Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Horseback Riders?

Hi all,

I was sleeved on June 14th. Prior to surgery riding had become a chore & I couldn't do much under saddle! And trying to find a dressage saddle to fit ALL my curves was quite a challenge. I'm happy to report I rode my pony for the 2nd time ever & first time post op & it was fabulous!!! I had so much fun & did not get out of breath at all!! I can't wait to see how I feel when I get closer to my goal...I've decided a new saddle will be my present to myself. Very excited. I'll post pics when I'm on my laptop. I'd love to connect w/any vsg horseback riders out there & hear your stories!

Hi! I'm a horseback rider as well! One of my main goals with all of this, was to help my riding skills improve! Congratulations on your recent ride! I'm hoping to schedule my surgery at my doctors appointment the 31st!

I rode horses as a teenager and recently told my daughter when I get near my goal I want to ride a horse again. that is actually the only thing I want

Well, I must say that riding now is like a whole different experience. I am out there galloping around, having a grand time as opposed to carefully walking when I was so much heavier.

Side note, yesterday my horse and I were out alone, waiting on a friend when we encountered a mama black bear and her cubs! It was scary, but also very very cool. My horse was nervous, but didn't freak - he is a good boy! It was a reminder of how much better it is now, if we had taken off at a mad gallop, I can ride it out fine these days so it makes me feel so much more confident!

My saddle is way big for me now, but that is okay. That saddle fits my horse so well so I am just going to buy one of those fleece seat cushions to take up some of the extra space.

My riding horse is 21, and he is a really fine horse. i like alot of tough trail riding, mountain riding etc so I am looking for a younger horse to bring along as my next partner for that kind of riding. (The old man has a forever home with me!). That is my gift to myself, now that I am more capable of riding well, I feel in a much better position to find myself a younger horse.

Hi! I'm a horseback rider as well! One of my main goals with all of this, was to help my riding skills improve! Congratulations on your recent ride! I'm hoping to schedule my surgery at my doctors appointment the 31st!

Thank you & best of luck with your surgery!!! It was the best decision I ever made =)

Well, I must say that riding now is like a whole different experience. I am out there galloping around, having a grand time as opposed to carefully walking when I was so much heavier.

Side note, yesterday my horse and I were out alone, waiting on a friend when we encountered a mama black bear and her cubs! It was scary, but also very very cool. My horse was nervous, but didn't freak - he is a good boy! It was a reminder of how much better it is now, if we had taken off at a mad gallop, I can ride it out fine these days so it makes me feel so much more confident!

My saddle is way big for me now, but that is okay. That saddle fits my horse so well so I am just going to buy one of those fleece seat cushions to take up some of the extra space.

My riding horse is 21, and he is a really fine horse. i like alot of tough trail riding, mountain riding etc so I am looking for a younger horse to bring along as my next partner for that kind of riding. (The old man has a forever home with me!). That is my gift to myself, now that I am more capable of riding well, I feel in a much better position to find myself a younger horse.

That's so exciting! I can't wait to lose more weight & boost my confidence even more. I was a pretty confident rider before I gained all the weight & then my confidence took a huge hit. It was a big step for me to get on my green pony & she took good care of me =)

I rode horses as a teenager and recently told my daughter when I get near my goal I want to ride a horse again. that is actually the only thing I want

I missed riding a lot...I felt my weight was interfering w/my position & I was so uncomfortable riding started to be a chore...I ended up stopping for a while but I'm do excited now to be cleared to ride & to be losing weight making it so much easier!! Best of luck to you in your journey!

i also am a rider and i feel like my horse is also loving the 120lb weight loss! i never wanted to ride when i was heavier because i felt so awful and felt bad for him, even though he is abelgian draft horse lol were both enjoying our time together a lot more now!

Oh I am sooooo excited to hear about your guys journey and success. I currently own four horses and they keep me very busy, as they are all green. I can't wait to loose this extra weight, as I know my riding will improve. I hated being the "heavy-girl" on the horse!

i also am a rider and i feel like my horse is also loving the 120lb weight loss! i never wanted to ride when i was heavier because i felt so awful and felt bad for him, even though he is abelgian draft horse lol were both enjoying our time together a lot more now!

That's awesome!! When I was at my heaviest I considered selling my Warmblood to get a heavier draft horse but I knew then I wouldn't lose the weight & it still wasn't fair to the horse to have so much weight on its back. I rescued a 14.1h pony from a slaughter pen last September. I had no plans to keep her but I ended up keeping her & am making it my goal to keep riding her :) I'm down to 192....still heavy for a pony but I'm not doing anything excessive & shes not complaining =)

Oh I am sooooo excited to hear about your guys journey and success. I currently own four horses and they keep me very busy, as they are all green. I can't wait to loose this extra weight, as I know my riding will improve. I hated being the "heavy-girl" on the horse!

I'm quite content to be down to 1 pony & 2 minis =) (closer to the ground haha).

I used to ride when I was lighter. Last time i wanted to get on a horse I was surrounded by PETA and the humane society and ejected from the property.

:lol: (JK) But seriously, I could not torture an animal that way. Who knows though, in 50 more pounds, I may take it up again!!

I used to ride when I was lighter. Last time i wanted to get on a horse I was surrounded by PETA and the humane society and ejected from the property.

:lol: (JK) But seriously, I could not torture an animal that way. Who knows though, in 50 more pounds, I may take it up again!!

Haha! You should ride again! It's unbelievable how much more enjoyable it is now!!

U guys inspire me to ride again! I was in an accident three years ago and broke my back in three places. I always felt that my weight contributed to the severity of the injury. I see my horses from my kitchen window, but a part of me is still very hesitant. I'm afraid of falling again, and I'm worried about how my bones would tolerate a fall. However, I'm not quite ready to sell them yet. I don't know, maybe some day I'll actually take the plunge and ride again.

Happy Trails!

U guys inspire me to ride again! I was in an accident three years ago and broke my back in three places. I always felt that my weight contributed to the severity of the injury. I see my horses from my kitchen window, but a part of me is still very hesitant. I'm afraid of falling again, and I'm worried about how my bones would tolerate a fall. However, I'm not quite ready to sell them yet. I don't know, maybe some day I'll actually take the plunge and ride again.

Happy Trails!

The same thing happened to me! I was in a riding accident in December & had an L1 fx. I think my weight had a lot to do w/the fracture & I've been VERY hesitant about getting on another horse for that reason.