Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Post Op. Can Eat Whole Sandwich?

My younger son has always done this kind of conversation shift. We'd be having a family discussion at dinner about something and my youngest would suddenly ask a totally unrelated off the wall question. My oldest son would always raise his arms above his head and do the twilight zone music and say "Bubba has jumped the shark!"

Land Shark!

How far out are you?

I order a kids pack sandwhich- no bread- (ever) just the meat- cheese- tomatoes and spinach- sometimes olives - and it takes me two sittings just to eat that! I'm almost 10 weeks out.

Oh duh- never mind- I saw how far! Lol

Honestly I only ate 2 miniscule bites of the wheat bread. The 2/3 of the chicken breast really filled me up and there was only about a tiny bit of lettuce. I think I probably shouldn't have had the two bites of wheat bread but I was so hungry after having walked about 5 miles on the strip in 100 plus degrees and I hadn't eaten any Breakfast. I think I was just really hungry, which is rare since being sleeved. If I had eaten breakfast like I normally do, I probably wouldn't have eaten half of the chicken breast :-). I ate some chicken breast tonight and was only able to eat 2 ounces. If i would have tried to eat the chicken breast WITH bread I probably would have only managed 3-4 bites. That bread is HUGE. My sleeve restriction is still really good and I'm happy with it. :-) I was eating about the same amount you were at 10 weeks.

Why no bread?

If your still loosing weight then enjoy your self. Most of these "experts" and "patients who are eating exactly what they are told" don't want you to enjoy your self. I do. So if it works then do it. If you think your overdoing it or stretching your stomach, "I don't know if its possible" then back off a bit. I was told by my surgeon and other bariatric surgeons that eventually your stomach will grow back to almost of what it has been before. I was told I had about a year to two year window to loose the weight before my stomach would grow back. So I shouldn't over due it but I should teach my self new good eating habits. But my whole point is this. Since as you know eating is not the same and it sometimes sucks, when you do something that isn't hurting you and you are enjoying your self, you are still loosing weight, continue to do it. I think these dietitions are mad that no one in the medical industry doesn't take them seriously they take what they can get and treat us like Sugar, Honey, Iced, 'Tea, if you know what I mean. They have the God complex. They love to tell you, "you can't" do this and you "must" do this. "Oh boy these idiots actually listen to the crap I tell them" Just use common sense. What every they tell you check it out first. My doctor always disagrees with my dietitian. When she tells me something I just ask my surgeon just to prove my point. Its fun to watch them disagree.

Dude. You trolling?

LOL!

No, sleeved patients' stomachs do not "grow back."

@ ... you've been badly educated by your surgeon's practice.

I also love hotdogs at a game since I am also a Season ticket holder for the Yankees. But then I remember that eating hotdogs and beers at a game is what started my weight gain . Take that into consideration since we all made a sacrifice to have a surgery for weight loss to change our habits from the past not to be looking forward to that hotdog. When I take my daughter to the games I look at a pic of me before surgery and it reminds me where I don't want to be again. Just a thought.

post-244766-14626353075787_thumb.jpg

Well...you might like them, but...hot dogs are not considered any where near good nutrition! I know it is "American" to eat hot dogs and sugar and white flour/bread, but...this is also why Americans are so obese!

My suggestion is to select nutritious food that fuels your body in the most effective way. Go with a mostly plant-based diet! Don't be over concerned with not being able to eat unhealthy food, concentrate on eating a diet full of nutrient rich plant-based foods. Even though you've been sleeved, you can still eat junk food and you can gain weight. I think a better option is to take advantage of your awesome tool and fuel yourself with good nutrition.

That's my two cents.

I think we need to stop policing other's choices unless they are asking for input. There is a big difference between the occasional hot dog at a baseball game or on the 4th of July and making it a regular part of one's choices.

The OP was illustrating his post with volume he could consume.

I'm a huge baseball fan. My husband works for the SF Giants. I get to two or three games a year. Someday I'd like to have a hotdog or half a bratwurst at a game. That won't happen this season. In the meantime, the Giants actually have a vegetable garden and adjacent food options that are organic, grown right there in the Park, and including vegan choices. It was the idea of one of our players, actually. It started out as an avocado tree grown from a pit by one of the grounds crew. True story.

My point is, not everyone wants, needs, or enjoys eating your way. Or mine. And that's fine. What we all need to do is keep an eye on our own choices, making sure that they're volume-appropriate, nutritionally dense, and enjoyable. There is room in everyone's life for the occasional different choice so long as we're mindful of how often "occasional" is.

That's right, Keep believing what ever they tell you, don't check it out for yourself

most definitely you are trolling to start this on a thread from 2012, couple with the fact you just joined today and you haven't even had the surgery yet. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by snokb04

@ ... what have you "checked out for yourself"? Have you reviewed x-rays of WLS patients' stomachs pre- and post-op 1, 2, 3 years down the road?

Seriously -- why should you believe your doctor, but I should not believe my doctor or the ASMBS's version of WLS?

Do you seriously believe that the stomach fundus (the 85% that is removed during sleeve surgery) actually re-grows itself?

Seriously?

That's like saying you had your gall bladder taken out and then -- whoops! -- there it is again!

I don't think your stomach grows back. It's tissue which has been removed. As with all surgeries, there is swelling which may take time to go down. When the swelling is gone, that creates a bit more space.

@

Dude. Just stop. You're making yourself look really foolish.

People can naturally eat more the further out they get due to some hormonal changes and some loosening of the sleeve. It may stretch a bit, but it certainly doesn't "grow". Stop using that word.

And by the way, some of the people you are arguing with are very successful WLS patients who know what they are talking about.

So just staaaap.

Yes, you can eat more as time goes along, especially if you don't change your lifestyle. That's a given.

But your stomach doesn't grow back. That was my point of contention with what you said initially.

Good luck to you. I hope WLS works out for you if you go that route.

Why even eat those foods. That is what got to the point of having to have WLS. You need to change your life for ever.

I'm 8 weeks out and I have lost 60 LBS and no stalls.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Once again, those of us who have had WLS and have lived this surgery and lost a lot of weight and who are maintaining our weight loss and have had much more WLS education than you -- both classroom education AND education gained from relearning how to eat as a WLS patient -- understand clearly that long-term success comes from changing our lifestyle.

You aren't explaining something to us that we haven't already learned much better than you by merit of the fact that we are living this reality and you aren't living it yet.

Second, if you actually watched that video by Dr. Weiner (which apparently you haven't, but most of us have because he's a very popular online educator / bariatric surgeon) you would have learned that he says here (as in other videos he's published online) that the sleeve (or the pouch, in the case of gastric bypass patients) does not change post-op. Once again -- change in stomach size is not a factor in weight regain. Weight regain is primarily due to patient reversion to old pre-op habits and eating choices.

Finally, your initial insistence that post-WLS stomachs regrow to their initial size is physically impossible and simply does not happen.

For some dumb reason, you're confounding your initial argument by assuming that we don't know that we can eat more several years down the road. Believe me, we know this. But it is not because we have grown new stomachs.

I don't think anyone here requires your lectures. Frankly, those of us who have been on this journey for some time know a helluva lot more about this than you.

Finally, I hope that if you go forward with WLS that you have great success with it. I certainly have.