Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this sounds weird but I am terrified if throwing up when I go back to work after I have surgery, which will be in September, I have a lot of appointments lined up in August. If you are sick , would it be right after you have eaten or can you be sick at anytime. I just had dentures in March and the toilets where I work flush automatically and I am worried I will lose my teeth. There are no trash cans because my company has gone green and have hand dryers. Should I bring a throw up bag with me ? Also I am not near the bathroom and don't want to be sick before I can get there .

In my experience, I have only thrown up twice. In both cases, it was when I tried something new, ate too much and ate too fast. In both cases, I had plenty of warning before it happened. The key for work is to plan ahead with your food. Bring only those things that you have tolerated well while in the privacy of your home. Don't go out to lunch and try something new. If you are still concerned, the hospital had some really cool disposable bags for that purpose. Maybe see if you can get a few to keep in your desk or purse.

Why will you throw up?

People mostly only throw up when they eat too much.

Some,like me have what I call "pukey days". I have struggled with food (even after eating the tiniest amount coming back up but I had the band for 7 years and it happens just like that.I did some research and found it has something to do with the stimach being cut not at 90 degrees but at 120 to 140) HOWEVER,I know very quickly when I will have a "pukey day" and then I take no more than 2 bites at a time.On days like that I drink shakes and have no more than a few bites of food 3 times a day.

Vomiting is for most (and I know some people have big problems with this but they have it as a real complication and need meds for it) quite avoidable and not something you should concern yourself with right now.

For most people with no complications eating very small managable portions at all times is the key!

Good luck with your surgery!

xxo

Ps.if a throw up bag will make you feel better,take one...lol

I would only eat things that you are sure you can handle when you get started back at work. My experience is with (like Tracey said) new things, eating too fast, or not knowing when to stop eating. It's a difficult balance for some of us to find. It's no fun to be sick at work.

Good Luck!

I can only speak for myself but if I eat slowly I'm ok. I have a few trigger foods which turn my stomach upside down....obviously I avoid those no matter where I am! I think for most of us, if we vomit, we can pinpoint why. Take safe foods with you and eat at a turtle's pace and you should be ok ;-)

After the first two months I had the issue of spitting up if I accidently took more bites than I should or if I ate something that my sleeve wouldn't take so I always kept a lidded disposable coffee cup in my desk just in case, I work in a cubicle so no-one noticed, it sounds gross but after your sleeved sometimes you forget you can't eat the same things or amounts like you used to. Some foods go down easy some came back up (for me) depending on what it was.

First, a few logistics ;)

• I'm assuming your auto flush toilets work with the digital motion detector "eye"? (standard for autoflush toilets) If so, just cover up the eye. You can do it with a seat liner, a wad of toilet paper, paper towel - I've even taken off my shirt and used it (DD will refuse to use autoflush toilets unless the eye is covered - she's scared of the flushing sound). If none of this is available to you, just bring a post-it with you and stick it over the eye. Leave a pad of post-its in the bathroom if you can, or carry some in your pocket.
  • No trash cans in the women's bathroom? Ask for one - it's a reasonable accomodation and I can't imagine any HR department that would ay no. I mean - what are you girls supposed to do with your feminie hygiene products if there aren't any trash cans? Every possible option generates some kind of trash.

Now for the not-so logistic...

I've never thrown up with the sleeve. (I've puked twice in the last 24 years - it's just something I really don't do).

Don't pack your sleeve, and when you start adding new foods in, do it one at a time so that if something does bother you, you can identify it.

I don't know how it is with the sleeve, but I had a lapband for 6 years and you have to bring things up with it. Almost guaranteed. But it's not puke/vomit - that's a misnomer. It's mostly thick saliva, and maybe a few bits of food. Unless something's wrong. :) I don't know if the sleeve is similar, but with the band you know before it's going to happen, and you have some control over when it happens. E.g. I had food get stuck at a restaurant and irped there & thought all was OK, but realized about 5 minutes into our 45 minute car ride that I wasn't done. But I didn't want to have my girlfriend pull over on the interstate. So I just "held" it the rest of the way. It wasn't comfortable, but that's what I mean by you can control it somewhat.

I know this sounds weird but I am terrified if throwing up when I go back to work after I have surgery, which will be in September, I have a lot of appointments lined up in August. If you are sick , would it be right after you have eaten or can you be sick at anytime. I just had dentures in March and the toilets where I work flush automatically and I am worried I will lose my teeth. There are no trash cans because my company has gone green and have hand dryers. Should I bring a throw up bag with me ? Also I am not near the bathroom and don't want to be sick before I can get there .

I have only thrown up once since surgery and it was because I had the flu. It was horrible!

I hope you don't have an issue with vomiting after eating. I haven't heard much about that. Please don't worry, just be careful.

Wheetsin gives you some EXCELLENT suggestions above. I will also chime in with the "just eat what you're used to, in small quantities" voices--you can always grab a few bites of something later on if you're still hungry. I was also scared about being sick at work--I'm a university teacher, and the closest bathroom is way down the hall, and it's not a faculty restroom--I definitely didn't want to be throwing up in a stall next to my students!! So my advice is just take it easy--don't eat new foods at work, and don't eat too much or too fast. You'll be fine. You might experiment with eating two or three mini-meals throughout the morning instead of one bigger lunchtime meal--use the extra time at your lunch break to get up and walk around or visit with friends or whatever. I keep Protein bars at my desk and typically a bite or two every so often can tide me through a particularly stressful or busy day when I think maybe eating a "regular" lunch might not be a good idea.

You should be just fine. :-) Slow and familiar is the key.

I have only gotten sick 1 time and that was the day after surgery. I wouldn't let that be a big worry for you. *Most* of the time, vomitting isn't a problem for sleevers.

Just take it easy. Eat slowly and stop at the first sign of being full (you will learn to recognize this quickly).

I do not have full dentures but I have a piece that connects to a prosthesis that used to be my cheek, and I understand your worries - I am getting it replaced with a piece that locks in with posts, and I have been told they can do this with dentures too - AND it reduces your dependency on the adhesives (which I have to use) - you dont want to swallow that on your tummy!!!

Consider inquiring about this.

An essentials kit you want to keep, in my opinion:

You have to be so extremely proactive about oral hygeine now. that protien will stick to surfaces and you can develop bacterial infections, cycts, nodes and fungal infections...I have experienced only one and it was enough. OUCH.

Alcohol based mouthwash OR yes, VODKA - I rinse my nouth out with it once a day...

soft washcloth and toothpaste - I seriously think toothpaste on a rag after brushing is very good for your upper and lower palette - I was introduced to this in rehab therapy after the incident that caused me to need said replacement.

If you are worried about retrieving your dentures from the toilet - which I would be much more than flushing them...or getting your face unnecessarily close to a public stall - get a few paperbags and some uncented trash bag liners for small trash cans and prep soem "flight bags" the paperbag keeps it discreet if you need it.

Good luck if you think I might can help you further message me, I have had some experience with this.