Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery Monday going from a lapband to the sleeve. I have to say this surgery was much easier than the band which I am greatful for but I am having a major pain on my side. It is almost under my rib cage. Not sure if it is trapped gas or what but it hurts. I have tried walking, patting my chest and side where it hurts, and gas x but no relief. It hurs most when I stand up and when I breath too deeply. Just wondering if anyone else may have had a similiar experience??

Do you still have a drain? Most of my pain was caused because of the drain. The drain cord was so long and pushed up against my diaphragm. I had it taken out 9 days after surgery and I could finally breathe.

If not it's most likely gas. Were you given the incentive spirometer? If you were, use it as often as you can and try to hold something against your tummy and cough sometimes that helps too.

I am 14 days post op and I am experiencing something similar to menstrual cramping

I don't have a drain and I have been using my spirometer. I haven't tried the coughing thing so I guess I will give that a whirl and if not will be calling the doc in the am. Thanks for the advice.

I am 14 days post op and I am experiencing something similar to menstrual cramping

Gosh I hadn't heard of that before. I sure hope it goes away for you real fast I am sure it is no fun.

U may want to call Ur physicians office it could be a blood cloth just be sure Ur fine ...my dr office when I had my class I was told if I have any kind of pain call immediately because it could be a blood cloth anywhere in Ur body act like Ur hypercongriact.... U can never be too safe when it comes to these things....

If it doesn't get better or gets worse after talking to your dr go to the er. One major thing I've learned, don't try to push through pain you can fix easily. Right side could be normal, liver, gall bladder, incisions... There some sort of chest wall somethin or other too but idk much about it.

Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else has a similar issue. I spoke with the nurse at the doctors today who informed me my pain is common. She says this is where the doctor does the majority of the work ie, stomach removal, liver biopsy, port removal. She said that muscle damage is common and he uses a mesh in that area. She said the pain is common and is usually under the rib cage, above the biggest incision on the left and often times radiates to the back. She said if for whatever reason it becomes hot to the touch, fever occurs, or the incision starts oozing then I need to come in asap. She said it is common to last in some patients as far out as 6 weeks after surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches