck, and keep in touch! You're welcome to send me a private message if you like. :)

My name is Vanessa. I have been a nurse for 17 years. I currently work in the Neonatal Intensive care Unit and have for a little over 10 years. I am from the St. Louis area and I just received my approval letter for the gastric sleeve procedure. I was excited by the possibilities when do the pre-surgery stuff and now I am nervous as all get out. Yikes!!!!

Hello and welcome - I hear you!

Ever since I got my date I've been second guessing and questioning my decision. I

Guess as nurses we know the things that can go wrong with WLS and with obesity. Kind of stuck but I refuse to be stuck the way I am.

I just completed all the preop stuff and they just sent my request for approval on Friday May 9. I was expecting to not know anything for a few weeks and the RN coordinator called me today and said that the insurance sent the approval letter. I just thought I would have more time to prepare myself and my family.

I know--I find myself thinking about potential complications like leaks and infection. I was talking to our pediatric surgeon and he told me to take a bath the night before with chlorahexadine and another one right before the surgery, which I will be doing.I am even taking my own PDI wipes for the room. My husband thinks I am crazy to be so concerned about infection.

Oh I know I've read a lot of life experiences on this site a lot of great ones that are soooo inspiring but then every so often there is a

Tough story where it didn't go so well- I have to be able to get back to work after surgery.

I'm 9 weeks post tomorrow. I was gung ho all along but the month before surgery, I was downright anxious. I imagine it's normal to get that way, especially for nurses. It was weird being on the other side of the bed. I had my surg at a different hospital. The care was good but my night shift nurse was a slug. I don't think a single soul put a stethoscope to my chest. The day shift was a new grad who was cheerful and thorough. There wasnt any major faux pas with nights but I wasn't impressed. Just weird being a patient. Probably a good thing to give us perspective in our own practice. But those early days/first week, it's just a blur now. It goes quickly. It's all gonna be great! Think positive. Have faith. And keep us posted!