Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Kim And Forest Park Medical Center

Thanks Amy! Dr. Nicholson is another surgeon I am considering. Would you happen to know how many patients he performs surgery on per day? 13 patients seems excessive to me.

13 a day is his number too. The same two nurses that told me how he is always on time also told me how awesome he is. One even went on to say that, in her opinion, he is the best surgeon that works put of there. Again, I don't know about Dr. Kim, but Dr. Nicholson provides you a hotel room. If you have surgery at Forest Park, you would have surgery with him on Tuesday. A girl I've now become friends with came from out of town. She arrived on Sunday to the hotel. She checked out of the hotel and had surgery Tuesday. She spent Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the hospital Nd checked back on the hotel Thursday. She had a follow up the next day and was cleared to go home. The hotel was part of the cash pay price of $12,000.00. The other thing is if you are paying cash, the cash price includes all follow up visits for life. Most doctors only include up to a year at most in the cash price.

Good luck as you make your decision. If you'd like to talk more about Dr. Nick, send me a pm and I'll give you my cell number. I'd be glad to tell you more.

As for not seeing Dr. Kim every time I went in' date=' I have no problem with that. I realize that his services are in great demand, but I feel confident he will be there if need arise. He has deliberately surrounded himself with a highly trained staff. Every interaction I've had with all of them has been very professional.[/quote']

It's exactly like that with Dr. Nicholson and my feelings are exactly like yours. I think it may be the norm around this area.

13 a day is his number too. The same two nurses that told me how he is always on time also told me how awesome he is. One even went on to say that, in her opinion, he is the best surgeon that works put of there. Again, I don't know about Dr. Kim, but Dr. Nicholson provides you a hotel room. If you have surgery at Forest Park, you would have surgery with him on Tuesday. A girl I've now become friends with came from out of town. She arrived on Sunday to the hotel. She checked out of the hotel and had surgery Tuesday. She spent Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the hospital Nd checked back on the hotel Thursday. She had a follow up the next day and was cleared to go home. The hotel was part of the cash pay price of $12,000.00. The other thing is if you are paying cash, the cash price includes all follow up visits for life. Most doctors only include up to a year at most in the cash price.

Good luck as you make your decision. If you'd like to talk more about Dr. Nick, send me a pm and I'll give you my cell number. I'd be glad to tell you more.

Thank you!!

Hey I'm going thru Dr. Kim Aug 6th, let me know how everything goes, please.

KayKay,

I'm going to be sleeved by Dr. Kim on August 6th as well. Just started my liquids today. Only 13 more days to go!

I don't know about the hotel stays either as I am local to the area. I did not have a catheter or a drain with Dr. Kim. His nurse said that because the surgery is not very long, they typically do not have to put in a catheter and she said she had only seen one time in all her years that he had to leave a drain.

Dr. Kim's pre-op diet does seem to be a standard two week diet on the shakes you buy from his office. I am almost six months out and still try to have a Protein drink a few times a week. When I went in last week for my regular check-up, I bought more just because I haven't found too many others that I like and the price comes out about the same. I think the post-op diet was four weeks of liquids and then a couple weeks of mushy foods. How funny that I never thought I would live through it and now I am forgetting what it was already. :-) He gives you a ton of information in the BENDS classes about the diet.

As far as which surgeon is better, we each have to make the personal decision on that with what best fit our own needs. Do your research and ask tons of questions until you feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose. In the DFW metroplex area we are very fortunate that we have multiple great doctors to choose from.

I had my surgery performed by Dr. Kim on June 25th at Baylor Trophy Club. As far as pre op diets go, he does want you to choose from 2 different Protein drinks: either Opti Fast or Bari Essentials. I chose the latter because it contained less sugar and quite honestly, it was delicious. I asked why we were limied to just these choices and he told me that these 2 Proteins were the most efficient at shrinking the liver pre surgery, which is a very important issue. Prior to requiring this, he had patients coming into surgery with various stages of liver shrinkage which caused some issues, so this is a way of "standardizing" the results. I am 4 weeks out and I can honestly say I have not yet had any difficulties whatsoever. Surgery was a breeze, I was discharged the next day and I was able to walk a mile and a half a day after that.

No pain meds needed at home, I can drink the necessary amounts of Water (64-80oz) with no trouble and I have no issues with reflux, taste changes or getting the required amount of protein. Long story short, it feels like I never had an operation.

