Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Belated 3 Month Post - 60 Lbs Gone! Pics Included...

Hi All,

I know how much I enjoy photo updates of others so I try to oblige as well. Unfortunately I'm a little late... sorry about that!

Here's my info:

Starting/surgery weight: 241 (I was probably higher in the attached before pictures... I had lost a bit before I started the WLS journey... so I would guess at least 250)

Starting sizes: 18-20 pants, XXL tops, 40D bra.

Current weight: 181-183 (It's that time of the month so I'm not sure where I'm gonna land, heh.)

Current sizes: 12-14 pants, L tops, 36C/D bra.

1st Goal: Get to under 200

2nd Goal: Weigh less than my husband (about 190)

3rd Goal: Get to single digit pant size (8-9)

4th Goal: Weigh 140lbs, the weight I was when I got pregnant with my first child.

Final Goal: Not sure... probably 120-130.

Height: 5'1

Surgery Date: 4/19/12

Things have been going great. I've started bike riding again, which felt amazing. When I was in high school (about 8 years ago) I used to bike a 13 mile trail 5x weekly. I have SO much more energy at work and at home. My increased confidence has made me more aware of what I want and what I deserve out of life. People treat me differently, which offended me at first but I think it's my personality that has really inspired the different behaviors, not my weight loss. At least that's what I choose to believe.

And I've said in other posts that if I can do this, anyone can. That is the truth without question. I had no pre-op diet save a 24 hour fasting before surgery. I have a very, very loose post-op diet compared to some. I started soft solids 8 days post-op, and today I can eat anything in very small portions. I stall when I don't get enough calories in. I also just stall sometimes, no matter what I do. It's ok, I've learned to accept it. I got into the unfortunate habit of weighing myself daily and I need to get out of that, because when I see the occasional 1-2lb gain I flip out. Even though I know it will come off within the next day or two, usually plus some. The weight WILL come off. It's a matter of patience and healthy choices, not dieting. I'm a firm believer.

I'll also add for anyone pre-op that, at least in my experience, now that my intake is very limited, my body CRAVES healthy food more than any other time in my life, even when I was very athletic. My restriction is also, oddly enough, much more forgiving with fruits and vegetables. I can eat as much as anyone else with regard to those as long as I pace myself. I ate an entire plate of raw broccoli, cauliflower, celery and carrots last week at work. I know some surgeons caution away from fibrous veggies like that but mine was accepting and encouraging of it from about month 2 so I incorporate it as often as possible. I haven't craved a cheeseburger since I had surgery, and I was a Five Guys fanatic pre-op. My one guilty pleasure is pizza, but even that is very rare. Food like that just doesn't sit well anymore and when eating like that is so much of a chore, you just choose something else instead, most of the time. Seriously, when I eat crap, I can FEEL the energy my body spends processing it. It is literally exhausting for me.

Anyway, I hope that helps and gives everyone some hope if you are new to the experience or are recently post-op and feeling hopeless.

Here are some pics!

(obviously you can see which two are Before pics... the side:side in the grey sweatshirt is my 40lbs gone comparison. The purple hoodie is about 60lbs gone, or where I'm at today!)

Have an amazing day everyone, thanks for all the continued support!!

Sarah

post-20898-13813659378106_thumb.jpg

post-20898-13813659378318_thumb.jpg

post-20898-13813659378713_thumb.jpg

post-20898-1381365937906_thumb.jpg

post-20898-13813659379709_thumb.jpg

post-20898-1381365938039_thumb.jpg

Great post and great results! You are rockin' your sleeve!!!

You look great !! ^_^ You're already about halfway to meeting all your goals. It must feel awesome that you're down below hubby now =)

Wow! You look great!

You look great !! ^_^ You're already about halfway to meeting all your goals. It must feel awesome that you're down below hubby now =)

Thank you so much!! Yes it's pretty exciting. He is one of those guys who has a hard time (well, HAD a hard time until he turned 30, hehe) keeping weight on and could easily drop 10lbs in a week if he wanted to, so we had a *cough*notso*cough* friendly competition with losses and he kept me within a pound of him for quite some time, but I've taken quite a lead now and I doubt he has the willpower to catch up ;-)

I've spent a lot of time looking at My Body Gallery and I realize goals 3 & 4 may end up being transposed, so we'll see. I've dropped a lot of weight but my backside is still rather huge :-P

Wow! You look great!

Thank you!! I appreciate the compliment :) :)

You look AMAZING and thank you so much for sharing your story. I think it's really easy to get sucked into these boards (I think I overdid it the past few weeks), but reading the success stories and seeing such amazing and inspirational photos are what calms me and makes me think that I can do this too.

Out of curiosity - you had no pre op diet? No 1-2 weeks of liquid diet? How come?

Thanks again!

Nice!

You look AMAZING and thank you so much for sharing your story. I think it's really easy to get sucked into these boards (I think I overdid it the past few weeks), but reading the success stories and seeing such amazing and inspirational photos are what calms me and makes me think that I can do this too.

Out of curiosity - you had no pre op diet? No 1-2 weeks of liquid diet? How come?

Thanks again!

So I'll just tell you what my surgeon told me - absolutely nothing against those who require a liquid diet from their patients. My surgeon said it's unnecessary and that it's too stressful and hard on the body than for the results it delivers. He also discourages Protein supplements because he believes they are too high in sugar and/or artificial sweetners. I realize he's very unusual compared to a lot of surgeons here, specifically the ones in Mexico. He did encourage high Proteins and low carbs to shrink the liver, but he still put starch into my diet. For the record, my surgeon is the director of the surgery/trauma program, as well as a professor at the medical college of WI. I had surgery at an amazing, state of the art hospital and on his staff were his NP's, a dietician, a psychiatrist, and others that I worked with for about 6 months. His program is very reputable. So I am certain that there is no right or wrong, it's just about how your surgeon operates...no pun intended!

Wow. You look great and your post really inspires me. I'm scheduled for surgery on August 24th at Johns Hopkins and I hope I have as much success as you. Also, my surgeon only requires the liquid fast the day before as well. Since I figure I'll be pretty tired of shakes after a couple weeks anyway, this was welcome news.

Please keep posting updates.