Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Roll Call

G'day fellow Aussies!

Our section of LBT has been a little quiet lately - there seems to be a few regular Aussie LBT posters, but I am sure that there's many more of us lurking around...

...so, it's now time to show yourselves.

How about a quick post onto this thread to let us know who you are, where in Australia you're from, your progress so far etc.

You are welcome to include any questions / issues / information you have for discussion, or any support that you may be needing right now too - after all, we're all here to help each other!

Okay - I'll start:

I'm Anna from Aspendale. I hang out here at LBT most weeknights, and sometimes over the weekend too if I can get time. I particularly enjoy reading the Aussie posts on LBT - the Aussie perspectives are highly relatable, common sense, and refreshing to read. I'd like to see more Aussie involvement around LBT, and in our own little corner of the forum (one of the reasons why I started this thread).

I am counting the days until my pre-op fast begins (16) and operation (30). I'm currently enjoying the last days of not concentrating on chewing every bite, but also wanting the banding to begin! Worried / working on strategies to deal with head hunger issues post-banding - this is one of my biggest concerns right now.

Looking forward to hearing from all the other Aussies around LBT. So it's cheers from me, and good-onya mates!

Hi Anna :rolleyes: Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

I'm Jess - from Prahran (Melbourne). I was banded 18 months ago. Lost down to 74kgs earlier this year, then had a breast reduction and Tummy Tuck to get rid of the excess skin. Unfortunately, my band has now slipped - just found out today.

I've managed to put on a few kilos as well.. back up to 80kgs. Didn't go to the gym for a while and ended up eating crap, as I was too tight and that's all I could get down easily (bad me!).

So I'm attempting to jump back on the wagon at the moment.

Head hunger issues suck big time. Wish I had some good sound advice for you, but honestly, I think its something we all struggle with. One thing that helped me with it early on, is knowing how much time/money/effort I'd put into banding. That kept me eating healthy. Course, closer you get to goal, if you're like me, the more you think you can have that piece of <insert nawty food here>. I'll probably always struggle with that a bit, but even as fickle as my band has been, I still love it. Its opened up all kinds of possibilities to me.

I'm Sam, from Brisbane.

I am 18 months out, and 3 weeks post op from my abdominoplasty.

I am under my goal weight (135/60 kg) and am trying to stop losing at this stage of the game. I may have to have an unfill to help with that.

Congrats on being banded Anna. It is well worth it.

Jess, I am sorry to hear about your slip. Are they hopeful that removing all the fill will fix the slip, or are the doc's talking reposition?

Jess, I am sorry to hear about your slip. Are they hopeful that removing all the fill will fix the slip, or are the doc's talking reposition?

Thanks :rolleyes: But I knew going into this that shit happens lol ... I'll just keep going. For now, they are hoping that the removing of the fill will fix the slip. If not, they'll reposition. The doc was saying that a new band came out this year that's more flexible, thus they're seeing less slips. But if it just came out this year, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give it a go yet.

I'm happy to do whatever I need to do to get it back into place though, so I can catch up with you :girl_hug: Looking fantastic, by the way!! :clap2:

Howdy stranger! Sorry to hear you're having troubles, I guess you just need to sit down and remember how far you have come and take a positive view of it.

How are you feeling? All healed up and back to normal? I would imagine it would take a while to get back into a good exercise routine after a big round of surgery and that small gains are entirely normal and very common.

G'Day Aussie Chick & Jachut - nice to talk again.

Hi Jess - nice to meet you. Sorry to hear that you have a slipped band. Hope that it rights itself without further surgery. Your avatar pic looks great - and well done on achieving such a healthy weight. I dream of describing my weight as a two-digit number with a 7 at the start!

I am going to need tummy / hips / chest fixed at the end of the weight loss, which scares me more than the band and all of its issues - I'll be looking to Jess and Aussie Chick for inspiration!!

I have heard that there was a new generation of band out now - but that's all I heard until Jess said the new type's more flexible. I'm not sure what band I'll be getting in October - the existing band or the new one?? I'll ask the surgeon when I go and see him later this month for my final pre-op visit. Not sure I'd want to try the new one out until it was proven as better / more durable / safer / less likekly to slip etc. I am sooooo conservative I frighten even myself at times!

Guest myband

Hi All,

I actually need a good kick up the butt.

Have not lost anything for quite a few months, I still have 10kg to lose.

Have good restriction even tho I can eat mostly everything, but have not been making the right food choices.

I need to get motivated to go back to walking and exercising.

I live in the Warrenwood area.

Hi Anna, it was great to meet you last wednesday. I have the new band but am only 3 weeks in so can't tell you much. I am looking forward to meeting you again at costello's on the 16th.

Hi

I am Kel and from Newcastle. I was banded 17 mths ago and have lost 80 lbs. I had a TT/breast lift in March this year.