I highly recommend Dr. Kim from my own personal experience, and if you have any questions at all, please feel free to message me.

Good luck!

PS- I have lost a total of 37 pounds in 4 weeks...11 from the pre op diet and 26 post op.

Small world, I'm having my surgery with Dr. Kim on the 31st as well. I can't wait to get it done. This two week pre-op diet is no joke.

Thanks Amy! Dr. Nicholson is another surgeon I am considering. Would you happen to know how many patients he performs surgery on per day? 13 patients seems excessive to me.

Dr. Nicholson is amazing, as is Brittany his PA!!! I can't say enough wonderful things about him, he is very personable and I felt so confident in my decision to be sleeved by him! Forest Park is a wonderful facility, truly top notch!

Went to my first BEND class last week at Dr. Kim's office. The nutritionist said they will soon be dropping the Optifast brand shakes and only offering BariEssentials.

Just my opinion, but I wasn't too impressed with the first class and the information presented. The NUT handed out photocopies of 3 very different diets and said "choose one you prefer" and basically read from a PowerPoint the rest of the meeting. The handouts for the diet were very confusing as well and she didn't do a very good job of explaining them. In essence one is balanced diet, one is low fat and one is high Protein which I'm trying to follow.

I've started drinking Protein Shakes for Breakfast and hope to replace 2 meals a day with the shakes by the time I "hopefully" get insurance approval. Then switching to 2 week liquid per-op diet should be less of a shock!

Hopefully the next 2 classes will be more productive and interesting! It's all part of the journey to get my sleeve so I'm staying positive!

That being said, everyone at Dr. Kim's office has been very pleasant and the insurance coordinators really know their stuff ;)

Went to my first BEND class last week at Dr. Kim's office. The nutritionist said they will soon be dropping the Optifast brand shakes and only offering BariEssentials.

Just my opinion, but I wasn't too impressed with the first class and the information presented. The NUT handed out photocopies of 3 very different diets and said "choose one you prefer" and basically read from a PowerPoint the rest of the meeting. The handouts for the diet were very confusing as well and she didn't do a very good job of explaining them. In essence one is balanced diet, one is low fat and one is high Protein which I'm trying to follow.

I've started drinking Protein Shakes for Breakfast and hope to replace 2 meals a day with the shakes by the time I "hopefully" get insurance approval. Then switching to 2 week liquid per-op diet should be less of a shock!

Hopefully the next 2 classes will be more productive and interesting! It's all part of the journey to get my sleeve so I'm staying positive!

That being said, everyone at Dr. Kim's office has been very pleasant and the insurance coordinators really know their stuff ;)

Thanks for sharing this information! Is Dr. Kim's cost still $12,500? Price is only one factor for me.

Hi all. I am being sleeved on July 31 by Dr David Kim at Forest Park in Dallas. I was just curious about what to expect...

How was the facility? Nurses?

How long were you there?

What type of pain control was used? Was Dr Kim good at getting the gas out?

Was a family member able to stay at all times with you?

Any tips on things to bring with me?

Sorry! I am just so excited and it would be great to get a few pointers from some that is familiar with Dr Kim or the facility.

I second everything VSG Journey said. Bring lip balm, toothbrush and a communication device. Pack what you feel like you might need, but I guarantee you won't use 90% of it ;) All you want to do is sleep. Hydrate yourself well the week before, because you won't get ANYthing by mouth until the following morning after the leak test.

It was a very good experience. I was WELL cared for, even all the way at the end of the hall.

I'm not self-pay but a glace at his website shows the price as $12,300 ;)

http://www.drdkim.net/html/bariatric-weight-loss-surgery-payment-options-dallas-tx.html#pricing

Has any one gone to Dr. Kim that live outside the Colleyville area? I live about 150 miles South and wondering how long I need to plan on staying in a hotel. Also, what is his pre op diet like? I finish up my BEND classes this Thursday and have my edg next Thursday. That should be the last of the requirements - both Aetnas and Dr. Kim's.

I am 5' 5" and currently 230.

I travelled from Albuquerque to Dr. Kim, and He wanted me to stay in town for a week, or almost a week. I ended up staying that long just because I didn't feel well enough to drive back just yet.

I stayed at the Hyatt Place right near Forest Park. It was nice.