Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Proteins Pack Or Servings Were You Able To Drink A Day?

I want to know how many packs/servings where you able to get down per day for the first week after surgery? I got my sample packs of nectar (14) and I will need to purchase some more Protein Powder for the pre op three day liquid diet. So what it looks like I will do is buy a large container of a Protein. Even if I dont like it post surgery I have to get it down. What I planned on doing was trying all the flavors post op and then buy a larger bulk but I dont know if 14 will hold me plus I dont want to wait until last minute. Also, how long were you on the Clear Liquids before you moved over to mushies?

I am 6 weeks out and do two Protein Drinks a day. My Doc and Nut require 80g of Protein a day. I try not to buy a big thing of Protein Powder only because I get bored. Amazon.com was a good source for me - nectar Cappuccino and their chocolate truffle were two of my favorites and I purchased two 12 single packs. My latest thing now is the Pure Protein Drink in a can. Right after surgery I couldn't stand these but as time past I started liking them again and they aren't too sweet and go down very easily. Also, you may want to consider getting some of the Unjury chicken broth - during the first few weeks after surgery you get very tired of drinking "sweet" all the time.

Clear Liquids are clear like broth, Isopure anything you can see through, sugar-free Jello / sugar-free popsicles. This is usually in the hospital until you go home or usually up to a full week depending on your doctor.

Full liquids are your Protein shakes like the chocolate etc. low sugar yogurt, sugar-free pudding, cream strained Soups.

I was on full liquids 5 weeks, many people aren't on full liquids a long time.

I was on clears in the hospital and then saturday - Wednesday. Then I went to Full liquids. I think I went through 2 or 3 bottles of Isopure and chicken broth. Each bottle of Isopure is 20 ounces and 40 grams of Protein, though I didn't end up with 40 grams a protein a day. You have to work up to it. I was happy to get down 10-15 grams of protein through the Isopure a day. I was close to my 64 ounces of Water though.

I also wasn't having any carbs, the first week getting your liquid (water etc. in ) is imperative. The protein, you got a while before you become protein deficient they want you to get as much as you can in, but Water then protein is the important thing.

Your taste buds WILL change pre-surgery and after surgery. I had two tubs of my favorite Protein shake, which I used 7 months prior to surgery daily. I couldn't tolerate it, it made me gag after surgery until almost 5 weeks out. I am now back to drinking it.

If you find a flavor of Syntrax nectar you like, check around you to see if there is a Vitamin Shoppe around you. Compare the prices. The Fuzzy Navel was $59.00 at Syntrax and Vitamin Shoppe had it for $33.49 that's a big savings. Just check out Vitamin Shoppe online before you go and if their shoppe has it for more, tell them what price it is online and they will give you the online price.

Good luck to you and best wishes.

I was on clears in the hospital and then saturday - Wednesday. Then I went to Full liquids. I think I went through 2 or 3 bottles of Isopure and chicken broth. Each bottle of Isopure is 20 ounces and 40 grams of Protein, though I didn't end up with 40 grams a Protein a day. You have to work up to it. I was happy to get down 10-15 grams of protein through the Isopure a day.

So is that 2-3 bottles daily?

You will want to check with your Doctor on what they require. I was only on clear liquids for the two days in the hospital and then immediatly moved to full liquids once home. My Doc required me to try to get in my Protein which counts towards the liquid that I needed to get in during the day. Protein is super important while you are healing and you will get your energy back sooner. Again though - you will want to follow what your Doc requires... after all that's why you are going to him.

The Unjury is pretty close to chicken broth - I added some green onions (didn't eat them just for flavor) and a little soy sauce. As I progressed I added in egg to make it like egg flower Soup. It's the one large Protein container I did buy and have gone through 2 of them.

I didn't worry about Protein my first week. It's much more important to be hydrated, and I was pretty much reliant on ice chips for any volume that wasn't a fraction of an ounce.

Unless they've specifically told you otherwise, 80gm is something you would work up to, not something you have to nail from day 1. It was probably 4 - 5 weeks before I could get all my Protein, and only because I was allowed soft foods by that point. The viscosity of Protein drinks (the ones I had tried by then) did not agree with me. I would not have been able to get in more than about 40gm MAX through protein drinks in my first several weeks.

1C homemade chicken stock will have about 20gm Protein.

I already know what my doctors requires Protein wise, I just was asking a question about chicken broth. I'll ask in the food section.

So is that 2-3 bottles daily?

No.....it took me over a week to finish 3 bottles. I got in as much Protein as I could. each bottle is 40 grams of Protein, I was lucky to get in 1/2 a bottle a day.

Oh okay. Thanks everyone. I will stick with the fourteen packs, and make chicken stock. Do you know if I can make it in advance and freeze it? I would think so. I don't want to have to be tempted to eat the chicken so I want to make them a few days prior to surgery.

You absolutely can, I've done this for years. I use stock in most savory dishes that require Water (substitute an equal part stock). I make the stock in my crockpot and then portion it out. Here's what I would recommend:

• Roast the chicken/veggies before you simmer them. MUCH more flavor.
  • When your stock is the color & flavor you want, refrigerate it overnight. That way the fat will harden at the top and you can easily remove it (unless you need it right away)
  • I pour my chilled stock into a muffin tin with 1/2C wells. A batch of stock fits nicely into 2 pans. You can also use ice cube trays, but 1/2C is an easier portion to work with IMO/IME.
  • Once frozen, just run the tray bottom under one of the cups, then press lightly with your thumb. The "muffin" should come right out. You can then freeze the individual "muffins" in a ziploc bag, but do it quickly. If they start to melt, they will freeze together. You can also wrap each with a bit of waxed paper if you want, though that shouldn't be needed.

It's probably good in the freezer for a year or so, but I don't keep it past 6 months, and it's always gone long before then.

HTH

Once you have our stock made,

Oh okay. Thanks everyone. I will stick with the fourteen packs, and make chicken stock. Do you know if I can make it in advance and freeze it? I would think so. I don't want to have to be tempted to eat the chicken so I want to make them a few days prior to surgery.

I was actually able to get all my fluids and Protein requirements during those first few days on clear liquids. I was drinking 1 1/2 bottles of Isopure, in a large cup with ice, to just sip,sip,sip. I added chicken broth and beef consomme for my lunch and dinner to increase the protein and for variety. Started every morning with hot vanilla chai Decaf tea and just totally got on board with the process. By day 3 post-op I moved on to full liquids/shakes and have stayed with Pure Protein as my staple (I buy one tub a month) as I drink 1 shake per day and I have Protein Bars in the afternoon plus what I get from regular foods.