I too check out LBT most days, usually at night when the kids have gone to bed. I am getting married this weekend and have been flat out organising everything.

Jess - I am so glad to see you, I was really worried, I have emailed and smsed you a few times to see if you were ok. So sorry to hear about your slip and I hope an unfill will be the solution. Hows your results from the TT was it everything you expected? The swelling has and still is a big shitter for me.

Hey Aussie's!

I am an American but just saw the news about Steve Irwin, one of your own. I am sure that he was very loved in Australia and I am sorry for your loss! We love him here in America too!

KICK!!! (that's for myband, she requested it! LOL!) But seriously myband - just hang out with us, and we'll encourage you. Come to our meeting in Berwick on the 16th if you can - a face to face chat with us may give you a boost.:welldoneclap:

Hi again tarajane! :biggrin1: Hope you are still progressing well with your healing stage. We'll order you Soup & milkshakes on the 16th LOL! I'll not have started pre-op yet, so will be chowing down on my HUGE steak LOL!!!(no, seriously, I'll be felling self-concious / guilty about eating normally amongst bandsters I think.)

and HERE COMES THE BRIDE!!! Yippee!!! A bandster wedding!!! CONGRATULATIONS KELLIEBELLIE!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Howdy stranger! Sorry to hear you're having troubles, I guess you just need to sit down and remember how far you have come and take a positive view of it.

How are you feeling? All healed up and back to normal? I would imagine it would take a while to get back into a good exercise routine after a big round of surgery and that small gains are entirely normal and very common.

Hey Jacqui!! As far as the tt and reduction goes, I'm all healed up from that. The scars aren't *too* bad, except under the breasts. I guess because its a crease, they take longer to heal. I'm very happy with the results though.

The surgeon said I could start exercising after 6 weeks. I was slack LOL .. I didn't get back into the gym until 3 weeks ago. I'm feeling the burn, but in a good way.

I'd love to catch up with you ladies again some time, but the next meet up is on a day that I have to take Jasmine to horse riding school camp.

By the way - OMG you're falling away to nothing lol. 86kgs?!? Well done!!

I am going to need tummy / hips / chest fixed at the end of the weight loss, which scares me more than the band and all of its issues - I'll be looking to Jess and Aussie Chick for inspiration!!

to slip etc. I am sooooo conservative I frighten even myself at times

I stressed soooooooooo much before the TT and reduction. About the pain, about the results, about not waking up lol.. the lot. But in all honesty, healing from that, for me, was 10x easier than healing from the band, even though it was a much bigger surgery and I was out for heaps longer. I guess its just because I was healthier. I only needed morphine for a few hours after the surgery, then panadol was sufficient. Was in the hospital for 5 days, but was up walking around the next morning just fine (okay, there was a bit of pain lol, but nothing like I expected).

You'll do fine :welldoneclap: And if you have any questions, feel free to yell out!

Hi

I am Kel and from Newcastle. I was banded 17 mths ago and have lost 80 lbs. I had a TT/breast lift in March this year.

I too check out LBT most days, usually at night when the kids have gone to bed. I am getting married this weekend and have been flat out organising everything.

Jess - I am so glad to see you, I was really worried, I have emailed and smsed you a few times to see if you were ok. So sorry to hear about your slip and I hope an unfill will be the solution. Hows your results from the TT was it everything you expected? The swelling has and still is a big shitter for me.

Kel!!!!!!! OMG I can't believe the wedding has crept up this fast! I bet you and Paul have your hands full right now. I'm so happy for you .. can't wait to see the pics.

The TT and reduction results have been great so far. The swelling is completely gone, now if the scars would do the same lol. The only bit I'm really not happy with is the lil gathered bits, at the end of the scarlines (where evidently, they've gathered the skin together?) Its small though so no big deal.

Are ya'll honeymooning? If so, where? One of these days David and I are going to make it up there and visit ya. We've been to Sydney a dozen times this year .. but next time we're going central coast.

Hugs! and congrats on the upcoming wedding :welldoneclap: Its about damn time lol.

Hi,

I am Lisa in Berwick. Banded in April this year. No weight loss thus far. Did the 2wks Optifast prior to op, no weight loss then either. One week prior to optifast had to fast for another operation, no weight loss there either. Sounds like a pattern.

I want to see the kgs drop. I am dishearten and started to eat poor food in the last 1-2wks. (Plus eating crap is easier) I dont regret doing this, I no I am still on my L-plates but maintaining my weight previously wasnt my problem - I want to see weight drop. I expected on fasting/optifast to see weight drop. I speak to other bansters and no until the last week or 2 I have been pretty good. Oh well, guessing it will happen one day, just dont really understand why it hasnt yet.

I've had 5 adjustments. I also have PCOS.

Regards,

Lisa