Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List Of Can/can't Eat Foods...

Hey guys/girls,

I have posted a couple things here and there on VST asking some questions. I am not sleeved as of now and am still doing some serious research into it at this time. I have talked to a couple people about things that they can and can not have after their sleeve. I find it interesting in the differences that I get from talking to people and comparing it to some of the things that I see here that some of you say is now on the can't eat list.

I am not concerned about fast foods or junk foods at all as I basically have eliminated them completely from my intake anyway. I have been on high protein/low carb for a bit and I don't have a bit of a problem with that. I do however find that my body already HATES any kind of fried food.

Some of the things that I have noticed that I hear different opinions on are.... Red meat, salad, nuts, certain veggies, and sugar. I hear the sugar related to dumping and I know that sugar is frowned upon anyway but does it become a disagreeing thing for you?? How about your dairy products??? Did you develop any lactose issues?

Still searching..... Thanks for your time guys. Dave.

I am one of the lucky ones, or unlucky depending how you look at it lol. I have had no problem with anything I've put into my mouth. I've had bread (though only a couple bites), red meat, a bite of cake. None upset my stomach. Now they taste different. Not sure if it's because I hadn't had them in moths or if my taste has truly changed. Hope this helped a little.

Only issue I've had is with sustagen-- think its the milk and sugar combo. Everything else (although only week 3 and haven't had veggies, bread or cake) has been well received including puréed roast and mince with lentils puréed.

I switched to A2 milk, it's Protein is broken therefore easier to digest. Not sure what u call it is USA tho.

I am one of the lucky ones, or unlucky depending how you look at it lol. I have had no problem with anything I've put into my mouth. I've had bread (though only a couple bites), red meat, a bite of cake. None upset my stomach. Now they taste different. Not sure if it's because I hadn't had them in moths or if my taste has truly changed. Hope this helped a little.

I think that would be a great think honestly as I am sort of a picky eater anyway and the thought of becoming lactose intolerant kinda scares me. Even now as I have pretty much eliminated a lot of stuff I can tell. Sweet stuff especially is different. I had drank so much Water and Powerade zero, which I love by the way that I had a regular orange Gatorade and it was SO sweet tasting! I know that may sound stupid but I can already tell that much difference. Even a lot of greasy fast food stinks!! I drove past a couple restaurants the other day with the windows down and I almost wanted to hurl!! The thought of Long Johns is instant convulsions...

I am one year post op and I can eat anything with no problems. I eat exactly what my family does just in teeny tiny portions.

Hi Dave,

I am 8 months out and 100 lbs down, during my rapid weight loss period, I discovered my stomach did care for bread, skim milk or Greek yogurt. I never got sick, it just felt odd. Today, all is well but I just make wise choices. I use soy in my coffee and not milk, if I have bread whole grain and I Always eat Protein first. It is now my lifestyle. I had a piece of chocolate cake on my sons birthday this month, and it was great. I just did not eat half the cake :). The VSG has been one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself and family.

Good luck to you, I hope you have a fantastic journey as well!

My nutritionist said not to eat bread or rice. She said it expanded in the stomach. I have eaten small amounts of each without problem. With the exception of sugar, I eat whatever everyone else is eating, just mini portions.

I can eat everything so far.

Thick liquids (like Protein drinks) sit heavy, but I can drink them slowly.

no problems with anything, even early out-- hence my name "sleeve of steel"

Hi Dave I am 2 years out this week and there are some foods that I do not/cannot eat:

Sugar - though I am technically capable of eating sugary foods, it quickly feels like a terrible decision, like all the bad parts of getting drunk.

Beans, lentils - this one really sucks, as these are a great source of Protein and Fiber. The only way I can eat either of these foods is if they are pureed, I eat only a teeny (1/4 C) amount, and they are chased with some kind of digestion aid.

rice - again, technically yes I can but it's just not worth it. You know how you're not supposed to throw rice at weddings anymore because if birds eat the rice it makes their stomachs explode? Yeah.

These are some no-go foods, the list of foods that are capricious is trickier, a sort of "roll of the sleeve" if you will, you never know what your stomach's got up it's sleeve ...

eggs - Sleeve loves eggs, except when she doesn't, she's sees no reason to warn one when she's uninterested in eggs, unless you consider dumping a warning.

ground beef - same.

frankfurters - man, this can go wrong SO FAST :(

I think that would be a great think honestly as I am sort of a picky eater anyway and the thought of becoming lactose intolerant kinda scares me. Even now as I have pretty much eliminated a lot of stuff I can tell. Sweet stuff especially is different. I had drank so much Water and Powerade zero' date=' which I love by the way that I had a regular orange Gatorade and it was SO sweet tasting! I know that may sound stupid but I can already tell that much difference. Even a lot of greasy fast food stinks!! I drove past a couple restaurants the other day with the windows down and I almost wanted to hurl!! The thought of Long Johns is instant convulsions...[/quote']

Agreed on the fried stuff. Haven't tried anything fried because it smells so bad. Like old bad grease. And yes, everything sweet tastes sickenly sweet.

I'm about a week out and so far haven't found anything that I can't have - I'm on full liquids and puree just about everything and thin it, LOL, so I've had everything from chicken noodle Soup to vegetable beef soup to spicy tortilla soup. The beef and chicken didn't bother me nor did the spice from the tortilla soup. I have yet to try bread or rice as I am not to this stage yet, but I don't anticipate any issues there either, because I can tolerate grits and cream of wheat very well also. Good luck!

JenniJune - I'm happy for you that you haven't undergone the misery of dumping or sliming, they are horrible! However, I'm willing to get yelled at here, it isn't always a good thing when we can handle all those things early out. Speaking as an "old timer" (2 years out this week), we see plenty of people who are freshly post-op come on here and say how ecited they are that they have no problem handling a bunch of foods, when they should be asking themselves whether they should actually be eating them, regardless of ability. Just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Yes, I am technically capable of eating bread and Pasta and swigging a soda, does that mean I should? If I could at a few weeks out or months out, should I have? No, the answer is no.

Globe and other a year out plus....I am wondering if you can drink any carbonated drinks at your point in life? I am a wine collector and while I don't drink champagne daily, it is a lovely wine and I'm wondering if that is just going to be something I have to give up? I don't mind letting go of other carbonated items, and will give up champs as well for life ilf necessary but I'd love to think I can still have a small taste when we're touring the caves or celebrating something.

Globe and other a year out plus....I am wondering if you can drink any carbonated drinks at your point in life? I am a wine collector and while I don't drink champagne daily, it is a lovely wine and I'm wondering if that is just going to be something I have to give up? I don't mind letting go of other carbonated items, and will give up champs as well for life ilf necessary but I'd love to think I can still have a small taste when we're touring the caves or celebrating something.

I do drink coke zero. Not very often but if I want one I get it and have no problem drinking it. Some people think it will stretch out your stomach but my surgeon said he took almost all of the stretchy part out and what I have left is fairly muscular and will never stretch out. My motto is all things in moderation.