Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden Hopelessness.......

I have been told that going into the surgery losing weight will help shrink the liver also. Different plans for different doctors =)

But isn't that more about the liquid phase right before the surgery? Doesn't really make much sense to me to make you lose now. hmmmmmm.

What makes your liver bigger is when it has to process carbs. Eating low carb consistently for a period of time will shrink your liver which is accomplished by most of us on our preop diet right before surgery. Some do a total liquid preop diet and some, like me, got limited high Protein, low carb foods along with Protein shakes.

I am in the final couple of appointments then wait to see if I'm approved, so I really understand that nervousness about being approved. I had to do 3 months of classes and I lost like a pound! I did not really understand yet what was expected of me and what exactly I needed to eat and focus on. About two weeks ago I really started following some sleevers on YouTube and reading some books and it just clicked. I'm using myfitnesspal.com to track all of my food, calories and Protein, my focus is getting it 70 or so g of protein, eating protein first, fruits and veggies next and chewing slowly and I have lost 5 lbs in a week, so hang in there you can do it!

Hello everyone. I too have struggled with my "required weightloss". My surgeon is requiring a minimum weight loss of 20 lbs for me. I was only two pounds away and then put five pounds back on! I have until August 14th to lose the rest of the weight or my surger will be cancelled. This is sooo frustrating to have to lose weight before weight loss surgery! I understand the reasons, it's just frustrating.

Hello everyone. I too have struggled with my "required weightloss". My surgeon is requiring a minimum weight loss of 20 lbs for me. I was only two pounds away and then put five pounds back on! I have until August 14th to lose the rest of the weight or my surger will be cancelled. This is sooo frustrating to have to lose weight before weight loss surgery! I understand the reasons, it's just frustrating.

Between now and the 14th you can lose 5, definitely! Have you tried putting reasons you wanna lose up on your fridge? Or maybe print out a picture of your ticker and add on your 5 pound goal weight so you are reminded every single time how close you are. You can do it!! =)

I gained during the diet as well. But the last 1.5 week while my paperwork was in limbo, i started Atkins. I dunno why but it's so much easier this time around. I have already lost 10lbs. I knowing not for everyone but we have to eat more Protein right? I started Drinking Water. Occasionally i may drink half cup chocolate almond milk. Mostly eat meat some veggies. Breyers makes low carb fudge pops. 9 grams per pop. The other day i had a double meat whopper no bun. I'm not perfect but it's working for me. I also cut out sweets over a month ago. Besides the mentioned and sugar free pudding. I just started glucerna snack bars. But their kinda gritty and have 12 carbs per bar. I wish u all the luck and will be praying for u. ;)

I have a lower back problem and part of my notes say exercise is not really a option for several months, and even then my back will take a lot more building up and checking before I can do anything crazy hardcore.

I can’t even take my pain meds to take me from a constant 9 of pain down a bit so all my doc said to do was walk around my house.

I am allowed to go swimming which I did this week my back did start to hurt a lot even in the Water but I just tread water fast for my legs or held on to the side and kicked my legs.

If they know beforehand that its not as easy because of pre existing medical issues they won’t expect you to be hitting the gym they should tell you what you can do for you.

Its not hopeless hun you just have to adjust things to work for what you need.

I have been told that going into the surgery losing weight will help shrink the liver also. Different plans for different doctors =)

My liver was still big. The doctor did the surgery.

"GOD IS WORKING ON YOUR BEHALF ,SO Keep having faith."<br />Your Sleeve Buddy <br />Zeta<br />

I will say after reading all the post on here I have really and truly got discouraged...I have 2 months to go before I have my paperwork sent in to have my surgery...I am now hoping I have took all the correct steps...I dont wanna have to start all the way over again 6 months is a long time...I have Fluid on my brain I have been this way since 06 when I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri...my weight is keeping this fluid on my body...I dont wanna go blind again omg that is one of the worst feelings in this world...I just wanna get the weight off so that I can move on with my life....GOD IS IN CONTROL IT WILL ALL WORK ITSELF OUT!!!

Between now and the 14th you can lose 5, definitely! Have you tried putting reasons you wanna lose up on your fridge? Or maybe print out a picture of your ticker and add on your 5 pound goal weight so you are reminded every single time how close you are. You can do it!! =)

Thank you for the vote of confidence Izuri. That's a great idea about the "fridge list". Thanks.

justine. the more weight loss the better and easier the surgery. the liver sits on top of the stomach if it is large there are risk that it could be nicked. plus i want my bmi lower it was 60

Girl when I started my six month with nutritionist I was 214 lbs. every month I went I had 3 or 4 l s more . By the end of six month I was 226 . Now I started my Protein diet one week ago and I'm now 217 . My date it's 8/17 . I think all those six months I was ansious . U can doit ..

I understand that and it make sense of course. But if you're 400 pounds or 200 pounds your liver is fatty. My understanding is that the shrinkage occurs in the preop diet right before. That's all- I guess I was just trying to understand as it seems like a lot of stress. So how are you doing? Any more movement on the scale?

Hi! This is my first time here. My surgery is Monday Aug 6th! I am also 36 with no co morbidities except GERD. I also have auto immune problems which cause extreme fatigue. If it is any help I think that is a major reason for my approval. My BMI is at 40 too. If I learned anything from this process it is compliance compliance compliance! I did every single thing my pcp asked right to the letter! I had been told for years my ins didn't cover bariatrics, but I just kept looking until I found someone to help. Banner gateway bariatics in Mesa AZ HAS BEEN GREAT! Find a team who can help and support you through the ins process. Good luck to you!